PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ventured into the supermarket again. I seem to have run the cupboards down to rock bottom now. Well as close to rock bottom as they are ever going to get!

I spent a whopping £8.72 in Asda but had MOCs for £7 of this. Then on to Tesco for an additional £40.56 (plus £9 of MOCs).
    I worked out what I would have ordered on-line from Tesco, printed off the shopping list and went to Asda. Saved £4.62 by buying from Asda products instead of Tesco. Purchased the remainder of the items from Tesco. Whoopsies were all premium brands and still overpriced. Bit the bullet and bought a jar of Tesco Value coffee. If its truly awful I'll mix it in with the normal Tesco coffee. Will let you know how I get on after I finish the herbal teas.

Had a lazy dinner tonight. Microwaved jacket potato with baked beans topped with cheese and chives. Not quite my intention but we arrived home to find one of the chickens had gone for a swim in the pond. DDs brought it in wet, very cold and barely breathing. Dried it off with a hairdryer and put in in the cat basket with a hot water bottle will wait and see if it makes it.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    well so much for good intentions!! went to Lidl and spent £10.49.....mind you i got some salad stuff, rice and the eggs were still cheaper than Mr T or Mr M, so thought i might as well get some. plus the herbal essences was BOGOF so i got 4 bottles to put away

then i popped to tesco just to get cottage cheese to make a quiche tomorrow, just to go in the freezer for teas later in the week

just off to update my sig now, catch you all later x
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm on a roll after getting the opportunity to travel into town and visit Mr T today. I have done a £10 shop that will last me the rest of this month, so am declaring myself finished at £86.65

I know this is only Monday, but it's an 80+ mile round trip to my nearest MrT so I had to take advantage of the opportunity. I have everything I could possibly need for the rest of this month and have also done my May main shop, but won't introduce that budget until 1st of the month. Saves me getting confused, as most folks on monthly salary don't get paid until Thursday or Friday.

I'm in for May with a budget of £100 :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • mandy_moo_1
    Combo Breaker First Post
    moo2moo wrote: »
    . Not quite my intention but we arrived home to find one of the chickens had gone for a swim in the pond. DDs brought it in wet, very cold and barely breathing. Dried it off with a hairdryer and put in in the cat basket with a hot water bottle will wait and see if it makes it.
    oh i've just seen your post....make sure you let us know how she's doing. one of my little yorkies decided to go fishing in my pond a while ago, must've taken a fancy to the fish! but it broke my heart when i had to drag her out all shivering. mind you, she loves the hairdryer, so i dont think she was too fussed!!
  • JennyBee_2
    JennyBee_2 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Hiya

Thanks for all the recipes! I popped into Morrisons today to get some fruit to have at work and ended up spending £8.98. For anyone who's interested they've got Dolmio Stir in sauces at £1.21 BOGOF (I know it's cheating!), Douwe Egberts coffee at £5.18 BOGOF and multipacks of snack a jacks for £1.69 (50% extra free so 9 bags instead of 6).

Have done meal plan and shopping list for May. Am going to try the tortillas - was wondering, can you cook them and then have them cold? Might be a random question - sorry!!

:)
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • weemissy
    weemissy Posts: 159 Forumite
    Hi everyone
    Waaaaaay past my bedtime but have been out at a PTA meeting. Feel back on track with meals. Yesterday came back from garden centre (thats another story) and had tortilla wraps with the last of this months chicken and loads of salad stuff, and HM coleslaw (thanks MrsM). Everyone left this am with very healthy packed lunches, and tonight we had spog bol made with very little mince, loads of veg and oats, padded it out so much there is enough left for me, DS and DD tomorrow night:D OH can have leftover meal from the freezer.

MRSM - have PMd you - thanks

X
    :hello:there's me, OH, DS 10, DD 7,
    and our deranged border collie - sadly put to sleep Aug 23rd 09 :cry: now have our GSD x collie oct 10
  • mandy_moo_1
    Combo Breaker First Post
    morning all :wave:

well i only need milk today, so lets see if i can stick to it! its only £1.09 in my corner shop for 4pints (cheaper than the flippin supermarkets:eek:) and everything else there is too dear, so theres no chance of me buying anything else there

so as long as i don't go anywhere near the town i'll be alright

gonna spend the morning doing housework cos i've got the landlord coming round to do an inspection at 12, so gonna whizz round with the vac, spray febreze everywhere to cover the doggy smell, and get my mum to take all 3 dogs for a good long walk along the beach, cos i'm not supposed to have any pets :rolleyes: just as well its a lovely day!!

see you all soon x
  • morning all,

going for a nsd today, might need milk later in the week but apart from that we are trying to spend no more (fingers crossed)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Stocked up on veg, milk, fruit and some meat at the weekend. Am REALLY missing not having a freezer!

Meal planning is even more critical now.

I have leftover chicken from the roast, plus the stock to use today. I fancy making some chicken noodle soup for lunch and then make chinese noodles and fried rice tonight to use up the remainder.

I picked up a turkey thigh joint which I plan to curry in the SC today for dinner tomorrow (I am working in Belfast for the day, so it will be a LONG day!)

Then it will be back to MiL's on Thursday to raid our freezer stocks! I think next week might be "use up the bags of leftover portions" week!!!! There are lots of bags to choose from!

Hopefully shouldn't need to do much more shopping now for April. Just pick up some milk at the weekend.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Morning all

Just got back from my walk to the supermarket..was going to make myself wait... but i couldn't face a day with long life milk in my tea :o i have been drinking that for years..but this last couple of months i have been snaffling the whoopsed fresh stuff and hubby reckons i have now become a "milk snob" :rotfl: ..... hopefully at the weekend the Naffi will have lots whoopsed for me :D

Anyway im soooooo glad i went as i got a super bargain :j they have some lovely packs of steaks whoopsed... so even though i don't "technically" NEED it..i couldn't resist as it was lovely dark 28 day hung stuff...and i was thinking of lovely beef tortillas for hubbies lunches (which won't use much at a time :p ) .. so i threw in 3 packs..2 with 4 big fillet steaks in and 1 with 2 huge neck steaks in (thinking pies here :D )... each pack was €5.56... so about £4.50..... only on the receipt all 3 prices show up but some how there must be some offer on as 2 of the prices are deducted again further down :confused: .... so i have got just over 2.5 kilo of steaks for €5.56 / £4.50 :j and there must be at least 24 meals there -2 lunches off each fillet =16 and then the 2 big steaks will make 2 pies serving 4 each =8 :T (possibly more depending on the veggies i add ;) )

Also got my milk - 51c so spent a total of €6.07

Out of a seperate budget i got something that would be brilliant for childrens packed lunches... its a "food jug" basically a short fat flask, but inside there are 3 seperate containers.. 1 small -holding 177 ml and 2 large -holding about 350ml each.... they were down to €2 each..£1.50..and they are really sturdy so i grabbed 1 yellow and 1 red... thinking of when summer comes so hubby can take his tortillas in a bag and his fillings in the tubs and make his own -so no soggy tortillas ;)
    would be brilliant for packing kids up with say, pasta salad, fruit salad and a little pot for dip n veggies or yoghurt ...in fact i might have to be really naughty and take a walk tomorrow and get a couple more :o

I guess i should get off and get something done.... if all goes according to plan i should be doing a bolognaise for hubby tonight, a courgette quiche and a courgette cake, oh and a loaf of bread whilst the oven is on..oh and a couple of batches of tortillas...well thats the plan..lets see how far we get :p

will post those other recipes later folks ;) have a great day everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family