PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

party food for 80+ help!

Options
okay it's my little sis's 21st on saturday. she has spent all her money on the hire of the pub and dj so we need to do the food cheap. we have no access to the pub kitchen so it has to be a cold buffet.

any good cheap easy food ideas please?
:love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:

Comments

• chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sis's boyfriends mum is supposed to be supplying pasta dishes
    aunt is supplying sandwiches, quiche and salad

our ideas are food on silver foil platters from asda etc

a selection of sandwiches / pitta pockets / finger rolls halved
    sausage rolls
    sausages on sticks
    pizza sliced
    quiche wedges

sandwich fillings: egg mayo, tuna+ sweetcorn mayo, coronation chicken, chicken tikka, chicken mayo.

any recipes to make cornonation chicken + chicken tikka for the pitta pockets
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What you have planned sounds great....will there be a lot of family there or just your sister's friends? If it's just the friends I'd make it as simple as possible....when you're 21 and at a party the food is the last thing on your mind! :D

I found another thread that may help: 18th party food for 180 people where/how do i start?

Have a look here for Coronation Chicken and here for Chicken Tikka.

Good luck with it!

Pink
  • chardonnay_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pink you are a star! i think it will be a mix of ages - mostly her friends but also family aswell.
  • chardonnay_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    any more ideas or presentation ideas?
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    You can't go wrong with a couple of dozen french sticks, a huge chunk of veggie cheddar (pre-cut into cubes), a few tubs of butter or spread of your choice (make sure it is veggie, some aren't these days), a couple of jars of Basics pickled onions/pickles, and a bucket of mixed salad - shredded lettuce, chopped cucumber and cherry tomatoes. With several bowls of crisps, onion rings, wotsits etc. around, that should keep them going.

I only mention the veggie thing as in a guest list of 80-odd there are bound to be at least half a dozen, so if you can assure people that everything is veggie then it takes the quandary out of it for those who are. You could perhaps have a separate platter of sliced ham, sausages on sticks, sausage rolls etc., for those who aren't veggie. Chicken drumsticks too, if your budget runs to it.

Don't forget the plastic cutlery, plates and a good stack of paper napkins.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• seashore321
    seashore321 Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever I do a party I always always do sausages on sticks or not on sticks (you know the little ones) they go down a storm. Salads are OK but usually thats what is left. French sticks and crackers with pate and cheese.
    I usually do a large bowl of prawn cocktail, coleslaw, sliced tomatoes, Scotch eggs cut into wedges. A bit of posh is poached salmon (some supermarkets are doing a whole salmon for £8.00) Will only feed about 25 but could be in the middle of the display?

The best pud I did was strawberries, for your amount I bought 10 punetts and cut each strawberry into four sprinkle sugar on top and add a small amount of water (or wine) about a glass full. Put in a big bowl and stand next to it a large jug of cream.
  • 60north
    60north Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Does your local supermart do those yummy cheese twists (somerfield does) cut them into 6 bits each ...

From experience sandwiches get left ... (make less but yummy! ones choose the favourite chicken filling for instance and forget about lots of choice - say 3 types and thats it)
    Best pud was a whole dish of finger fruit ... small chunks of melon...orange segments...strawberries all piled in a colourful mix...every bit went

Dont forget a bin somewhere (I know its a pub but they never have enough!)

See if you can gently get together a 'clean up team' to help at the end of the night (or through it )

If you are clever with planning you can avoid forks etc all together - much simpler

Have a few soft drinks for drivers in a corner somewhere if you are allowed

Have a great time... keep it simple (ish) and you'll feel better!!!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My mum swears by Iceland for mini quiches and cocktail sausages etc - worth checking out maybe if you have one nearby.
  • daisyroots_2
    Options
    New potatoes, home made mayo if you can, bought is fine if not. Do one big bowl with spring onions chopped fine, another with fresh mint. Delicious, filling, works for vegetarians, reasonably healthy and universally popular
    All Art is the transfiguration of the commonplace
    Member #6 SKI-ers Club
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills