MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you intervene?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you ask for the tenner back

Whilst waiting in a fast food queue, you spot a £10 note on the floor. You ask the person in front if it’s theirs, they say no, and pick it up saying they’ll check with counter staff. Once there instead they simply pocket the money. Do you say something before they leave the queue or keep quiet?
Click reply to have your say.

Note: This was inspired by a story in London's Metro newspaper, 9 Sept 2008

Previous MMDs:

Would you leave a small shop in the lurch?
Would you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• I would never have asked if it was theirs in the first place - I'd just have pocketed it. ;)
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

• sidefx
    sidefx Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    I would never have asked if it was theirs in the first place - I'd just have pocketed it. ;)

Me too :o:o :cool:
  • the idea is, they pocketed the money after saying they would hand it in!
  • First, I don't do fast food chains, then if I was there, I would have pocketed it and I have done so in the past, but put it in the charity box, it could have been anyones.
    But - in this scenario, I would have made a fuss, I have a temper you dont mess with
  • I would speak up, quietly at first, reminding them they had forgotten to ask about the money. My next move would depend on their response.
    Assuming they had deliberately decided to keep it, I would look for the biggest guy around and tell him what was going on so he could tell them it was his money they found, and sit back to watch the fun.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I think I'd suddenly realise that I had dropped it myself and had not enough money to pay with.
  • I would have picked it up, walked straight out of the burger bar and gone to Wetherspoons had a Curry and a pint and still have change.
    Hello again
  • Dorrie
    Dorrie Posts: 66
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would challenge it and ask for the manager!
  • In a situation like that, in public, I would probably say nothing. I'm a wimp. But I'd turn on my lethal, shrivel-up-and-die-on-the-spot, hope-you-suffer-horribly-by-having-terminal-nits, what-an-unspeakable-rotter glare as they left the premises, which has been known to make a grown barrister cry.
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What do you think is going to happen if you hand it in? Unless it's a huge amount of money that's likely to be claimed it's either going to
    • Go straight into the pocket of the person you give it to
    • Sit in an office waiting to be claimed before going into the pocket of the staff or more likely, the manager.
    • Go towards the profit of the business that you hand it to.
    The person who owned it aren't going to come and claim it so whatever you do with it, you're just making a choice of who's pocket it's going into. Might as well be your own or the guy that was clever enough to pick it up before you did.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure