Employer's paid salary into overdrawn account

Options

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    You're very unfortunate, but you probably won't get the remedy you are asking for.

Instead, see if your employer will loan you a grand (or so) which will be deducted from your next 10 pay packets - that will pay the bills for now, and you are in effect getting a bonus interest-free loan to offset the overdraft interest. You'd actually walk away the winner in the longer term
  • catfish50
    catfish50 Posts: 545 Forumite
    Options
    Onyourcase wrote: »
    I was hoping for some better legal advice here. I get the sense that those that have reponded so far as thinking "here's someone that wants paid twice". Please try to be a bit more empathetic. Imagine all your salary this month had been paid by your employer directly paying off part of your mortgage. Yes, you've been paid, yes, you now owe less mortgage. But how are you going to pay all your monthly bills! You might be thinking like me, I want my salary paid as normal now and then we can talk about and deal with the overpayment?

I don't think people are being unempathetic, it's just that the facts are hard, and there doesn't seem to be any way around them. The bank's within its rights to offset the money, and the employer's not likely to pay you again without having firm arrangements in place for the return of the mistaken payment.

Have you tried ringing National Debtline again?
  • Onyourcase
    Onyourcase Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    paulmx3 wrote: »
    sorry you have not got any better advice up to now,this forum does seem to be plagued by many people with a bankers attitude towards "lower class" working people with money issues....:o

it may be worth approaching your bank to see what can be done,but,i do feel your employers have made the error here.
    Thanks. Yes, my employers acknowledge they've made a mistake. Two months ago I explained to them why I didn't want my salary paid into the old account.
  • Onyourcase
    Onyourcase Posts: 154 Forumite
    Options
    Banks, National Debtline and employers are all closed until Tuesday.
  • paulmx3
    paulmx3 Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Banks, National Debtline and employers are all closed until Tuesday.

best advice i can give then is a duvet,food,drink an internet connection,tv guide and tv to last out till tuesday.
  • LittleMissMPB
    Options
    If you have explained to your employers why you didn't want the money paid into the old account, can you go to them again, explain what issues it has caused. As they admit it was their mistake, you could ask them to loan you a months worth of wages, and take a repayment from the next couple (or more) months pay so you don't owe them money. I'm seeing it as yes, they made a mistake, it's put you in an awkward position, it would make sense to me that a decent company would at least try to help? (I'll apologise now if I'm wrong, I can be a bit naiive with things like this)
    Mummy to beautiful 5yr old girl and a gorgeous 1yr old boy:D
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dont you have 24 hour banking
  • Googlewhacker
    Googlewhacker Posts: 3,887 Forumite
    Options
    Even though they made a mistake you have little hope in them forking the money out again without you having to pay it back. I would suggest you ask for a loan of the wage and pay it back over 12 months.

Not what you wanted to hear but I'll be amazed if they give you the money without getting it back.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would speak to the bank, if you have come to an agreement to pay back the overdraft with them, then they should hopefully allow you to withdraw the extra.
    Don't all banks now have 24 hour telephone banking? Or are CS not available over the weekend?
    Do you work for a large company? A small company may not have a spare months salary to lend you.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree with the forums agruments so far. I think what need to be done is 1) Employer pays me into my correct account to correct their mistake and 2)Asks me to recover as much as possible from old account to mitigate their costs

The employer cannot pay you twice, they have paid money into your bank account just not the new one and now your salary has been used by the bank (quite rightly) to reduce your overdraft. The employer cannot recall the money nor should they. I am assuming that the old account is still live because you owe the bank money?

I think you need to sell stuff, use a credit card or borrow from family to cover your mortgage payments and then ask the employer to ensure that the salary next month goes into the correct account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure