getting a refund out of easyjet

Options

Comments

• alpinehermit
    Options
    I too have been lied to - at Gatwick airport, both by the person on the info desk and by the easyJet "representative". When my flight was cancelled late on 14 July, I was told that I could rebook from Bristol and so I left the airport. Then it turned out that this was not possible. I am just starting my battle with easyJet by writing to them (at some level of their horrible website they say they don't deal with customers by letter, but at a deeper level they say one can, and their Luton address is provided). The online refund form is certainly virtual. I've managed to access it once, but now it's vanished. I'd copied the URL but even that doesn't work.
    EasyJet says they give you 250 or 400 euros compensation, depending on the length of the journey, in the case of a cancelled flight. Is this supposed to cover the cost of things like car hire or is it supposed to be a separate payment? Has anyone succeeded in obtaining these euros?
  • karen3w
    Options
    Sorry to jump into this thread. I hope someone can help me.

I booked a flight with Easyjet from UK to Germany. They wrote to me several times changing the return flight times which cut short the last day of my visit (I was only going for four days). I decided not to fly and looked at my account on their website, where it said I was entitled to a full refund. I emailed them, but no reply. I emailed them about six times in all and tried to ring them several times but couldn't get through. This all over the period of a month. In the meantime I didn't take the flight as knew I would get a refund.

Now they have finally replied (after I contacted them through their press office and they forwarded it to customer services!) saying they do not give refunds!

What can I do to get this refund? I have written many times arguing with them that it states black on white on their website that I can have a refund but they keep referring me to their terms and conditions that state they give no refunds.

Do I have a chance?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karen3w wrote: »
    it states black on white on their website that I can have a refund

Do you have a link?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • karen3w
    karen3w Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, but surprise surprise, they have changed what it says!

https://www.easyjet.com/EN/secure/MyEasyJet.mvc/ViewBooking?bookingReference=EGTB22C

This is what it originally said:

"Hamburg trip - xxx

01 December 2010 - 05 December 2010

Disrupted booking

One or more flights on this booking has been disrupted, entitling you to a free transfer to another flight, or a full refund of the cost of your flight and any directly related unflown sector within the same booking (if applicable).
    If you intend to only change your flights, please choose ‘Amend booking’.
    NB If your flight has to be cancelled, we will tell you about this separately with an email to your registered email address detailing the actual flights affected and your options. From 48 hours before your scheduled departure, please keep checking the status of your flight via the Latest Travel Information button on the easyJet.com homepage."

I copies and pasted this into an Open Office document. (Have of course amended order ref.).

It still said this when I viewed my account on the Easyjet site until they finally contacted me, then they changed the wording! Devious.

As my husband is out of work from 24th December and there are very few jobs around, getting a refund would make all the difference to me and my family. Surely they can't write something like that on their website and then say they won't give a refund?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did it say anywhere that you had to contact them before your first flight in this booking?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • karen3w
    karen3w Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Did it say anywhere that you had to contact them before your first flight in this booking?

No, not at all. It also gave no details about how to obtain a refund.
  • cybersquatter
    Options
    Hope someone might have some advice on a problem my girlfriend is having getting her money back from easyJet after our flights were cancelled in all the bad weather before Christmas. As usual it is falling to me to get it sorted out.

It should be a straightforward refund - the flight was cancelled due to bad weather. However the complicating factor is the fact that she booked using a debit card and then closed the bank account (to move to another bank) before the flight was cancelled.

So easyJet have tried to refund the money to the now non-existent account and failed.

What she would like is for them to simply issue a cheque for the refund. First they said they would need a letter from the bank (NatWest) saying the account had been closed. Needless to say this was beyond the wit of NatWest and they instead sent a final statement and an incomprehensible letter. However the statement did show the line "ACCT TRANSFER TO CO-OP" as the final line, so it should be good enough. Anyway having sent a scan of this she then received the following message this morning:
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting us.

I am sorry for the inconvenience but this is not suffice I will need a letter not a statement stating that you received no money from easyjet .My apologies again I realise this must be frustrating .

I do hope I have been able to answer your question fully. To update your query please reply to this e-mail. We will be happy to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXX
    Customer Service Representative

[/FONT]
    This is a) not what was originally asked for and b) going to be impossible to obtain - of course NatWest aren't going to write a letter saying "We can confirm you did not receive a refund from Easyjet".

Basically it seems like this refund doesn't fit inside the standard procedures so the customer service agents are finding excuses to fob it off.

It is looking to me like a claim through the MoneyClaim service is going to be the only way to get the money back here.

Unless anyone has any advice?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • aitch-aitch
    Options
    Easyjet should be able to get their own bank to track the money.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Easyjet should be able to get their own bank to track the money.

Yes, but can they be a***d? That would involve devoting time and attention to customer service.
  • penguin999
    Options
    So the problem in cybersquatter's post continues (I'm the girlfriend). I obtained a letter from Natwest which confirmed that there had been no activity on the account since it was closed. I sent a copy of this letter along with a copy of a statement which confirmed the card I paid for the cancelled flights with relates to the account which was closed. Easyjet responded saying that they could process the refund and someone would be in touch with me to collect my new bank details. At first they asked for my phone number to contact me and today I received an email from another Easyjet customer service representative which says

It seems to be that the documents show all our requirements but by separated, so we need a letter from the bank that states (all together) card number in the booking, bank account number connected to card, name of the card holder, dates, amount(s) not received and bank contact details.

Letter also needs to be stamped and signed from bank or it will not be accepted. (All very important).

Once we have received the letter, we will call you instantly

I've already supplied all this information (and it's all on Natwest headed notepaper so it's official) and therefore do not understand why they need it in one single letter. I've queried the matter and they have just replied saying this is what is needed.

Can anyone advise as to what I should do? It was difficult enough getting the last letters out of Natwest. It's looking increasingly likely that the only way to get a refund is through MCOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure