June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• lday77
    lday77 Posts: 320 Forumite
    Had another nsd mainly due to having a bit of scare last night, phoned the midwife this morning and everything seems to be fine though and was told to just rest up all day. So I read my new library book and had left over chilli from last night and a jacket spud for my lunch, the chilli tasted even better than last night's.

Mrs M those quiches look lovely, I have got a block of pastry in the freezer, does anyone know if you can eat quiche whe pregnant I know eggs are a bit dodgy.

I wanted to try and make a lasagne at the weekend and freeze half has anyone tried this, I did it once before but when I re-cooked it from the freezer the pasta and cheese were all dry and hard, what did I do wrong?
    Murphy's No More Pies Member No. 28 on hold
  • Lula-Hula
    Lula-Hula Posts: 7,868
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

this thread runs like greased lightning :D
    I did my first grocery cahllenge shop today at Mr.T & was chuffed to bits that it came in at £46.65 of which £3.40 was on toiletries & £8.95 on household stuff like washing up liquid, loo roll etc.

So, really only £35.00 on groceries & got bogofs on fish fingers, frankfurters & branston beans so they're tucked away in freezer & store cupboard & should help lower next weeks challenge - yay. So I have £3.35 to last the week & apart from sugar which I forgot today I'm hoping that will do us.

Had a NSD yesterday & plan on having another tomorrow.

This is actually fun :D

Lula
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think so long as the eggs are fresh and properly cooked through you should be okay - I wouldn't eat an omelette but a properly baked quiche should be okay.

As for the lasagne - maybe more liquid was required?? I have found if I bake pasta that if I haven't covered it properly with sauce then it goes really hard.

Hope that's helpful.

Luc73
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Lucifa73
    Forumite
    Lula-Hula wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

this thread runs like greased lightning :D
    I did my first grocery cahllenge shop today at Mr.T & was chuffed to bits that it came in at £46.65 of which £3.40 was on toiletries & £8.95 on household stuff like washing up liquid, loo roll etc.

So, really only £35.00 on groceries & got bogofs on fish fingers, frankfurters & branston beans so they're tucked away in freezer & store cupboard & should help lower next weeks challenge - yay. So I have £3.35 to last the week & apart from sugar which I forgot today I'm hoping that will do us.

Had a NSD yesterday & plan on having another tomorrow.

This is actually fun :D

Lula

If the sugar is for tea/cereal perhaps now is the time to stop taking it? I was bet by my Dad that I couldn't go one week without sugar in my tea. I won the bet but at the end of the week the sugared tea was yucky and my sneaky old Dad had the last laugh!

As for cereal - I often have it without any sweetner but if I fancy a sugar hit I add fruit (fresh ot dried)
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    SPC 2019 #073

• Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Good Afternoon fellow challengers :D

First of all.....Dink1 Sorry to hear about hubby's job, i'm sure something will come up soon for him, Chin Up :dance:
    Mama67 looks like you been cooking up a storm :D Good for
    you
    Galadriel sorry to hear about your cold there seems to be
    loads of it about lately, get well soon
    lday take it easy, put your feet up ;)

Now an update :D
    Well i was having a NSD yesterday but when i came out from my legs,Bums n tums class i popped in aldi(next door) and picked up some bananas, breakfast cereal & some rolls spent £2.93. Not too bad but have deffinately had a NSD today :p
    The Cheese Biscuits i baked yesterday where a hit so will be doing more of those :D
    Seem to be doing well on the good news front lately....i only had one letter in the post today and it was a cheque from Moneysupermarket.com for £17.50 after changing my fuel supplier :j yay...wot a bonus :D

Keep it up everyone and keep those tips & recipes rolling in :beer:
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • Hi everyone - first spend of month £12 at Lidl which got me some veggies and £6 odd on dishwasher tabs... have made carrot and lentil soup, a loaf of bread in BM and tea is left over cauliflower and a cheese sauce I froze and forgot all brown and bubbling in oven, fish fingers, frozen mixed veg resurrected and new potatos, french sticks - we are using up left overs - good luck everyone and sorry Dinks1 for your DH job loss - hope there is something special coming up for him. I just wanted to finally say my son made a pizza at school recently and used short crust pastry - it was delicious - absolutely 100% yummy and made a change from proper base.
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Times New I2]Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale - Hans Christian Andersen[/FONT]
    2012 savings:remortgage £156.15pcm £5 pcm insurance reduced; 2012 Running totals: £10 goodwill requests/Grocery Coupons £12:T
  • Angelraesunshine
    Angelraesunshine Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    found out we had run out of squashes today my kids are gannets, had to get that on top of the fruit , veg and egs and one or two other items ended up spending £24.13 which is double what i was intending to spend but should last me more than a week i hope.
    Still Trying :o
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    £400/£000
  • carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afternoon everyone,

A NSD for us again today.

Started making some of the bounty bites that were posted earlier in the thread.
    Put them in the fridge to set over night and have done the coated chocolate today.... They look yummy and we have just tried one each.... yum... very nice and just like the real thing.

I made them with the "light" version of condensed milk and they have turned out well.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • Lucifa73
    Forumite
    carolt2 wrote: »
    Afternoon everyone,

A NSD for us again today.

Started making some of the bounty bites that were posted earlier in the thread.
    Put them in the fridge to set over night and have done the coated chocolate today.... They look yummy and we have just tried one each.... yum... very nice and just like the real thing.

I made them with the "light" version of condensed milk and they have turned out well.

They sound good but did a search and couldn't find recipe:confused: Where should I look for all these yummy things youall talk about so I'm not forever asking for links/recipes:o

Thanks

Luc73
    SPC 2019 #073

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Bounty Balls Recipe

These taste just like the brand name sweet and are very easy to make.

200g condensed milk
    100g desiccated coconut
    8oz icing sugar (approx)
    8oz chocolate
    1. Mix the milk and coconut together.
    2. Add enough icing sugar to form stiff dough which will form balls.
    3. Form small balls and leave to set on a tray until all the mixture is used.
    4. Place the tray into a fridge to set (over night is best).
    5. Coat the ball in melted choc and leave to set.
    6. Setting time minimum 4hrs.
    Alternative method:
    line a tray with greaseproof and spread the coconut mix into the tin leave until set (instead of rolling them out into balls). When set turn out and cut up into chunks. then cover with the chocolate.

Or
    line a tray with greaseproof and spread the coconut mix into the tin leave until set. When set pour over the melted chocolate and leave to set, then slice.
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport