PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is primarily a filling "salad" served cold useful to take on picnics but can be used as a cold main course on any day you like and can be re-heated as a snack. Whatever :)

Ingredients:
    Some sausages
    Some rice
    Some boiled eggs
    Some cheese
    Some frozen peas *
    Some frozen sweetcorn *
    Salt and pepper and a dressing to taste.

You'll notice that there are no quantities listed - set your own balance :)

Instructions:

Fry some sausages

Boil some rice

Boil some eggs

While these are cooling defrost the frozen peas and the sweetcorn. The * is to tell you that you can use these cooked or raw.

When everything is cool chop the sausages eggs and cheese into smallish lumps. The cheese works at about 1cm cubes, for example.

Add all the ingredients to the rice and stir in a jumbly sort of way adding the salt and pepper and dressing to taste.

Place in the fridge until ready to go.

Voila!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DOTTY CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE

6oz Marge
    6oz Caster Sugar
    9oz Self Raising Flour
    3 Eggs
    4 teaspoons Camp Coffee
    1 pkt (4oz) choc chips

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together with a food mixer. Put into a 2lb loaf tin (or 2 x 1lb tins.) Bake on Gas 3/170C for about 1 hour.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Chocolate Scones

8oz/225g Self Raising Flour
    2oz/60g Marge
    1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
    2oz/50g Chocolate Chips
    150ml Milk

Grease baking tray and pre heat oven to 220C/Gas 7/ 425F.

Rub Margarine into flour until like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips.

Mix in milk to for a soft dough, roll dough into a sausage shape (on a floured board). Cut into 9 pieces.

Place onto baking tray and brush with milk.

Bake for 10 - 12 mins.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

• catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Surprise cake
    (another choc chip recipe!) This one is a much richer recipe I used to make quite often for birthdays when the kids were younger.

5oz butter
    5oz castor sugar
    3 eggs
    8oz self raising flour
    4oz (1 pkt) chocolate chips
    1 tablespoon milk
    icing
    4oz butter
    1/2 tsp vanilla essence
    3 tablespoons evaporated milk
    4oz (1 pkt) chocolate chips
    1lb sieved icing sugar

Cream the butter and sugar until soft and light.

Gradually add the beaten egg, stir in a little sieved flour if the mix shows signs of curdling.

Fold in the sieved flour and the chocolate chips, lightly dusted with flour, also tablespoon milk.

Put into a greased and floured 7" cake tin and bake for 1 + 1/4 hours at Gas 3/325F/160-170C until cake is firm to touch.

Allow to cool while making the icing:

Put all the icing ingredients except the icing sugar into a basin or the top of a double saucepan over very hot water. Heat until the chocolate is melted. Allow to cool and then beat in the icing sugar.

Spread over the top and sides of the cake, then swirl with a small flat bladed knife.

This cake keeps well for several days and you only need a small slice at a time.
    This recipe is from my very old and well used Marguerite Patten recipe card set.

• Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aloo Saag

Peel potatoes, cut into chunks & par boil for 10 mins

Fry an onion & add generous amount of curry powder (depending on your taste). Use a generic curry powder or you can make up your own from chilli powder, cumin, corinader seed, garam masala or whatever is lurking in the cupboard.
    Add the potatoes & tin of chopped tomatoes. Fill the tomato tin with water, swish about the get the bits out of the bottom & tip that in too. Cook on a reasonable heat until the potato is fully cooked & the sauce has reduced & thickened. Add a generous amount of washed spinach & stir in til wilted.
  • cristin
    cristin Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Chickpea Pate
    Ingredients
    250g can of chickpeas (or 125g soaked for 8 hours and then cooked for an hour)
    1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon of wholewheat plain flour
    1 serving of yeast (I use stuff that comes in a 7g sachet)
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 medium potato (grated)
    4 spring onions (finely chopped)
    1 stick celery (grated)
    1 medium carrot (grated)
    1 1/2 cups warm water
    1 teaspoon thyme (dried)
    1 teaspoon basil (dried)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
    Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the mix into a baking tray (preferably 1"/2cm deep and approximately 9"X9" or 23cmX23cm). Use a fork to level it out in the tray. Bake at 180C/350F for approx 1 hour until it has risen and the top is a crisp golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
    I cut mine into four pieces, put two in the freezer, one in the fridge and served the other piece right away. It goes well with crackers or as a sandwich filling.
  • catznine
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Peanut Butter Cookies
    makes about 24

2oz peanut butter
    grated rind of 1/2 orange
    2oz caster sugar
    1 + 1/2 oz soft brown sugar
    2oz butter
    1 standard to medium egg
    1 + 1/2 oz raisins
    4oz self raising flour

Cream together the peanut butter, orange rind, sugars and butter until light and fluffy.

Beat in the egg, add the raisins and stir in the flour to make a fairly firm dough.

Roll the dough into small balls about the size of a walnut and place well apart on an ungreased baking tray. Then dip a fork into a little flour and use it to press criss cross lines on each cookie (flattening them slightly).

Bake for 25 minutes at Gas 4/350F/180C until golden brown.

• Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know there have been a variety of beef stew recipes already posted but I wanted to share with you all the one I made today as, even though I say it myself, it was cooked to perfection and absolutely deeeeeliscious!!! chef2cx.gif

Ingredients

1 kg cubed braising/stewing steak
    approx 1 cup of plain flour
    salt 'n' pepper
    4 tbsp olive oil
    knob butter
    1 onion, roughly chopped
    1 leek, sliced
    3-4 carrots, cubed
    3-4 parsnips, cubed
    small butternut squash, de-seeded and cubed
    dble handful baby new potatoes, left whole or halved depending on size
    1/2 bottle red wine
    3/4-1pt beef stock
    2 tsp dried herbs (rosemary, thyme & sage are good)
    3-4 bay leaves
    slug of worcestershire sauce
    2 tbsp tomato puree

Method

Heat 2 tbsp oil and butter in large pan and gently fry onions and leeks for 5 mins, adding the rest of the vegetables and frying for further 5 minutes before placing in crockpot of slow cooker.

Season flour well and thoroughly coat each piece of meat. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil and brown meat over high heat. Pour the wine over the beef and cook further 2-3 minutes to de-glaze pan, before placing in stockpot with veggies.

Add the rest of the ingredients and sufficient stock to just cover meat & veggies, but not drown them! Remember liquid doesn't evaporate in a slow cooker. Cook on low according to you cooker's instructions (5-6 hours in MR 6.5L). The flour from the meat should nicely thicken the gravy by the time it's finished cooking so no need to add anything further!

The above quantities make enough stew to feed approx 8 people, and leftovers freeze perfectly well, so ideal for batch cooking!

Obviously ingredients can be changed and adapted to suit and I've tried several variations before hitting on what I think could be the perfect recipe ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Banana surprise pudding!!!

2 slices of bread
    5 or 6 dessertspoons of jam, dulce de leche or chocolate spread
    one large banana, sliced
    one cup of custard
    crumble the bread into a dish
    put the sliced banana on top
    put the jam, dulce de leche or choc spread on top of that
    then add the custard
    bake in a medium oven for half an hour
    only share it if you REALLY REALLY must!
    dont know where it came from, i made it up today:)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • MoneyMonkey
    MoneyMonkey Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chilli Con Carne (serves 4-6 hungry people!)

This is a recipe that has evolved over the years. It's pretty good now :D

450g good minced beef (none of that el cheapo stuff!!)
    1 large onion
    1 pack button mushrooms
    3 large peppers
    1 little pack of mini corn on the cobs [optional]
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes (economy is ok)
    1 tin of kidney beans (economy is ok)
    1 tin of baked beans (economy is ok) [optional]

Sounds a little wimpy for a chilli… I continue

¾ tsp cumin
    ½ tsp hot chilli powder
    ½ tsp paprika
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    ¼ tsp white pepper (ready ground stuff is fine)
    ½ tsp lazy garlic
    ¾ tsp lazy chillies …crikey!!
    ½ tsp sugar
    And ½ tsp rock salt (less if already ground)

These measurements create a pretty hot chilli, so alter as required.

1. Chop onions, peppers and corns.
    2. Get a really large pan. No, not that one, the really big one. This recipe makes a serious amount of food.
    3. Brown the mince in a little oil the pan, and then drain in a colander. Contrary to popular belief, I don’t believe that there is much good in the juice. It’s water and fat (and lets face it, we can all do with cutting out the fat!)
    4. Fry the onions in a little oil, until translucent.
    5. Add the peppers, mushrooms (whole) and mini corns, and fry for another minute.
    6. Return the beef and mix.
    7. Drain and wash the kidney beans, then add to the pot.
    8. Add all other ingredients and stir – what a lazy recipe!
    9. Place on a very low heat for about 40 minutes with the lid on.

During cooking, you may need to add a little water if the mixture is a little thick, or reduce with the lid off to thicken up. It all depends upon the tinned tomatoes!

Serve on a bed of plain rice with some greek yoghurt. Also very good along side a margarita or two (recipe to follow)!
    Organisation and planning are for those who can't handle stress and caffine :rolleyes:
    A customer with a biscuit in his mouth, is a customer who can't complain :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family