Options

Comments

• koolkielfa
    Options
    InTheDrops wrote: »
    Had a quick call with the FOS today who advised:

GE Money will not be liable
    Broker was not regulated
    Contact Pinnacle to progress as they were/are regulated so should bear some liability for the policy

If there is no acceptance of liability get back in touch with the FOS

I haven't seen any positive outcomes from claims against Pinnacle as the underwriters on the forum though, does anyone know of any?

Thanks

Hi -first time ever been on here so bear with me! Came on here to look for same problem and saw this thread and thought I must share with you that we are having success with Pinnacle- extract from their letter last month:
    "We have now had an opportunity to consider your complaint and we have decided to uphold the complaint in your favour. ...now been passed to our customer redress team in order to calculate the exact amount of compensation you are due...within 4 weeks..."

I did the complaint myself, no middle men: loan from First National arranged by Dial4aLoan, gone but taken over by Wellcome Finance so started complaint here. They said no and that I shouldn't take it to the FOS cos they wouldn't be able to do anything :rotfl:!! Rang FOS, they looked into it WHILE I was on the phone, told me Pinnacle as the underwriter must be next step and started the complaint for me, then sent all the stuff to Pinnacle when they requested it and got the above letter last month. Having read on here how hard it is and how long it is taking I am shocked in a good way! I don't know if it helped because I had ALL the original paperwork for everything.

So anyway, there is hope and keep going - keep us updated on here, and I will too when I get an offer.
    All the best
  • southeasternwoman
    southeasternwoman Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 4 July 2012 at 2:13PM
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread..

I have had problems with a PPI claim regarding a mortgage that I had with First National back in 2003 for two years. I too was mis-sold PPI. The problem in my case is that I was told that if I opted for PPI, my mortgage application would stand more chance of being successful, so I did. Unfortunately (as expected) I do not have this in writing. I was a very naive first time buyer so was not familiar with the home buying process. The person I who I was dealing with was guiding me through it over the phone. (I live in the South East and he was based elsewhere).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I too have been advised by GE Money that my claim has nothing to do with them, but only after two months of being referred to another broker - by them - who had absolutely nothing to do with it.

GE Money say that my claim sits outside of the jurisdiction of the FOS. Their reasoning is that because the mortgage I had with FN was over 6 years ago, my complaint is "...banned under the Limitations Act 1980. I wrote back advising I was not in agreement to them closing the complaint and that I wanted a response that reflected they had actually bothered to look into my complaint in the first place.

What I find odd is that I have received a letter from them today offering me £100. They have asked me to sign and return the agreement form which will close my complaint. I'm not accepting their offer or returning the form - I'd rather go without. This is the second time I have been they have closed my complaint - only to re-open it again when I tell them that as far as I am concerned it is still open. The correspondence I have received from them is four pages of A4 waffle. The Acceptance letter makes 5..

I have also noticed they have given my complaint a new reference number for some reason. They only started to reply to my letters after I started sending letters to them via first class recorded mail.

However, another lender who originally told me they also resided outside of the FOS jurisdiction, upheld my complaint after I wrote back to them and are in the process of issuing payment. They have agreed to return what I paid, which was just shy of £9000 plus interest. Another lender has also agreed to uphold my complaint and will be returning what I paid, plus interest.

Pinnacle insurance wrote to me after being contacted by the FOS requesting information to initiate their investigation into my PPI complaint regarding the mortgage with First National. I am still waiting to hear from them.

With all of these lenders, I have completed the same paperwork, and provided the same answers i.e. the truth. Thankfully when I was eventually introduced to my financial advisor back in 2005 (re-mortgaged away from First National) he saw that I had been paying PPI and said he always advises against it. I've not had it since.

Sorry for the mini novella, but I just needed to get this off my chest :(.
  • lynda1685
    lynda1685 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 6 July 2012 at 6:14PM
    Options
    Hi, I have't been on site since 2007, so feeling just a bit lost

I hope that some of you may be able to help with a letter received from the FOS but first I will give you some backgound details.

First National Loan taken out Nov 1999 - £20 000 over 10yrs
    Cardiff Pinnacle 5 yrs PPI added up front to the loan - £4834
    (OPTIONS BOX WAS PRE "X" typed in INDICATING PPI WAS CONDITIONAL OF THE LOAN ALSO TOOK AWAY RIGHTS OF OPTIONAL)
    I had Colan Cancer in Nov 1998 (pre exsisting condition)
    We had £110 000 Life Insurance in place at the time of the loan
    £40,000 Standard Insurance for redundancy etc plus both had BUPA package which paid for my Cancer operation
    Loan was repaid back in March 2002.
    The rest of the outstanding PPI was NOT reimbursed to us, it should have been about £2400
    Wrote to GE did,nt want to know, anyway I took them to Court in 2011, Judge ruled the case "status barred" PPI never mentioned
    Did loads of research and 6 weeks ago sent documentation to FOS

Letter arrive yesterday from FOS saying:
    "It would appear that your complaint against Direct Auto Insurance Services (trading name Yes Car Credit) sold PPI before 14th January 2005 and was not a member of the GISC of the MCCB we cannot consider a complaint against it.
    It is possible however, that you may be entiteled to pursue a complaint against the underwriters (insurer) which provided your policy cover. I have been unable to identify underwriters at this stage but if you could send me further documentation, I may be able to do set your complaint up against this firm."

I AM TOTALLY BAFFELED TO THE RESPONSE AS NEVER HEARD OF DIRECT AUTO FINANCE INSURANCE OR YES CAR

My complain to the FOS clearly stated it was against Cardiff Pinnacle

I THINK THE FOS HAVE SENT THE WRONG REPLY TO MY LETTER
    I BELEIVE IT MUST HAVE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE'S QUERY

I really appreciate you thoughts on the FOS reply as I am completey at a loss.

Thanks
  • InTheDrops
    Options
    Thought it worth a quick update as the OP on this thread; I received a letter from Cardiff Pinnacle today... Upholding the complaint & offering an interim settlement while they are finalizing details with the lender!

The value looks sensible & close to what I calculated but, as I'm not in a rush I'm going to politely decline & wait for them to calculate a full & final settlement. Does anyone think this would be a bad idea & why?

Thanks for all the help & useful posts on here & good luck to all those in the same position I was a month ago.

I'm going to use the money to buy an engagement ring that I've been saving for so you've all helped make someone very happy :)
  • koolkielfa
    Options
    InTheDrops wrote: »
    Thought it worth a quick update as the OP on this thread; I received a letter from Cardiff Pinnacle today... Upholding the complaint & offering an interim settlement while they are finalizing details with the lender!

The value looks sensible & close to what I calculated but, as I'm not in a rush I'm going to politely decline & wait for them to calculate a full & final settlement. Does anyone think this would be a bad idea & why?

Thanks for all the help & useful posts on here & good luck to all those in the same position I was a month ago.

I'm going to use the money to buy an engagement ring that I've been saving for so you've all helped make someone very happy :)

Hi Everyone
    further to my post in July, we have now received our first interim payment of over £4100 :j and this will be added to once they have received the final figures from the lender for extra interest charges etc. It was really easy and straightforward and the letter we had to sign clearly stated that this WAS NOT full and final settlement and accepting the interim payment did not mean the end. (IN THE DROPS - I DON'T THINK DELAYING ACCEPTING WILL BENEFIT YOU, YOU MAY AS WELL HAVE THE MONEY WHILE YOU WAIT FOR THE EXTRA BIT X) They then paid the money straight into our account within the 3-5 days promised (actually, within 2 I reckon) so you couldn't ask for any more. It came at just the right time too as our old car literally died the fortnight before.
    So to all of you, keep going, you can do it on your own without a claims company, and Pinnacle ARE paying out.

Everyone keep updating on here, and I will when we get a further offer,
    Best of Luck
  • daveyboybikes
    daveyboybikes Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 September 2012 at 8:21AM
    Options
    Here Here, I too have done this all without a third party company. The Result :- Lloyds TSB 2800, paid back. 3 claims against First National/GE Money/Cardif Pinnacle 2 interim payments of 3500, and 1200, and awaiting a third judgement. It can be done!
  • yesnik
    Options
    i am new to the forum and confused, i have received a letter from Cardif Pinnacle stating i failed to raise an issue within 3 years of receiving the expiry letter which was sent to us on 13/02/2009 (according to them, i cant even remember having one). it was at this point that we should have complained, because it is 6 years they have closed their internal appeals process. please can anyone advise me
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yesnik wrote: »
    i am new to the forum and confused, i have received a letter from Cardif Pinnacle stating i failed to raise an issue within 3 years of receiving the expiry letter which was sent to us on 13/02/2009 (according to them, i cant even remember having one). it was at this point that we should have complained, because it is 6 years they have closed their internal appeals process. please can anyone advise me

The FSA have a timebar rule. You have 6 years from commencement of the policy or three years from the event where you are reasonably aware of the problem to make a complaint. Whichever is the later.

They appear to be applying the 3 year time bar here.

What is your complaint? If it is a mis-sold PPI issue then you may be able to argue the point about the timebar to the FOS. If it is a policy servicing issue or something that happened in the period you held it then the timebar seems fair.

If it is a PPI mis-sale complaint then why you are complaining to Pinnacle? They do have liability in some cases but most of their plans were sold by others and it is they who have the liability.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • yesnik
    yesnik Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 November 2012 at 6:36PM
    Options
    thank you for your answer, it was first national (which is Ge money now) that we took the loan out with, which we didnt know had ppi, the loan has finished now, when i phoned to ask about ppi on the loan they told us to contact cardif pinnacle as they was the insurers on the loan xx just to add, it was coldseal windows that got the loan, when we had them to put our windows in, but they are no longer around.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yesnik wrote: »
    we didnt know had ppi
    this backs up why they have time barred you, if they sent a letter about policy expiring you should have known about it then, as its taken you over 3 years to complain its now time barred.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure