Beware TCB/Quidco - they can direct to more expensive versions of the same website!!

Options
124»

Comments

• terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    It's possible to check the sites before using the cashback site, to compare prices. Normally I do my shopping first without going through their links, then I change browser, clear the cache/cookies etc and go on the cashback site.
    I've never seen a difference in price, but I've only used retailers, not insurance etc.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,278 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Expect a damage limitation visit soon from Quidco Company Representative. :D
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sacked QUIDNO a few years back !
  • NeverInDebt
    NeverInDebt Posts: 4,634 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2012 at 11:35PM
    Options
    Yes I just tried this once in firefox from this link not via Quidco

£198

nonquidco.jpg

Went through quidco on chrome and was £265 less cashback

quidco.jpg
    quidco.jpg
  • NeverInDebt
    Options
    Topcashback is also £265 less cashback
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    gorgirl wrote: »
    Everyone may already know this but I've just discovered that you get different prices for the exact same offers on redletterdays.co.uk, depending on where you click through from.

If you type in the url or click through from google, there are a number of offers on the spa breaks page. For example the one night De Vere break has been reduced from £200 to £160.

However if you then decide to try and buy one of them by logging onto Topcashback or Quidco, when you go through them, the same page shows up without the reduced prices so the same break is back at £200.

Here are the screenshots:

Without discounts: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/oxt4c

With discounts: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/thxk4

So if you go to the cashback site first you might unwittingly think you've saved money by getting 10% or 13% cashback, when the price is already 20% more expensive than on the normal website.

I googled it and came up with this page where they explain whole thing in detail:

http://www.affiliates4u.com/forums/affiliate-marketing-lounge/146065-innovative-technology-red-letter-days-levels-playing-field.html

Did everyone else know about this already, or is it just me? It seems sneaky and underhand, especially at the moment when everyone is trying to save money, to penalise those who are using cashback sites and gives them a really bad name.

What does everyone else think and have you seen this on other websites?

It's similar with train/plane/coach tickets if you search for a ticket and then return to the website later they will bump up the prices!
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's similar with train/plane/coach tickets if you search for a ticket and then return to the website later they will bump up the prices!
    Bear in mind that ticket prices are affected by the availability, so once tickets at a certain price have been sold, only higher-priced tickets will be available. So, on occasions, it is inevitable that, when you return to a website, prices could be higher than when you previously looked.
    It is not just down to cookies on your computer.
  • iAMaLONDONER
    iAMaLONDONER Posts: 1,669 Forumite
    Options
    Backbiter wrote: »
    Bear in mind that ticket prices are affected by the availability, so once tickets at a certain price have been sold, only higher-priced tickets will be available. So, on occasions, it is inevitable that, when you return to a website, prices could be higher than when you previously looked.
    It is not just down to cookies on your computer.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2010/aug/07/computer-cookies-booking-online

I know but I've noticed it when I've left a gap of 5 mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure