MMD: Should you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

You’re strapped for money and couldn’t afford a family getaway this summer. Yet you notice a super-bargainous holiday to Majorca in the last week of September. It’s much cheaper than the sky-high peak season prices and within reach of your budget. The catch is it would mean taking the children out of school in term time. The kids, aged 8 and 10, would miss ten days of lessons for the hol. You’re worried out them getting behind, but think it will be educational for them to experience another culture. Would you take them out of school for the holiday?

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Think you have made a mistake there Jenny ;)

EDIT : Whoops, you beat me to it! lol

My reponse would be, so long as it didn't interfere with major exams, then I would quite happily take my children out of school for a holiday.

We are actually going away in the first week in October this year.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes I'd take an 8 & 10 year old out of school for a holiday, if it was the last week in September. In fact I wouldn't even hesitate to do it if that is what was the most suitable thing for the family.

blackcat.gif
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As far as I know you have to get the school's permission? I have taken my grandchildren on holiday in term time, with the school's permission. I always make sure that they learn about the culture and some of the language. Provided the school has no objection I can't see the problem - and neither of them have fallen behind with their schoolwork, quite the opposite they have both always get really good school reports.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can't for personal reasons, but if I could....then I would.

It's all very well when we had people like Tony Blair bleating on about parents not taking children out of school, and his government threatening fines for doing so....unlike him, we don't get holidays given away!

His out of touch government should reserve their annoyance for the reason poorer parents take kids out of school - the rip-off holiday companies hiking the prices every single school holiday.
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Two weeks out of school in the Autumn term is enough to miss an entire scheme of work of a specific genre in, say, English. If that is the only possibility for the parent and children to take a holiday, then fine as the benefits to family life may well outway any formal education loss. If it is done purely for a cheap deal, then go ahead - but do not convince yourself it will make no difference to your child`s education - it will. I am doubtful that a two week package break on one of the costas will particularly broaden the experience of other cultures?
    As you can guess - I am a teacher!
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
  • enor
    enor Posts: 88 Forumite
    Absolutely 100% would take them out of school, if I could get away with it! I'd also take them out for the day if I felt there was a worthwhile event or just for a break. They're my children not the schools or the governments so as long as they're cared for I can't see why it should matter.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    YES: but I would ask the primary school for work well in advance, and make sure it was done well.

After the dreadful summer we have just had I amsure their health would benefit!

When our kids were that age OH was on a leave rota -choice of holiday times went to those with the longest company service. We had to take our family holiday when the rota dictated or go without. When he first worked there our "summer" holiday was in October!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes, I would take them on holiday in an instant, so long as we are not talking about 16 year old about to do their exams or something.

Frankly the whole school system is far too serious nowadays.If people really believe a child's whole education would be ruined by missing a week or so of school they need to lighten up. Whatever happened to enjoying your childhood?
  • Quite agree - make the most of childhood while you can. The grind starts soon enough, there's too many exam pressures and incredible stress on primary school children imho; and such a narrow repetitive curriculum it will hardly matter in the scheme of things, especially with all that endless coaching for SATS - and I am a primary teacher/deputy head. Don't think you can expect the school to supply and mark work missed though.
  • parahandy
    parahandy Posts: 739
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm having to take our daughter out of primary school for a week and one day in October as we're going to Canada, but it coincides with the Scottish October school week.

I did actually write a letter to the school asking for "authorisation", but they ignored it...
    Everybody dies, but not everyone truly lives
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport