Beware TCB/Quidco - they can direct to more expensive versions of the same website!!

Options
gorgirl
gorgirl Posts: 64 Forumite
edited 9 June 2012 at 3:35PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Everyone may already know this but I've just discovered that you get different prices for the exact same offers on redletterdays.co.uk, depending on where you click through from.

If you type in the url or click through from google, there are a number of offers on the spa breaks page. For example the one night De Vere break has been reduced from £200 to £160.

However if you then decide to try and buy one of them by logging onto Topcashback or Quidco, when you go through them, the same page shows up without the reduced prices so the same break is back at £200.

Here are the screenshots:

Without discounts: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/oxt4c

With discounts: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/thxk4

So if you go to the cashback site first you might unwittingly think you've saved money by getting 10% or 13% cashback, when the price is already 20% more expensive than on the normal website.

I googled it and came up with this page where they explain whole thing in detail:

http://www.affiliates4u.com/forums/affiliate-marketing-lounge/146065-innovative-technology-red-letter-days-levels-playing-field.html

Did everyone else know about this already, or is it just me? It seems sneaky and underhand, especially at the moment when everyone is trying to save money, to penalise those who are using cashback sites and gives them a really bad name.

What does everyone else think and have you seen this on other websites?

Comments

• jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have to say, I've not seen this happen myself. I tend to look for what I want via google, then when I've found it I go to TCB and try to see if the site is on there, if not another site which when using cashback does it work out significantly less (note: never rely on cashback as they can deny you've ever seen it some times).

I've never seen two different website offers, I don't know if its maybe selected sites or different offers on different days- I know for example with Amazon, offers can change even several times an hour depending on how many people purchase them.

Thanks for the info though, I hope its not something that many sites are doing.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This is nothing new, I bought my mobile from dialaphone a year ago. Via TCB to dialaphone it came with 6 months free cashback. However, going via CompareMobileDeals it came up with 8 months free. I just went via the compare mobile deals link to see the deal, then in a separate window opened the TCB link. I got the better deal, with TCB. I'm sure in time they will lock down these holes, but for now you have to be careful and really shop around.
  • BumbleBUK
    BumbleBUK Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I noticed something similar with GoDaddy.com when I was buying the mrs a domain name for her cooking blog (which I won't name coz the post will get deleted)... Depending how you arrived at the site determined the price you paid. I saw this with my buddy, I told him about an offer and he couldn't get it until I showed him how I had found it... a bit sneaky, but I think it hurts the business at the end of the day because if I found out someone had paid less than me for the same thing from the same site by using a different entry point I would be right brassed off and I wouldn't go back again. Hate being conned...
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    Unfortunately, virtually the entire internet works on click-thru commissions and affiliate marketing, so you will see different prices via some routes.

Cookies also enable this on many travel websites. The more times you return, the higher the price...

How do you think Martin has made this website be worth £87 million???
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    withabix wrote: »

Cookies also enable this on many travel websites. The more times you return, the higher the price...

If that's the case, it's well worth setting the browser to accept cookies on a session-only basis.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've no experience of this personally, but have read that it's not uncommon with insurance companies, where you get offered a higher quote if you go via a cashback site.
    Stompa
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen this before, vistaprint do that. I found so many different prices, more expensive if I logged in or went directly to the website via google, cheaper if I went through a special offer link (even when following the same path through menus).
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would setting accepting cookies on session only affect cashback?

I use ccleaner before and after using a cashback site though anyway, wouldnt that be the same?

I think I remember having a higher price through a cashback site for boiler and heating insurance, this wasnt using a price comparison, just on the insurance site itself and it was less direct to the site rather than via a cashback site. I didnt buy it in the end as I was annoyed at the tactic
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • melbell
    melbell Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    Well they have to pay the cashback site. Its a bit wrong to get discount and cashback. Its like you want the company to go bankrupt.
  • abacab
    abacab Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    AA did this with a home insurance quote.£38 cashback,but £58 more going via cashback link.I got round it by putting in my cheaper saved quote by navigating to the AA homepage and then back again.
    Cashback tracked ok,if it pays out a bonus.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure