August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Actually, I've been inspired to put the worlds easiest pizza recipe up anyway, so everybody can have a go... They turn out massive and I reckon it costs £1.13!

Gather:
    175g plain flour - 4p
    Packet of fast action dried yeast - 6p
    Tsp salt - free from the cupboard!
    1/2 tsp sugar - free from the cupboard!
    1 tablespoon olive oil - free from the cupboard!
    120ml of medium hot water - free from the tap!

1 can chopped tomatoes - 21p
    1 little onion - 10p
    Some cooked ham / dubious looking mushrooms from the back of the fridge / sliced up onion / can of tuna - whatever you like!
    175g grated mozzarella - 72p (in an emergency, cheddar is fine but mozzarella is more stringy and pizza-like and around the same price)

Method:
    1. Sieve all the dry base stuff into a bowl. Add the oil and water and mix it all through to form a smooth dough - add a bit more flour if it's too sticky. Kneed this for about 10 mins until its all glossy then pop it in a bowl somewhere warm until it doubles in size (about an hour).

2. Meanwhile, make the tomato topping - chop the onion up small, saute it off, then add the can of tomatoes. Simmer this until its all reduced down and thick.

3. Put the oven on to 210 degrees

4. Get the pizza dough back out and kneed it again for about 3 mins, then form it into a thin pizza base shape on a floured baking tray. Make sure to give it thicker edges etc and make it quite thin otherwise it wont really cook through.

5. Put on the tomato topping, then the ham & mushrooms, then the cheese.

6. Bake it in the oven until the cheese is all melty (about 10 mins)

Et voila! The best pizza ever.
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    scotsaver wrote: »
    Turbo5019 - think it was you who was asking about HM Sausage Rolls, when I make mine I make up a packet of Sage & Onion stuffing and add that to the Sausagemeat which bulks it out to make more Sausage Rolls and also makes them taste even nicer.
    It was me I am going to cook them tonight. Went to cook them last week forgot to freeze the puff pastery and it had gone past used by date and gone moldy:eek: so got some more today and will give it ago.

Thanks Mrs M about the tomatoes I never thought about roasting them will give it ago. My tomatoes are still green but my nan has loads.

Congrats Chell:j :j get as much help as you can and rest when Mara is asleep.

Well did my shopping at MrT spent £50.25. Went with parents finding it too hard to go on my own with DD2 and I feel like a beach whale. I had 2 £5 off £30 and a 50p MOC. I didn't really need any meat or fresh stuff so I stocked up on tinned stuff etc. Now have :-
    7 fabric con
    8 washing liquid
    7 washing up liquid
    5 bleach
    60 toilet rolls
    10 squash
    So I think it will keep me going for a while and I hope for plenty of NSD's
    Better update sig
    GC July £250/
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I went in our Savers today,and bought their last 4 packs of 6 (4+2 free)velvet toilet rolls for £1.36-think that was a really good price,have several packs already but want to stock up like turbo has-I resent paying full price for loo roll but hate the cheap stuff and my kids seem to use that up even faster. After reading up about the value stuff,I bought a pack of the 18p Tortilla chips-really crunchy and fresh tasting,will definately get them again.Does anyone know of a really cheap salsa type sauce (or recipe) to go with as my kids love the nachos thing with melted cheese on them (so do I actually,but my waistline doesn't!)
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • Hiya
    been lurkning away for a while and since i have been keeping my receipts and scaring myself when i realise I spend £300 a month not the virtuous £200 I convinced myself I had spent! Got loads of good ideas here tho' so am going to try and spend the £200 I think I spend (ahem)

So have written down spends in diary - trying to do the grocery challenge - lol so have outed myself, I know the months 11 days in can I please join - (kept receipts) so can tot it up and add to signature - can you put me down for £200?

This way I have to stick to my guns!!
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi SuziQ to go with the tortilla chips I normally just roast some veg, carrots, onion, tomatoes, courgette, peppers in fact anything that lurking in the fridge before next shop, drizzle it with a little oil, normally roast it down the bottom of the oven whilst doing the roast on a sunday, whizz it in the blender and add a drop or two of hot sauce to your own taste. I freeze pots of it so there is always some for ds2 when he is on a snack attack!
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you have all had a good day.

AngelNikki Thankyou for the Sweet & Sour recipe. We have just finished eating, it was delicious. DH said it was the best S&S he'd had. Thankyou.:T
    Brilliant meal to use the Mr Ms. diced chicken.

NSD today.:D
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • Hi Everyone!
    NSD! Lunch at my parents and finished the glamorgan sausages tonight with some of our whoopsied veg.
    Angelnikki-Lots of newbies have asked about helpful tips to get them started. Any chance of putting e.g. 10 top tips on the first page with the recipes. I know we'll probably have more than 10 but it may really help when people get started.. what do you think ???????
    Congrats Chell-Enjoy your beautiful new baby girl.
    KAAT-LADY-Glad you found Archie.
    Smiley S-I think you got some good bargains...which will be used but it must be hard if you love the feeling you get when you shop..I had to watch that when I first started, even got it on whoopsie hunts...but the feeling you get when you walk away from things you don't really neednand are in control of your spending is much better, believe me!!
    Teedy23-What holiday vouchers do you spend your Tesco points on?
    Keep up the good work everyone!!!
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    NSD again for me today.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    My tips would be:
    • Make a list of what you have in your cupboards & freezer
    • Make a mealplan to use what you already have in
    • Write a shopping list based on the meal plan, and only buy what's on the list
    • Read Martin's article on Supermarket Shopping
    • Take the downshift challenge - If you buy branded products try the store's own brand, if you buy own brand try value/smart price/basics instead
    • Use Vouchers & Money Off Codes
    • Dont go shopping when hungry or with OH/kids
    • Prevent food waste and only buy what you know you'll use/freeze before it goes off
    • Compare unit prices
    • Cook from scratch
    • Bake your own cakes/biscuits/snacks
    • S-t-r-e-t-c-h your meat with veg/oats/beans/lentils/...
    • Cook in bulk and then freeze for HM ready meals for lazy/busy days
    • Eat vegetarian meals more often
    • grow your own vegetables/fruit/herbs
    • whoopsie hunts/BOGOFs
    I've put a link to this post at the bottom of the Recipe Index along with the other tips ;)

philsmum :D glad you liked it, Well done you :T

Congratulations chell :j _party_

Nikki x
    :A
  • Hi Nikki
    Brilliant tips!!!!!
    I would also add:
    • grow your own vegetables/fruit/herbs
    • whoopsie hunts/BOGOFs
    Thanks for that. Hope its not too much extra work for you.
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport