August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    I made the curry this morning,,

then took DH to the doctors where he got a prescription,, so off we toodles to MrT's to get it ..

as it was just after one o'clock we had to wait an hour for the pharmacy to open,, so we had a coffee,, picked up the prescription and headed home,,

on the way home remembered I had not the tax disc for the car so we detoured to get it and then found out we did not have any documents in the car,, so we went home,,

, to find the curry still on the hob with the gas still on,,,the smell of burning was atrocious,,It had tasted nice when we went out but now will have to throw it away,,

After that I took the documents down to the post office only to find out that the dvla had sent the wrong logbook back,,,, so did not get my tax disc,,,

therefore phoned them up and was on the phone for 14minutes,,, luckily I had gone through SAYNOTO0870 so it did not cost me anything to phone,,

they thought they had sent out the right documents so after a while he did my tax over the phone which will take 4-5 working days,,

and he will send me the correct documents out in the post as well

so have had a hectic day...........................and no curry

KAAT

One of "those days" then. ;) hope tomorrow is a better one!:p
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • fluffysox
    fluffysox Posts: 1,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone- off on hols tomorrow morning- apparently it's been 38 degrees in Spain today- aargh. Hope you all have a good week.
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • mumoffour77
    mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Im sooooo jealous fluffysox!!!
    I hope you have a great time!!:)
    :jIm going to be frugal:j
    :DIm going to be frugal:D
    ;)Im going to be frugal;)
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Haven't made these for a while but think I might do soon :)
    I suspect you could substitute another dried fruit instead of dates if you don't fancy them/have any in.

Date, Nut and Oat biscuits.
    • 125g butter
    • 100g caster sugar
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • 125g stoned chopped dates
    • 60g chopped walnuts or mixed nuts
    • 125g plain flour
    • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 1/2 tsp baking powder
    • pinch of salt
    • 90g rolled oats
    • 45g dessicated coconut
    • few drops vanilla essence
    1. Melt butter, add sugar and mix well.
    2. Pour into mixing bowl and add egg.
    3. Stir in dates together with walnuts.
    4. Sift flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt and add to butter mixture, then tipping in any bran left in sieve.
    5. Add oats, coconut and vanilla.
    6. Mix well, mixture is soft but will firm on cooling.
    7. Shape into balls and flatten out (of if still a bit wet), leaving room for spreading.
    8. Cook in pre-heated oven at 180 for 12 mins (until golden).
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    Sticky Date Muffins
    • 250g SR flour
    • 1 tsp bicarb of soda
    • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
    • 60g brown sugar
    • 90g butter
    • 125g chopped dates
    • 1 egg- lightly beaten
    • 250ml milk or buttermilk.
    1. Sift flour, bicarb and cinnamon together and set aside.
    2. Place sugar, butter and dates into a saucepan, heat over a low heat stirring constantly until butter melts.
    3. Pour date mixture on to dry ingredients, add egg and milk. Mix until just combined.
    4. Spoon mixture into 6 greased 250ml muffin tins (or 12 ish small ones) and bake in a medium oven (temp not stated but use normal muffin cooking temps of 200)for approx 30 mins until muffins are cooked when tested with a skewer.

• SAV3R
    SAV3R Posts: 222 Forumite
    turbo5019 wrote: »

Quick question has anyone frozen runner beans? if so do you blance them?
    if so how long and do they taste as nice from frozen sorry for all the questions.

I have been freezing runner beans for years, never blanched them. All I do is peel the edges, to prevent stringiness, then slice thinly and on the diagonal.
    When cooking I bring to the boil for 5-10 mins. I cannot stand shop bought frozen beans but these are delicious and we always have to save some for Xmas lunch. HTH
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi everyone. Sorry I have been out of contact for the last two days as I have had the DDs home for the weekend and today I accompanied DD1 on the bus to London to try out the route to uni for September which took up the whole day. (I know she's nearly 25, but the underground is confusing if you aren't used to it and she did ask me to go with her!) We were very MSE as we took our own sandwiches for lunch and drank water - though we did pop into a coffee shop for a coffee so we could use the loo! Unfortunately, despite the good forecast it rained and we shared our sandwiches under a brolly in Russell Square Gardens!

I have popped in to update my signature but haven't had time to read all the posts I have missed - will try and catch up this evening if I can.

Anyway, as far as the GC is concerned I have had two NSDs so far and should manage to avoid any until Weds or Thursday when I will only need the usual milk and F&V! We are off for a week to enjoy the Brecon Jazz Festival on Friday and although we are self catering I am not counting the food spend then in the challenge as it comes out of the holiday fund. The freezer is full so I am hoping to manage with few top ups till 29th August - so although I have spent more than half of my budget for the month I am optimistic.

I have also started the £1 a day for Christmas fund which is going well, and the Pin Money Savings are looking good this month too.

Hope everyone is feeling good - hugs to those that need them. I'm off to catch up on all that I have missed.

Love Moniker
  • OrkneyStar
    Forumite
    Thanks MrsM for the reply.
    I am waiting to see if anyone comes up with/I can find a recipe to use the mascarpone in (which I can freeze) and failing this will freeze the tub as it is.
    I would only be using it to cook anyway after defrosting.
    x

• Alexelisey
    Alexelisey Posts: 392 Forumite
    Well a NSD for groceries for me yesterday, although I did get a few things in the pound shop they didn't come out of the budget. Today has been one of my larger shops at Mr M and I spent £23.44. There weren't a huge amount of whoopsies but I did get some free range chicken breasts for £2.95 instead of £4.21, they've gone in the freezer. Country Life unsalted butter is 2 for £1.60 at my Mr M.

I admit I was a bit naughty - packaged leeks were over £1 for three and I only wanted one but they were a bit manky-leaved so I chose my leek and just before I got to the checkout I tore off the mankiest tops of the leaves, so naturally it weighed a bit less...:o I probably only saved a few pence but I wouldn't have used those bits anyway.

Well done on nabbing all that bread flour MrsM!

So I'm currently over what I should have spent, but last month was a bad one for the credit card as DS didn't come up with any money. CC is staying in my purse now, I have cash! :j

I should now be on NSDs until Friday, unless I need a pint of milk on Wednesday because DS is a guzzle guts. I bought 4 pints today, I bet it doesn't last.
    "...And if it don't feel good, what are you doing it for?" - Robbie Williams - 'Candy'
  • turbo5019
    turbo5019 Posts: 331
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SAV3R wrote: »
    I have been freezing runner beans for years, never blanched them. All I do is peel the edges, to prevent stringiness, then slice thinly and on the diagonal.
    When cooking I bring to the boil for 5-10 mins. I cannot stand shop bought frozen beans but these are delicious and we always have to save some for Xmas lunch. HTH
    Thank for that mum has given me a big bag and mine are ready to be picked.
    I am planting some more potaotes tomorrow at this rate xmas lunch will only cost me a chicken.

Right tea finally ready DD2 been playing up then early night want to get up early tomorrow to get some baking done I saw a space in freezer so what to fill it with hobnobs and weetabix brownies before DD2 goes to childmindes then I can put my feet up for the morning.
    GC July £250/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport