July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• timbo86
    timbo86 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Done the shopping just needed stuff for work so just the £3.73 spent good start to the month and that will be it till next weekend now.
    Save £1000 in 100 days 20th july - 22 oct - so far 25.00
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Golden Syrup Tart

Serves 4-6 (best make it at least 6 servings 'cos it's v.high in cals)

For the pastry
    75g (3oz) plain flour
    75g (3oz) wholemeal self-raising flour
    pinch of salt
    40g (1 ½ oz) butter or block margarine
    40g (1 ½ oz) lard
    1-2 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

Although I used this for the pastry this week
    225g (8oz) value plain flour
    pinch of salt
    100g (4oz stork margarine)
    3 tbs cold water
    1tbs milk

For the filling
    8tbls golden syrup, warmed
    100g (4oz) coarse breadcrumbs (great for using up those breadcrumbs I have been freezing for weeks and didn’t know what to do with)
    Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon (although I substituted with a teaspoon of bottled lemon juice that I have in the fridge)
    50g (2oz) ginger nut cookies, coarsely crushed (Tesco value work well)

Make the pastry
    Sift together the flour and salt into a bowl. Rub the fats into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a stiff dough with cold water. Roll out on a lightly flour surface, and use to line a 20cm (8 inch) pie/flan dish.

I use a Mermaid pie dish that I recently bought from Lakeland – before that my pastry had always been soggy – not sure if that is the secret of my new found pastry success or not.

Reserve the trimmings. Place pie dish in fridge to rest for 30 minutes.

Make the filling
    Mix the warmed golden syrup, breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice together. Spoon the mixture into the flan case then sprinkle the crushed cookies on top.

Roll the reserved trimmings, cut into 6mm (1/4 inch) wide strips and make a lattice pattern on top. Brush with milk. I have a Lakeland lattice roller that I bought many years ago and never used – makes the finished tart look quite professional.

Heat the oven to 180 deg celcius, 350 deg farenheit, gas mark 4. Bake for 30 minutes.

Variations: Use double the quantity of breadcrumbs instead of adding the cookies or add toasted wheatflakes – although I think the cooked ginger cookies really make the tart stand out for flavour – the cookies go quite gooey and chewy – yum.

FFM :)

How do i make breadcrumbs??? i know this sounds stupid. is it stale bread? do i toast it first?

also i have no ginger cookies what else could i use? il be using double breadcrubs
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks very much for the syrup tart recipe funkyfunkymonkey, I'm going to have a go next Saturday, got a busy week this week at work.
    Had a great no spend day today, made a gorgeous Sunday roast with beef my DD's boyfriend gave us, and made a white loaf - by hand this time ;)
    I'm very pleased it's turned out really tasty and have some for work sandwiches tomorrow with cheese spread on, and a couple of tomatoes in a tub.

Hope evryone's had a smashing day xx
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    BusyMum :hello: I've added you to the list on the first page. Good luck :)

Mumzy I make breadcrumbs by ripping up a slice of bread and then blending it with my stick blender until it looks like breadcrumbs. HTH

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • penguin83
    penguin83 Posts: 4,817
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Im in this month too please as its my first 'proper' go, I will set my target at £600.00 :eek: and see how we get on - wish me luck! x x
    Pay Debt by Xmas 16 - 0/12000
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    £600? That's a lot, just for food? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude.
  • mumzy, I make breadcrumbs when I have the end of a loaf that does not look as if it is going to get eaten. I tear up the bread and put it in my food processor (think it was rescued from the ark) then blitz it until I have breadcrumbs. I then put the breadcrumbs in an old icecream tub in the freezer, over the weeks the tub gets more and more full.

It does not matter for the syrup tart if the breadcrumbs are quite coarse - if anything it makes it more gooey/chewy. The fresher the bread the harder it is to make bread crumbs.

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Chocolate Fudge Cake

Serves 12-16

For the cake
    175g (6oz) self raising flour (4p)
    175g (6oz) Stork margarine (23p)
    175g (6oz) granulated sugar (14p)
    3 eggs, beaten (30p)
    75g ( 2 ¾ oz) plain chocolate, melted (21p)

For the frosting
    100g (3 ½ oz) unsalted value butter, melted (34p)
    100g (3 ½ oz) plain chocolate, melted (28p)
    175g (6oz) icing sugar, sifted (17p)
    45ml (3tbsp) milk (3p)

Total cost of ingredients = £1.74

Make the cake
    Preheat oven to 170 deg Celsius, 325 deg Fahrenheit, gas mark 3. Grease and line a deep-sided 20cm (8inch) round cake tin. Sift flour into a bowl. Add marg, sugar and eggs. Beat until smooth. Stir in the melted chocolate. Pour into prepared tin and level.

Bake for 50 mins or until cooked. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.

Make the frosting
    Melt butter and chocolate, add icing sugar and milk. Beat until smooth.
    Cut cake in half horizontally and, while frosting is still warm, use half to sandwich the cake back together. Spread remaining frosting over the top.

For special occasions decorate with Thornton’s chocolates/truffles, Cadbury’s chocolate mini eggs, Cadbury’s flakes etc

You can substitute milk chocolate for the plain, it still tastes as good and is slightly cheaper (23p per 100g instead of 28p per 100g). I use Tesco value chocolate not the one for baking but the one in the chocolate and sweet aisle – it’s cheaper.

AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Funkyfunkymonkey
    You've saved so much money!! Fantastic achievement!!

Will be thinking of you this week Mrs Mc

Off topic I know but...
    Wish me luck, back to school tomorrow to face the person who freaked out at me (for the 5th time) on Friday. Not looking forward to it..but you have to stand up to these type of people don't you.

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Barneysmom wrote: »
    £600? That's a lot, just for food? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude.

That's what I was spending this time last year in a month :o

Not now though :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure