Real-life MMD: Should I share utility switching cashback?

Comments

• tommay
    tommay Posts: 85 Forumite
    I think it would be quite cheeky to keep it if, had you not done it, someone else would've. If you can be sure nobody else would've bothered then you could keep it.
    I agree with green1970 though; buy something for everybody with the money. Maybe rent a couple of films and get a takeaway for a good night in.
  • If you've found a deal that makes it cheaper for you all, with a £30 reward on top, I'd say keep the £30. Everyone is benefiting from your efforts, so they can't complain.
  • trishx
    trishx Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd say it depends on your housemates and what your relationship with them regarding money is like.

In my group of friends, I'm always the organiser and the one who gets the deals, pays out and then collects the money. When I do this for my friends, I always count any cashback as "kitty" money and use it as credit for the next expense. I quite like to tell them "I got us a 10% discount here and £6 off here" etc. These are the sort of people who always buy a round and are considerate and grateful for the effort I put in.

Earlier this year, I organised a hen party for a good friend of mine, where most of the other girls constantly grumbled about the cost (although it was ridiculously good value and well under the agreed amount). What really wound me up is they refused to contribute to paying the brides expenses! I also ended up spending a lot of my own money for extras (party bags etc). For these sort of people - keep the cashback! I did and it wasn't insignificant either :)

So are they generally fair and decent people - whom you have a decent tit for tat relationship with? Or are they misers who are always stealing your milk and never replacing it? I think you'd know if you would begrudge sharing it with them or not.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would say keep it. I'm in charge of bills in my house, little perks and knowledge of cashback sites means its like payment for keeping on top of the bills. My housemates wouldn't know where to start trying to save money or understanding bills. I did the cashback for sky tv. Didn't tell housemates though but I see it as I'm putting my credit score on the line and I get reward by being smart and also going through cashback site
  • Keep it.

Many people don't bother with cashback sites anyway as they don't understand them, I've given up trying to convert people!

Fact of the matter is, you've saved them money, they probably wouldn't have bothered with cashback if they'd arranged it and you put in a lot more time than them.

Jar of coffee example is completely irrelevant here - a better comparison would be - Housemate A goes into Tesco and buys a jar of coffee for the house, and also earns 1000 reward points in the process, should they share what they bought with the reward points?
  • juggsy
    juggsy Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I agree with trishx in that it depends on what your housemates are like to live with to ultimately help make the decision. If your house was anything like mine, I was always the one that sorted the bills, dealt with the landlord, sorted issues etc. whilst everyone else just messed the house up. So if it were me in that situation I'd definitely keep it as my reward for doing more than my fair share.

If however you live in a more amicable household where everyone mucks in, does their fair share and has their own responsibilities then why not buy a couple of rounds at the pub with it?

At the end of the day it is only £30 so whether you split or keep it is not going to drastically change anyone's lives, so don't worry about it too much :)
  • I'm pretty shocked at how many people think its ok to keep it. Fair enough if all the housemates had agreed beforehand that anyone who finds a deal like this gets to reap the rewards, but they haven't so I don't think you should. Heck, why not go the whole hog and pocket the £150 annual savings, after all, that was your "hard work" too, right?
  • SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Think through how they would be likely to react if they found out you had kept the £30.

If it would result in upset / damaged friendships in any way, then ask yourself if the £30 is worth it.

There's a lot to be said for harmonious relationships with those that we live with.
  • qetu1357
    qetu1357 Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I say keep it.

You did the hard work in finding the best deal and your flatmates are sharing in the benefit of the reduced bill.
  • Keep it.

Its all in your name not theirs so you are the one constantly arranging the payment of the bills and such in the first place everytime - this is YOUR time.

YOU were the one spending YOUR TIME (again not their time) researching and everything to save the whole house money.

Did THEY mentioned or point out to you that it was possible to save money on the bills? Unlikely

Don't see why some of the replies are shocked at the Keep it replies - its £30 not a life changing amount! Minimum wage from sorting out the bills would be more than that!

If you really feel guilty spend it on some communal supplies but remember you were the one putting in the effort in the first place not them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure