June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »

I paid £30 for my three (use all each wash) and they came with refills too.
    I have used soap pods too and like them as well but find they do stick inside stuff easily whereas the Eco balls are nice and big. Only disadvantage I have found is that you are supposed to let them dry between uses so if wanting to do one load after another its a slight pain!
    hth
    I got my eco ball from Kleeneze and the soapnuts or soap pods online from ebay. I dont know why they are getting stuck inside stuff?(hope we are talking about the same thing). I put about 6 soapnuts in a pop sck(knee-high or stocking) and tie a knot in it. Drying any of these items between washes is not necessary-they only tell you to do that so that you dont store them away wet and then they would go yucky. Just pop it in your next wash and leave it to dry out when the washing is finished for the day.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Spent £13 at Mr T so on to update. Annoyed as I wouldn't have gone except my DS1 has cookery in school tomorrow and forgot to tell me I had to get ingredients. Now this is cookery. His lesson is to make trifle-from ready made jam swiss roll, a tin of fruit coctail and some whipping cream. No custard,no jelly and no cooking either from what I can see!

Got some bogof fahita wraps-now could anyone give me a cheap,easy recipe for salsa,and maybe what I would add ie if I do quorn pieces would it just be onion,tomatoes and quorn,maybe garlic,cooked togther??
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    SuziQ wrote: »
    Spent £13 at Mr T so on to update. Annoyed as I wouldn't have gone except my DS1 has cookery in school tomorrow and forgot to tell me I had to get ingredients. Now this is cooker. His lesson is to make trifle-from ready made jam swiss roll, a tin of fruit coctail and some whipping cream. No

It amazing what passes for cookery lessons isn't it :confused:
    my niece is 13 and when she has cookery -she gets her hair off as she learnt to cook with me and her mamma from being a tot... so now when she is at school she get into allsorts of scrapes for declaring "thats not right" "thats not how its done properly" -and she is usually right :rotfl:
    The other day they were told to take in a pack of digestives and some tubes of icing :eek: learning to decorate them will really keep her healthy and well fed when she goes to Uni.... im just glad she has learnt with us:D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Hi Guys,

Went to Mr A and stayed within my list was very proud of self. My garage, cupboards and fridge/freezers bursting and now got stuff in cupboard under stairs. My DH wants to know when ww3 is starting!?!?!?!

spent £60 but now not much needed for the rest of month.... only the legendary F + V. Should this be the name of the thread? lol.
    will update siggy in a min
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • newgran_2
    newgran_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Eco balls work by using 'ionic power' to clean and they do not leave a smell. I have used them on DS's clothes since he was about 2 months old, they shift most stains although not all. I bought them locally and the shop is not a chain but if you google them you should find supplies. The box lists the following,
    -safe and economical
    -less harsh chemicals
    -hypoallergenic for skin
    -anti-bacterial
    -no soapy residue
    -free of dye and perfumes
    -won't fade colours
    -not harmful to fibres
    -environmentally safe
    -ideal for septic tanks
    -easy to use
    -no scooping
    -light to carry
    -easy to store
    -reusable for up to 1000 washes
    -no need for softeners
    -around 3p per wash
    -saves water and electricity as can cut out rinse cycle.
    I paid £30 for my three (use all each wash) and they came with refills too.
    I have used soap pods too and like them as well but find they do stick inside stuff easily whereas the Eco balls are nice and big. Only disadvantage I have found is that you are supposed to let them dry between uses so if wanting to do one load after another its a slight pain!
    hth

Thanks... think i will look out for some....its difficult finding stuff thats perfume free and 1000 washes seems like it will last ages. Everyone on this site is so helpfull, looking forward to starting grocery challange in june after saving this months receipts...allthough i'm still watching pennies now.
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    searching_me I can't imagine how you must be feeling. ((((((((((Big Hugs)))))))))) :grouphug: Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Nikki
    xx
    :A
  • ((searching_me )) hope you know you've always got us!

so this evening made a prawn and veg curry using MrS basic's 9p curry sauce, and it was lovely.

have a lot of rice left over so i've cooled it under the tap and am about to put it in the fridge for rice salad tomorrow. now the question... can i freeze some of it?
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    I use the 'wash it' balls-have done for almost 3 years now and think they are great. Used to buy from QVC,but p&p got ridiculous and you always get a stain stick-they were useless so had loads in the cupboard,resented paying fo them! Now I just buy a wash it ball from betterware as and when I need one (usually 4 months-ish) for £5.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
  • hello
    Searching_me-hope you feel brighter tomorrow.

I've had a nsd today hurray!!! Now i've got to go and cook tea. We're using up remnants of pasta tonight, along with homemade bread, a bit of chicken and some roasted carrots, maybe a little white sauce too, depends how i feel when i reach the kitchen!
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Evening all

Thought i would pop back whilst i remember...just done hubby one of those baguettes with cheese salad and 1 for work tomorrow ...apparently they get a double thumbs up from hubby -who *quote* "will have these every day thankyou very much" :T
    I did suggest making them smaller -but hubby looked like i had told him i used to be a man :rotfl: ..so i guess they will be staying the same size:D
    They are a bit more faff than a standard loaf -but i have swipped a bite and they are more than worth it:j ... Plus when i make a loaf i can't get 3 lunches for hubby from it this only uses an extra 100g flour and will do 3 lunches and big ones at that
    so i thought i would share it with you all -just need to convince my self that i DON'T need those special baguetter trays :p

Apparently using less yeast and treble proving is the difference between these and normal bread

The recipe goes like this... a bit more faff than a basic loaf -but they do feel very different:D and im sure it will be quicker now i know what im doing
    • blend the 15g of fresh yeast with 550ml lukewarm water
    • sift the flours (500g bread and 115g plain)and 2tsp salt together -NB -i find that I always need about 100g more flour than suggested
    • beat half of the flour mix into the yeast/water to form a batter
    • cover with cling film/carrier bag and leave for about 3 hours or until about trebled in size
    • add the remaining flour a little at a time -mixing in with your hand (i found i needed quite a bit more flour at this point -think the flour out here is very soft)
    • tip onto a floured worktop and knead for 8-10 mins ... or as long as you can be bothered ;)
    • place in a clean bowl and cover for 1hr until doubled
    • knock back and turn out -cut into 3
    • shape each into a ball and then roll out to about 3"x6"
    • fold the bottom third up lengthways and the top third down and press down to seal the edges and roll out to 3"x6" again.. allow to rest whist you do the other 2 and then repeat each 2-3 times -ending up with an oblong
    • stretch each piece of dough to approx 14" -mine didn't end up that long :p .. i shaped mine by rolling up like a swiss roll and tucking the ends under
    • sprinkle flour on a tea towel and place 1 on... pinch the tea towel to make a wall -place the 2nd on and do the same
    • cover and allow to prove for 45-60 mins
    • pre-heat the oven to maximum
    • place rolls on a baking sheet -slash diagonally
    • place on the top shelf and spray the inside of the oven with water and bake for 20-25 mins (luckily i had a spare plant mister)
    • you need to spray the oven twice more during the 1st 5 mins
      hope you enjoy them :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills