August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Blairweech wrote: »
    So far I have spent £3.87, on bread and milk. My HM bread was yucky - it rose beautifully and got nice and crusty, but was sooooo yeasty it tasted like beer! :mad: Thats the 2nd time that has happened - what am I doing wrong :confused:

I use Doves Farm Quick Yeast (99p @ MrT) and it says on the side of the packet to use 1tsp yeast per 500g/1lb bread flour ;)

HM Bread

500g / 1lb bread flour
    1tsp salt
    1tsp sugar
    1tsp quick yeast
    275ml / 1/2 pint hand hot water
    1tbsp oil

Combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.
    Mix in the water & oil, and bring together to form a dough.
    Knead well for 5mins or until smooth.
    Shape and place in oiled loaf tins/on baking sheet, cover with a damp tea towel and leave for about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
    Knock it back, (punch it down & knead for a minute) cover and leave to rise for a further 30mins.
    Bake for between 25-45 mins depending on size at 220C/gas7.
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    For all who may be interested, Asda are selling Hovis white Bread mixes for 29p, only marginally dearer than doing it from scratch, and it is lovely.

So is MrT ;) Hovis White bread mix 29p, Hovis granary bread mix 27p
    :A
  • DdraigGoch
    DdraigGoch Posts: 730
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    So far I'm on target, even with OH going out and buying more dog food than we use in a month when I'd already bought a big bag full! Ah well, that's next month's dog food bought....

6 NSDs so far this month. It's easier when you leave your purse at home and live 6 miles from the shops anyway, but I do find myself "wanting" to spend money on food ... silly, isn't it?
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    I am still at £21 so very proud indeed. Can't see any more spend until Sunday really.

I've started a money saving blog so thought I'd drop a message on here - hoping to upload a new post every day so please do leave comments and let me know what you think so far!

Savings Now:
    http://savingsnow.blogspot.com
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,666
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've started a money saving blog so thought I'd drop a message on here - hoping to upload a new post every day so please do leave comments and let me know what you think so far!

Savings Now:
    http://savingsnow.blogspot.com

Doh! - I didn't read the title of the blog, just the address, and wondered why you were saving snow! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

have bookmarked it with the other blogs I read every couple of days:D

Gt
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • EargerLearner-Had a quick look and you've noted some interesting ideas. Thank you. SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    SFT how do you do it? im mind bloggled how you spend so little? xx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • 4Moneysaver
    4Moneysaver Posts: 116 Forumite
    Good afternoon everyone. I don't know what's going on with this weather, it's supposed to be nice but the clouds are really threatening rain over London. This will be my 2nd NSD; don't they feel good! Hope everyone has a lovely Friday evening.
    It's up to me now and nobody else.
  • searching_me
    I've always been careful with money (as is OB) so that helped when doing this challenge.
    Its just me and OB (old boyfriend/b*gger if he's misbehaving). I don't have to worry about children. OB is totally on side because he will benefit too *.
    Am away alot over summer so that food money comes out of holiday savings.
    When I'm at school I have a cooked lunch provided each day.
    I (like others) plan meals around BOGOFs, whoopsies. I calculate my long term spends into my total (according to how much I use per month) and stock non-perishables in garden shed.
    I hardly ever waste food, if someone (i.e. my sister) is chucking it I'll have it..
    We cook now and I eat better but less, portion sizes used to be huge.
    We grow loads of stuff in the garden.
    We always accept dinner invitations but we also invite people over.
    BUT MAINLY ITS MY GOAL-I'M DESPERATE TO GO TO COSTA RICA* NEXT YEAR !
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    :rotfl: the last one seems like the best one to me :rotfl: i think my biggest spend is my DD... me and OH dont tend to eat too much (although i do have a thing for diet coke :D ) im trying my best lol hope to be as good as you and mrs m one day :D xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • naturally_2
    naturally_2 Posts: 398 Forumite
    £6.57 spent today, out of next week's budget, but I needed a few bits to take me through the weekend. Still on track. Just had the most gorgeous bowl of strawberries, massive punnet from the greengrocers for £1 - a bit of a treat. I spent £5.09 in Mr T's and looked in wonderment at my laden bag full for that - and realised that nearly every item was Tesco Value or on very good offer! :rotfl: The only exception was 85p for a bag of lentils, which I begrudgingly bought because lentils will be cheaper than mince for lots of dishes, and Lidl have stopped selling them. Imagine how annoyed I was when I went to the greengrocer AFTER Mr T, and saw that you could buy two bags that size for £1!:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure