PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

April Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Options
Here is the April thread to continue the discussion about what Oldstylers are growing in 2006.

If anyone wants to catch up here are the first three threads in the series:

What are you growing in 2006? (thread by calleyw)

February Update: What are you Growing in 2006?

March Update: What are you growing in 2006?

Please come back to this thread to join in or to carry on where you left off.

It's a beautiful day today, so I'm off out to potter and tidy up my tiny back garden..... :T

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am going to get compost ready for my tomatoes - they will have to stay inside as we are up north scotland and too cold yet for unheated greenhouse - I will grow spring onions and a mixture of salad leaves this month
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • AlmightyCorgi
    Options
    Im growing the simple things i know i can :rotfl: - tom's, chilli's, Strawberry's, Raspberry's and im going to try carrots and maincrop potatoes this year. :eek:

Ive also got 2 new blueberry bushes but im not sure if they will do anything in the first year. Been a bit to cold to get much growing out there and im at work today, but the weather looks wonderful through my window!!! :cool:
  • bluemoon_3
    bluemoon_3 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I spent today making my 'square foot garden' beds for my veggies. The essence behind this is that once the beds are made, you don't walk on them so they won't need digging. Mine aren't raised, and they aren't the traditional 4'x4' beds. I edged them with stones, marked out the square foot plots with string and improved the soil as much as I can with the resources I have.

Still a lot of work to do out in that wilderness I call a garden, but after a few weekends of work it finally feels as though I'm getting somewhere!

I planted some spring onion and radish seeds in celebration. :D

I may even sow some perpetual spinach and early lettuce out there tomorrow under plastic bottle cloches.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wanted to plant my tatties this weekend, but OH went away and I'm to lazy (not enough strength, ok lazy) to dig the ferns out the garden AGAIN!!!!Maybe next weekend, or tomorrow! Have to plant them else I won't be allowed to buy them next year, and I've been watching them sprouting with tender loving care!!!

x
  • GreenFingers_2
    Options
    Yes today was really, really busy out there...drinking lots of tea and munching on really nice choccy biccys... :rolleyes: ... oh...yes... also planted lots of veggie seeds straight into the veggie plot... carrots, onion set, lettuce, spinach, beetroot, celery, leeks and parsnips. In pots (for the window sill at the moment) I planted some sweet peppers, chillies and cucumbers... phew... :D

Also managed to start giving the back lawn a good cleanup and put down some moss killer in the damper areas... hooray... :p
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Well done, Greenfingers!

I put up my mini-greenhouse by the back wall and potted on and put out my nasturtiums, geraniums (not grown from seed, but bought as plugs), spinach and chillies.

More room on the windowsill now for when I dig out my seed packets again, later in the week....
  • NEgirl
    NEgirl Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Options
    i havent been on this site long so hope its ok just to join in :)

Today we bought a propogator and all the bits and have planted courgettes, gerkins, carrots, brussel sprouts, beetroot and watercress. The kids thoroughly enjoyed it and we are going to build raised beds in the garden to plant them all in when they grow bigger :)

We are going for the plant and flower seeds during this week - any recommendations of what is interesting and fast growing for kids (4 boys under 9) to enjoy??
    Win £2012 in 2012 challenge 0/2012

Olympics challenge
    GOLD Holiday - won flights to RIO!
    SILVER Kitchenaid
    BRONZE iPad
  • annie-c
    Options
    Welcome NEGirl. If you look back through the earlier threads (click on the links in the first post), I think someone last month asked for tips for what to grow with her young daughter - if I find them I'll post the links for you...

Annie
  • annie-c
    Options
    annie-c wrote:
    Welcome NEGirl. If you look back through the earlier threads (click on the links in the first post), I think someone last month asked for tips for what to grow with her young daughter - if I find them I'll post the links for you...

Annie

Here are some ideas...
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    May I join in?

I have sown broadbeans, peas and have a long list off my young son of other things we have to grow this year! I have also started making a new raised bed - the rain keeps stopping play though!

NEGirl - my ds1 is just 4 and loves growing vegtables - this year we are growing peas to make a peaden - grow them up a wigwam but leave a gap so children can get inside and hide!! We have a book called Eddie's Garden which is about a young boy and his little sister starting a new vegetable bed and the things they grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport