sprouting seeds**to eat**

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 10 April 2012 at 11:00AM in Old style MoneySaving
I have been sprouting seeds on and off for over 30 years. Mainly during the winter time and particularly between the months of january and june, when there is a `hungry gap` in the organic veg scene. The benefits of eating seed sprouts are huge and here is just a starter
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/sproutbenefits.html

It is very easy and cheap to start at a basic level and alfalfa is probably the best and nicest beginner seed. It is lovely raw on sandwiches and in salads. It has a lovely mild taste

This is what I used when I started:
1 large jar (kilner type with large opening)
piece of stocking or tights
elastic band to put around stocking lid
organic alfalfa seeds (beanfreaks or cheaper on net)

put a desertspoon of seeds in jar and soak in water for a few hours. Strain and rinse with cold water through the mesh. Leave upside down at an angle to drain. Repeat the rinsing a few times a day. Seeds will be ready when the coats start to fall off. Take out and rinse in a bowl of water. Scoop seedlings up, drain and store in a lidded box in fridge. Takes about 4 days or so

Easy peasy. You can graduate onto bought sprouters and my final one at home is a big round one that rinses automatically

I use alfalfa, radish, broccolli, fenugreek, aduki etc Don`t bother trying the large seeds in this jar method as the jars are too small.

Official MoneySavingExpert insert: Thanks to kittie for starting this great thread. Now that Spring has sprung, it's a great time to think about growing your own fruit and veg and a great way to save money too!

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• kiwichick
    kiwichick Posts: 1,857
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    YUM YUM. I do this too, my absolute FAVE is sprouted mung beans, nice and crunchy, perfect for salads.
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hope this isnt a silly question, but can you use this method for bean sprouts? and where do you buy your seeds form? Thanks, Catherine x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Bean sprouts are just sprouted mung beans. I have made them loads of times. You need to soak the seeds overnight. You could use the jar method but you shouldn`t put many seeds in as they grow big and wouldn`t have enough room.

Tesco will do
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I sprout mung beans too,these are the ones used for beansprouts.I've got some on the go at the moment.They don't turn out as straight and pale as the ones in the shops,they're curlier and you get the delicious greenskins to(you can wash these off if you really want to).

Mung beans are available in some supermarkets or in any health food shop.I use 2 tbsp at a time,a packet lasts for ages.I find them invaluable in winter when I don't buy lettuce(I like to buy seasonal and local).They're particularly good in cheese toasties with a dollop of mayo.I think they taste nuttier than ready-sprouted bean sprouts.
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    Thank you kittie, think i will give that a go, especially as i tried to buy some bean sprouts yesterday in Morrisons, and they didnt have any!!!! Would be nice to grow my own!!!
    Catherine x
  • comping_cat
    Forumite
    Also, i think my children might eat them if they helped grow them!!!!
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    I regularly eat sprouted seeds, but have yet to sprout my own. 2006 will be the year for that, I think! (I keep getting mixed sprouted seeds in my organic box, and they're not really all that fresh, so they've been putting me off a little).

Just to say, though, that when I was eating these daily (in my lunchtime sandwich and maybe a tablespoon scattered over my evening meal) I felt a lot more full of energy. I can only describe myself as more vital when these are a regular part of my diet. Stands to reason really, they're SO GOOD for you! I think alfalfa is a complete protein, too, so ideal for veggies!
  • Ronankfan
    Ronankfan Posts: 707
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am going to have a go at growing my own - i also agree with catowen i think my children would find it interesting seeing them grow and that might encourage them to eat them
  • Apparently you can survive on eating nothing but alfalfa sprouts as they contain absolutely everything you need to sustain. I think Id need buckets of them to stay full though!! Sprouts are definetly a superfood in their own right and are sooooo good for you. My children love almost any sprouted seed and munch them straight out of the jar! All children I know eat them here when I serve them and to be honest, they are so difficult for kids not to like them as theyre just so delicious. Oh, and its really fun sprouting them too!!
  • Just a quick question, Do you grow the seeds in the dark or not?
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure