PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a slow cooker (which? & why?)

Options
I am swayed by the magic of the slow cooker. Mum has said she weill get me one for my birthday next month.

Which is the best sort - I know nothing of slow cookers.

There are 2 of us, but OH eats for 2 himself lol. Plus, not averse to the idea of making lots and stretching etc.

Do I need temp controls, timers etc?

Help?
"It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D

Comments

• mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I haven't got a slow cooker Luis but this thread might help you :)
    Mink
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've got the Morphy Richards 6.5L but to be honest unless you want to be cooking for the freezer every time I would go for a smaller one. I have a family of 5 and I still find it hard to fill it up enough (it has to be at least half full) and it doesn't cook anything with a thick sauce very well, like bolognese or curry.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have just seen one on Argos for £11.99

Cookworks Round 3.5 Litre Slow Cooker.
    Was £17.99

Not heard of the brand, but such a good price!

ma

Mine is a huge old Tower..... perhaps a wee one would be better for meals for one/two.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cookworks isn't bad stuff, I haven't seen this one but you need to check that you at least have a high/low switch on it.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I have the MR 6.5 ltr one same as Moggins. I like mine, but it is quite large for just 2 of you. Doesnt have timer or anything but I like it. If you dont want to cook joints (awkward shape) then get the smaller one which is the same shape just smaller.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I've been swayed by everyone here worshipping their slow cookers and I'm considering the Tefal 3 in 1 slow cooker/rice cooker/steamer but I'm trying not to buy anything this month! I like the idea of a rice cooker - a few weeks ago I'd have wondered why anyone would want something just to cook rice but for some reason, I'm thinking it might be a good idea.
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

One question - are they safe? As in, is it safe to leave it on all day whilst I am out?

(Horrible visions of coming home to find house a smouldering ruin)
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • mah_jong
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    Cookworks isn't bad stuff, I haven't seen this one but you need to check that you at least have a high/low switch on it.

White body.

White ceramic pot.

Removable ceramic pot.

Toughened glass lid.

High, low and auto settings.

Am tempted.......its the same settings as my old one but the size much more in keeping with my needs. But the big one still good for soups and whole chickesn (yet to try this one !!!)
  • mah_jong
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Luis wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

One question - are they safe? As in, is it safe to leave it on all day whilst I am out?

(Horrible visions of coming home to find house a smouldering ruin)

Yes they are safe....but I know where you are coming from.

I felt horrid the first time I did this,
    the first time I put the oven on automatic...
    the first time I left the slow cooker on overnight,
    the first time I ..... (get the picture, I am a touch parnoid)

Do them all now with out a twinge!
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mah_jong wrote:
    White body.

White ceramic pot.

Removable ceramic pot.

Toughened glass lid.

High, low and auto settings.

Am tempted.......its the same settings as my old one but the size much more in keeping with my needs. But the big one still good for soups and whole chickesn (yet to try this one !!!)

i bought this one when it was even cheaper, its great and will take a small chicken too :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure