PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    moo2moo wrote: »
    Sorry peeps the chicken didn't make it. The Chicken Fairy (tooth fairy derivative) came during the night so the kids woke up to a letter thanking them for taking very good care of their chicken. I know thats a very bizarre thing to do but it makes things easier for the 5 year old.

Thats the same 5 year old that happily goes outside to select which cockerel shes going to eat for dinner. Theres a fine line between food and pets. The girl chickens are egg laying pets and the boys are food. The kids like to bury each deceased pet but theres only so much space in the pet cemetery so the chickens are collected during the night from an appropriately cosy place by the chicken fairy.
    33vkutu.jpg
    Aww that's sooo sad hun xx
    Havin a NSD today and doing a bit of batch cooking.Weather's gorg here today, and even the dogs are sunbathing :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Hello all

Have Asda delivering this evening, got a free delivery code so am well chuffed.

Spent £64 roughly and £1.15 today on milk.

Yes I've found my £! Thanks to all who gave me instruction!

Looking to be on track for the month!

best wishes
    Charlotte
    Toughest form of moutain climbing is climbing out of a rut
    I WILL be debt free!
    I WILL be happy!
    red pen member 4
  • nessquic80
    nessquic80 Posts: 328 Forumite
    A big big thanks to twink for the hobnob recipe i went to mr ts today and got some porridge oaks and have cooked one lot already,they are lovely so much so ive had to freeze lemon cake cus its not getting a look in!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Thanks for all the recipes Mrs M, especially the courgette muffins, will definitely be trying them! If there hasn't been one posted before (I'm sure there probably has) my mum makes a mean beetroot cake I could get the recipe for.

So sorry to hear about the chicken moo2moo.

Happy Birthday Scotsaver, hope you have a lovely day.

I know some people bulk buy rice etc in hauge bags, can I ask where you get them from and if they need any special storage please?

HM bread and houmous for lunch today, nomnom, can't wait til the salad we have with it is homegrown too :j
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • hi fellow grocery challengees!

I have gone overbudget again this month and wonder if I am slicing my budget too thin. I have kept nearer to the amount I allowed myself than I would have done without this challenge so its an improvement.

I have done more baking and as I work nights have stuck to the plan of 'cook when off, freeze when not' and this means I'm batch cooking a lot more and hence using my slow cooker.

I'm still going to try for £250 again for May and hopefully will be able to do it this time!

Good luck everyone :)
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all

Been lurking & trying not to spend, but am still over this month....I think I might need to try for £250 for May to see if I can keep below this as I've gone over just about every moth. Still, I have learnt so much from this thread - I'm very grateful to everybody for their support - & the recipes & tips as well of course!! To that end I'm posting the recipe for IMPOSSIBLE COCONUT PIE as requested!

- 4 eggs
    - 6oz caster sugar (I used ordinary)
    - 2oz butter softened
    - 3oz plain flour sifted
    - 1/4 tsp salt
    - 1/2 tsp baking powder
    - 3/4 pt milk - any kind
    - 4oz desiccated coconut
    - 1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Pre-heat oven to 180/350 gas 3. Place all ingredients in large mixing bowl, then beat or whisk together till everything is combined.

Pour into a deep, greased 10in pie dish. Bake in oven for 30 mins or until puffed up & golden brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 mins at least (pie will deflate slightly), cut into wedges & serve hot or cold.

This is not overly sweet & will suit those who like egg custard as the middle layer is made of it. When you get it out of the oven it may seem a bit wobbly - although brown - but that is OK. On cooking it separates into a thin pastry-like crust, custard middle & crunchy coconut sponge topping - YUM.

On tasting it DH said - 'you can make this one again - how about tomorrow?' We ate it with a bit of HM jam on the side (tut tut) too.

BTW WEEZL we will be visiting Cardiff at the first May BH weekend - are there any OS shops I shoudl be visiting please? We will be staying in the centre for a couple of days & I know about the bargains on Lakeland's top floor as I found those last year...

TIA
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    clair2305 wrote: »
    thanks for this nyk, I do use the store brands, was just thinking of converting to the basics versions....I'll give it a go....is there any difference in taste? or it's cooking needs (does it hold a lot of water, anything else, etc)?

Thanks

I'd be telling lies if I said I could tell the difference. I've been using the basic versions for so long that I don't know what differences there are meant to be. To me, rice is rice and pasta is pasta, it's all down to how it's cooked and what's being eaten along with it. The only thing I can say I HAVE noticed is that some of the spaghetti is quite thin, so it cooks quicker, but that's even better as it's saving on electricity as well as purchase costs. :rotfl: The rice takes a few cold rinses to get the water running clear but that could be because mine is piled up and crammed into the cupboard, so gets a bnit more crushed than it should.
    I'm not the best of cooks, but I worked out the cost of last night's chicken curry with boiled rice and garlic/coriander naan; it came in at £1.50 for 3 adult sized meals and certainly no complaints.

Beating the system - my idea is to target the loss leaders in whichever store I visit, as and when available. This week it had to be tinned curry sauce at 5p/tin, shower gel at 10p/bottle and bubble bath at 20p/litre. The shower gel and bubble bath can be rebottled along with some homegrown rosemary or lavender. I leave it sealed for several months and then have my own supply of aromatherapy-type products in bulk ready for redistributing into small jars that can be decorated and personalised as gifts. :D I'm now wondering how easy it would be to melt and then reshape basic soap.

Moo2Moo - sorry to hear about the chicken :(
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    erm....eat everything?:rotfl: don't think you meant like that did you?! have you tried putting a hairdryer on the ice to try and melt it a bit? just wrap all the frozen food in newspaper whilst you're doing it, so it doesnt start to defrost

It's a frost free one, the food was what I meant. I just seem to have bits and more bits lurking in there. Example, one full tub of breadcumbs. A largish tub at that. I use them as toppings and stuffing but can't get any more use for them. I did try a crumb cookie recipe. It was horrible *spit spit* :confused::confused:
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I usually use Mr T value basmati rice which used to be 79p/kg bag now gone up to 99p/kg bag:eek: but saw this week that their own brand 4kg bag was on special at £3.60 so got one of those and put the remains after filling my tub up into the freezer(stops weevils hatching).

I also use value lasagne, spagetti, and pasta shapes from any of the supermarkets depending on which shop I'm in.

Just need to rinse the rice a couple of times in cold water to get the excess starch out.
    I have been using Jamies method though and once cooked tip rice through colander and then put back over pan it was cooked in with some of the cooking water underneath put lid over and let it steam for approx 5 mins, lovely and fluffy.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Arkonite, how about bulking out HM burgers with them? I only say this as I saw the burgers I want to make need breadcrumbs, I'm sure one of the proper cooks will have a great idea for them :D

Nyk, I know what you mean by a loss leader, but how do you find them IYSWIM?
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business