July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Afternoon all, I started catching up when it was still morning honest lol! I hope everyone is well Happy Birthday BargainRzzl and big hugs all round to everyone else :)

Thanks for the Dripak link Floxxie I didn't realise that they were based in my neck of the woods, I wonder if they have a factory shop! Like you I'm trying to use up the chemical cleaners and switch to the eco friendly ones, if you're worried about eco cleaners not getting rid of wiffs, you can add some bicarbonate of soda to help eliminate the odour and pour some hot water (left over from kettle or after boiled eggs etc) down the plug holes and drop in a few drops of essential oil, lavender, peppermint and any of the citrusy oils work well in the bathroom. I've been using white vinegar and homemade herb scented variations for cleaning as well as bicarb and soda crystals, cleans the home just as well if not better. It hit me when I thought back to what my Nan and Mum used, back them most cleaning was done with a bucket of hot soapy water and good old elbow grease. We've all been conned by the big companies that we need a bottle of different cleaner to do every cleaning job in the house. When we really just need a handful of things and a bucket of hot water! Off my soap box now :mad:

G&B the ginger cake minus treacle came out lovely, very moreish, DH wanted to take the cake in for the lads, its mine grrrooooffff! Will pick up some treacle for next time but it tasted lovely without and I didn't ice it either, the sultanas and crystallised ginger added were yummy additions to, so the actual recipe should be yummy as well, I'm norty though I hardly ever stick exactly to a recipe always put my own slant on it!

Wendywitch you asked for my choc orange muffin recipe, I'll go type it up and post it in a minute, I'm making somemore strawberry muffins today for the freezer. We were planning on going for a picnic this weekend, looks like it will rain all weekend though, so thought just incase we get some bright spots I'd make some goodies that we can defrost and go if the sun comes out. Any ideas for savoury things other than quiche or sausage rolls??? I'm wanting homemade stuff, and not the pork pie, sausage roll line, nothing wrong with that sort of thing don't get me wrong, just my DH won't eat it as he isn't keen on what he calls stodge.

DeniseF - Hope your cold is better and you're well on the mend? Not nice feeling like poorly when you have to keep things together for the family, make sure you take lots of rest as hard as it may be and keep looking after yourself. Don't do too much until you're feeling 100% (((((DeniseF))))) Right off to get some stuff done, more baking and some cleaning and I think I should make a start on next months meal plan, I know its early but if I know what I want, I can pick up bargains or not dpending on what I have in and what I'm making. Welcome to MissPin as well and all the other newbies, everyone is really helpful and friendly, look forward to swapping recipes, hints, tips and bargains with you :)

Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • hev_2
    hev_2 Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    Have updated my sig, haven't had time to catch up :(:(

So, going to add @ £5 to sig tonight having fish & chips from chippy - as I progress OS these may disappear to once a fortnight... This month, every Friday is chippy night, helps OH and me feel less deprived, but actually I'm not feeling deprived at all. Confused about how mealplans work, I'll admit to that!

I've just checked the meal plan for next week and I don't need to get anything in for those :j:j I have to say my track record with meal plans isn't great, but I have loads in. I just need to get stuff for DS - bananas, cherry toms, fridge pots (you know, yoghurt, fromage frais, that sort of stuff).

Also considering getting the ingredients in for the bounty balls, although I have never coated anything in chocolate in my life, so it is a bit of a nerve wracking thought - I am really accident prone and melted chocolate could end up anywhere!

But at the moment OH is buying two bounties every night at an average cost of 45p each. I am sure that the bounty balls cost less to make. Hmmm
    Always another chapter

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Herbaholic wrote: »
    G&B the ginger cake minus treacle came out lovely, very moreish, DH wanted to take the cake in for the lads, its mine grrrooooffff! Will pick up some treacle for next time but it tasted lovely without

I've had to do this before when I've run out of treacle (or molasses which I prefer to use). Last time I made flapjacks I decided to use half syrup/half molasses and they taste better than normal. I can't stop eating them (straight from the freezer too :rotfl:)
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    hev wrote: »
    Also considering getting the ingredients in for the bounty balls, although I have never coated anything in chocolate in my life, so it is a bit of a nerve wracking thought - I am really accident prone and melted chocolate could end up anywhere!

But at the moment OH is buying two bounties every night at an average cost of 45p each. I am sure that the bounty balls cost less to make. Hmmm

hev if you try the bounty balls you could make them a bit easier by putting the coconut mix on a tray, leaving that to set in the fridge and then just pour over the melted chocolate. Then leave that to set and slice. Much easier and less messy than doing balls coated in choc ;)

And dont worry about your mealplans. Some people on here just do a flexible plan which is just a list of 7 meals. Then they decide which one theyre gonna have the night/morning before so they can defrost stuff ready. That way if something comes up or they fancy something different they can just shuffle stuff round without having to feel like they cant have x because they were supposed to be having y IYSWIM :cool: Maybe you're more suited to that sort of mealplan? :question:

Happy Birthday Bargain Rzl :bdaycake:

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • hev,

I can recommend putting coconut mix in tray flatten with wet spatula,cover with cling film ,chill,then cover or drizzle with chocolate.Really ,really easy and delish.Plus it will save you a fortune.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    afternoon all:D hope your all well,jusdt been to mr m with my dad,got quite a few whoopsies for the freezer,will update sig shortly,blown it this month but hey im new and it will at least mean ive got loads in ready for next month,im also considering removing baby stuff from my total,not sure yet though,sorry about all the chit chat last night,giving you loads to catch up on,will go on night owls tonight honestly:o
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • MissPin
    MissPin Posts: 23 Forumite
    Does anyone else call twinks hobnobs "anzacs"? Or is that just us Aussie wannabes?
    GC July £110/£97.21 already spent:rolleyes:

GC August £100/£87.98 already spent:eek:
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    MissPin wrote: »
    Does anyone else call twinks hobnobs "anzacs"? Or is that just us Aussie wannabes?
    dont know about everyone else but i just call um twinks,;)
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • Herbaholic
    Herbaholic Posts: 304
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Here ya go Wendywitch my choc orange muffin recipe as promised.

Chocolate Orange Muffins (makes 12)

Dry Mix

300g Self Raising Flour
    2 Tsps Baking Powder
    Pinch Salt
    200g Castor Sugar
    Finely grated peel of 2 oranges
    1 Bar smartprice/value milk chocolate broken into small pieces (you get less if you do one for me one for the bowl, if you're going to do this option buy 2 bars!!!)

Wet Mix

100g Butter or marg melted
    Juice of 2 oranges
    Milk to make the juice from the oranges up to 250ml
    2 medium eggs lightly beaten
    few drops vanilla essence
    few drops orange extract (optional, just make it more orangey)

1) Melt the butter in a pan and and allow to cool, add the milk, orange juice and vanilla/orange extracts.

2) Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl

3) Add the wet mix to the dry mix and stir to combine, don't over beat it or the muffins won't rise. Cook for 20 - 30 minutes on gas mark 5 depending on your cooker, you may need longer or shorter cooking time, so keep an eye on them.

Note: To ring the changes you can make double choc n orange muffins, I use 50g cocoa to 250g flour to do this, the rest of the ingredients are the same, you can use plain choc if you like or use a bag of chocolate drops, I used the smartprice choc from the sweetie aisle after a few of the lovely ladies on here pointed out it was cheaper! You can use plain flour if you like, but I prefer S/R flour as the muffins are bigger yum!
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    MissPin wrote: »

I thought anzacs had coconut in them?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport