Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!

Options

Comments

• bluey9
    bluey9 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Or another option is to take it to ur local shop..

You better have a pretty thick skin if you're gonna do that. Those machines are a godsend to people who get homicidal urges when stuck behind some modern day Ebeneezer Scrooge counting out millions of pennies and holding up the whole shop/ bank.
  • dougs
    dougs Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think this is a Grabbit, unless HSBC are about to be sold out :rotfl:
  • Raspberry_Swirl
    Options
    I'm quite happy to pay the % that coinstar charge as my bank won't accept my change and the queue in my local post office is always out the door it's so long. so the time it would take me to bag the change correctly, get to my post office and queue is nothing compared to the coinstar charge as it's at my local supermarket so no special journey made.
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Options
    I must agree with Raspberry Swirl, the coinstar are a bonus. Although I have an HSBC account they don't have a change machine inside and they will only take 5 bags of coins max at a time even if I am paying it in to my account.. Rather annoying really.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Rose_Crow
    Options
    I've used the Coinstar machine a few times, not got any complaints about their commission, although that's just on small amounts (£20 and under). However I've started to collect £2 coins, and was wondering what to with the when I filled the coffee jar. Not sure of the procedure to be honest, but do I just bag them up and take them to my bank (Lloyds TSB)?
    Clutter Free Life 2019
    31 of 172 items decluttered :D
  • far
    far Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mateus wrote: »
    YES YOU NEED AN ACCOUNT - open one via Quidco etc for £10 too!!

Not 100% sure if it needs to be current account - probably not ?

Correct - any account with HSBC will do. Just make sure you don't do what I do and put the coins under the plastic tray rather than on it! :o
  • MarkLS12
    Options
    Does anyone know how I can find out which HSBC branches have these machines? Would they be with the "print a statement" type machines or behind the counter?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    since you punch in the details i would say not behind the counter
  • Grade_A_Reject
    Options
    Anyone know if these work with First Direct accounts as they're part of the HSBC group?
    "A nation of plenty so concerned with gain" - Isley Brothers - Harvest for the World
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can find out which HSBC branches have these machines? Would they be with the "print a statement" type machines or behind the counter?

HSBC announced some time ago that they were spending £400million upgrading their UK branches.

I think its only the upgraded ones which have these machines - my local one doesn't.

I believe these branches have a different/newer layout and a lot more self-service machines..

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family