Potterton Suprima 50 Lock Out problem

Options

Comments

• the_gasman_2
    Options
    I visit these boilers everyday. Firstly a mate of mine worked for potterton and told me the original suprima pcb with flush grey reset button were faulty and the research and development team set to redsign some of the workings on the board.

Board 2 was released and had a protruding black reset button. This in my opinion hasn't made them any better and now BOARD 3 is on the shelf. This comes as the complete circuit board wiring harnessand is a sealed unit>(probably so you cant see the resistors burning)and to top it off you have to rewrite the data badge. The board has a self diagnostic indicator built into it,but i dont know whether it will tell you if its the pcb thats broken???

I have found that the boilers that run with the boiler thermostat on maximum prolong the pcb life.why, i dont know...
    Other than the pcb fault i have only had 1 failed gas valve and 1 seized fan assembly.
    Rule of thumb. IF YOU HAVE TO PRESS THE RESET BUTTON AND IT BECOMES MORE FREQUENT THEN ITS YOUR PCB THATS DYING!!! :eek:
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's incredible that a boiler with such a known PCB fault that they don't give the part to the customer for free.

Any other product would have a product recall. OK, that's impratical for a boiler, but they should at least give out free PCB's for what is a clear design fault.
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    gasman,

The reset button is black and protrudes - so board 2.

On the MJT Controls website Board 3 is £155 + VAT.

Does this board 3 have a reset button as well - just in case? :)

It does seem to need resetting more frequently - usually at 5am, so a cold rush downstairs to get some heat before the alarm bell goes at 6:45! And when I arrive home after work it is off again!

Would it be worth getting the two sensors, at the same time as the PCB, replaced as they are only £5 and £7?

Any idea how much labour would be changed for these three items? I think I shall be phoning around after the holiday.

Many thanks,
    John
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    Options
    can i just say that we recently called out potterton at a cost of £250 to mend the boiler with similar prob and yes he replaced the pcb board. however we were told that if we took out the years insurance for the boiler (about £150) they would do it for free...one snag.....just dont tell them that the boiler is on the blink to start with.......this advice came from the engineer who attended our house.

potterton were excellent i must add they came out within a couple of days and on time!!!
    Give blood - its free
  • the_gasman_2
    Options
    Johnhowell wrote:
    gasman,

The reset button is black and protrudes - so board 2.

On the MJT Controls website Board 3 is £155 + VAT.

Does this board 3 have a reset button as well - just in case? :)

It does seem to need resetting more frequently - usually at 5am, so a cold rush downstairs to get some heat before the alarm bell goes at 6:45! And when I arrive home after work it is off again!

Would it be worth getting the two sensors, at the same time as the PCB, replaced as they are only £5 and £7?

Any idea how much labour would be changed for these three items? I think I shall be phoning around after the holiday.

Many thanks,
    John

Hi john.
    The latest pcb for the suprima comes complete with a wiring harness. Yes it does have a slightly smaller black reset button than board 2 and i think its square. Your current pcb should have 2 lights (red and green).
    The new board has just one, but it has a led which flashes several colours dependant on what mode the boiler is at...
    The price seems reasonable at £155. (Potterton do know how to charge)
    I have never had to change the sensors at the same time. It has always only been the pcb. The thermistors and overheat stats are pretty reliable, but the choice is yours.

The first pcb (board 3) that i fitted took 1 1/2 hrs to fit. I now fit them in around 40 mins, but i fit at least 3 per week this time of year. I would suggest an hours labour be reasonable.
    good luck

the gasman
  • keithwjones
    Options
    I've got a Suprima 80 - with grey reset button - exactly the same problem.

Boiler about 5 years old. Looks like I've found the answer.

Keith
  • RedOnRed
    RedOnRed Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    fsdss wrote:
    however we were told that if we took out the years insurance for the boiler (about £150) they would do it for free.

Why not pay the same sort of amount to British Gas and have your whole system and boiler covered?
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Called a CORGI engineer yesterday and he was aware of the PCB problem and he came around last night and "just so happened" to have a replacement with him!

Fitted for £300 all in.

Seems to be working OK - now I can get some sleep without worrying whether the boiler Locks Out :)

Many thanks everyone,

John
  • Jolie_Madame
    Options
    This reply might be too late to help you , but it might well help others. Having been quoted £300 to sort the lockout problems on our Potterton Suprima, we found 'compumerv' on eBay and bought a service exchange PCB ;helpful advice and cost £35 including the post and packing. Fitted in 5 minutes and has cured the boiler.
    Hope this helps.:)
  • battle1066
    Options
    I agree with Jolie. I've a Suprima 30 and the lock outs increased in frequency and then bang - a reset would only last minutes or seconds! Thankfully 'compumerv' delivered a board next day, very easy to fit - just undo a few screws remove the connectors and replace the board. And it worked and still is working after a week. I was a bit suprized to see a small scorch mark on the board but it worked and for £35 I am not complaining. Plus the board I removed from the boiler was slightly marked with poor soldering. I was shocked at how appalling the quality was - I spent a couple of years working on making up such boards in a design lab. I used to think Potteron was a quality name, not any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure