PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Ingredients:

1 onion

some mushrooms

some frozen peas and or sweetcorn

pinch of ginger and of garlic

1 tin of tuna

3 -4 eggs

Instructions:

Chop the onion and mushrooms and add to some oil in the frying pan.

Add the ginger and garlic now.

When the oil is quite warm add the onion and mushroom and simmer gently till the onion is transparent.

Meanwhile drain the tuna, and then add.

Now add the frozen bits, bring up to temperature and simmer for a five minutes.

Add the eggs shelled but unbroken one at a time in different places.

When they're beginning to cook through, gently stir them a bit to get a mix of white and the yellow yolk blending through everything else.

When the egg is done, serve. With one small can this is a good meal for two. Pad with bread and butter if needed.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Blackberry/Raspberry Preserve

This can be made with either fruit depending on the season (or what is lurking in the bottom of the freezer)

4lb Raspberries (or Blackberries)
    4 lb Sugar

Put the fruit on to a large flat meat dish and put the sugar on to another one. Set your oven temperature at Gas3/335F/170C and place the dishes near the top of the oven.

When the fruit juice begins to run, which will be after about 15mins, take out the fruit and tip it into a large saucepan, followed by the sugar. Put over a very low flame for about 5 mins and beat the fruit and sugar together with a wooden spoon until sugar has dissolved.

Pot at once in hot jam jars and seal in the usual way.

I find that this keeps better in the fridge and indeed tastes even better. Also the berry seeds don't become so hard and gritty this way and the fruit keeps it's lovely just picked flavour and colour.

Really nice on ice cream or mixed into plain yogurt (similar to a fruit corner IMO)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Here's a quick and easy sponge pudding that can be knocked up in a matter of minutes and zapped just as quickly in the microwave for those "must have now" comfort food moments ;)

The following quantities are plenty for 4 people and I often halve this to make a smaller version for 2 and cook for a minute or so less :)

Ingredients (basic sponge)

4oz (100g) butter/marg
    4oz (100g) sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    4oz (100g) SR Flour
    2-3 tbsp milk

Beat butter and sugar together, add beaten egg, fold in flour and add sufficient milk to dropping consistency. Pour into buttered microwavable bowl, cover with cling film, leaving small gap for steam to escape, and zap for 3-4 minutes on HIGH (based on 800W) ... leave to stand for a couple of minutes after.

BE CAREFUL REMOVING CLING FILM AS STEAM WILL STILL BE PRESENT!!!

Variations:

Syrup sponge - place 2 tbsp golden syrup in bottom of bowl before adding pudding mix.

Ginger sponge - add a tsp of ground ginger with flour (nice combined with syrup!)

Chocolate sponge - replace 1oz/25g of flour with cocoa powder.

Spotted !!!!!! - add a handful of sultanas/raisins to pudding mix.

Upside down fruit sponge - add slices of pear, apple or pineapple etc (peeled and cored) in bottom of dish before adding pudding mix (pear is nice combined with ginger, cinnamon with apple, or even syrup too!!! YUM!!!)

Jam Sponge - place 2 tbsp jam of choice in bottom of bowl before adding pudding mix.

Lemon Sponge - add 2 tbsp lemon juice in place of milk and grated rind of half a lemon to pudding mix.

I'm sure you can all think of lot's of other variations you can do too, adding fruit/spices etc...

Enjoy!!!! :)

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Following the Sponge pudding, here's a microwaveable Suet Pudding Recipe.

Ingredients:

150g 5oz self raising flour
    pinch of salt
    50g 2oz caster sugar
    50g 2oz suet
    I egg
    150ml 1/4pt milk

Instructions:

Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well

Make a well in the middle and add the egg beaten with milk. Mix to a soft dropping consistency.

Cover and cook on high for 5-6 minutes (800W0

That's the basic pud.

Variations:

Add jam, or lemon curd, or marmalade (YUM), to the bottom of the bowl before pouring in your mixture...

Or add 50g 2oz sultanas and or other dried fruit and mixed peels to your taste.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Makes 3lb

2lb grated carrots
    1.5 lb sugar
    2 lemons quarter and sliced
    2 teaspoons ground ginger

Cook the carrots with a little water until tender. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the sliced lemons and cook all together slowly until the mixture thickens and reaches setting point. Pot in warm cleans jars. Cover with waxed paper discs and seal. Store in a dark dry cool place.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    2oz margarine
    1oz cocoa
    2tbsp milk
    8oz icing sugar

Melt the marg in a bowl over boiling water...add in the cocoa and milk...stir a bit until silky and smooth. Then add in the icing sugar bit by bit stiring each bit before you add some more. When you finish you should have a warm chocolate fudge topping that you can put both inside the cake, and on top.

When cold the topping does set.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    (from old recipe book - the only recipe book I use for game)

1 rabbit (incl. it's liver)
    1 onion
    1 turnip
    1 carrot
    dripping
    seasoning
    stock or water and milk
    flour
    small parsnip
    piece of celery

Joint your rabbit, cut all the veggies into small pieces. Heat the dripping (or oil) and fry all the veggies for a few minutes, stirring. Add your rabbit joints and turn them, keeping the saucepan on a high heat. Add the rabbit liver, finely chopped. Pour off any excess fat.
    Add seasoning and enough stock and milk mixed to come three-quarters of the way up the contents of the pan. Cover with a lid and simmer until done (3/4's - 1hr) Thicken with the flour which has been blended to a past with some cold water.
    Can be adapted to cook in your slow cooker.
    Serves 4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    (same old recipe book LOL )

1 rabbit
    1 dessertspoonful of curry powder
    1/2lb onions
    1 small apple
    approx 4 Tbsp dripping/oil
    1 dessertspoonful chutney
    salt n pepper
    Flour or cornflour
    rice, risotto or mashed potatoes
    Water or stock

Sprinkle jointed rabbit all over with the curry powder. Cut the onions into slices, chop the apple.
    Heat the fat in a heavy based pan/stewpan, add the onions and fry until brown.
    Add the rabbit joints and stir for a few minutes until a rich gravy comes from the meat ( the juices should flow). Add about 3/4 to one pint of water or stock bit by bit and stir well.
    Now add the apple and chutney. Season.
    Boil up, cover with a lid and lower the heat; simmer for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
    Blend 3 tsps of flour or cornflour with a little water, add to the stock and stir until boiling.
    Serve with rice, risotto or mashed potato.

Serves 4
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    First Post
    Peppermint Creams

8oz Icing Sugar (approx!) plus extra for dusting
    1 egg white
    Few drops of peppermint extract
    Few drops of green food colouring (optional)
    Chocolate

Beat the egg white lightly, until it's frothy. Beat the icing sugar into the egg white until you get a stiff dough. Dust work surface with a little icing sugar, turn out the dough, add 3 to 4 drops of peppermint extract and knead lightly to incorporate.

Divide mixture into 2. Add 2 to 3 drops of green colouring to one half of dough and knead to incorporate. (This step is optional, if you prefer not to use colouring, just ignore this bit and proceed to next step)

Roll out each piece of dough to about 0.5cm thickness and stamp out rounds using small cutters. (I improvise by using the end of icing nozzle, but anything small will do!) Press gently with the back of a fork to leave indents. Lift carefully onto a tray and leave for a few hours to dry.

Melt chocolate and dip half of each mint into chocolate. Leave to set. Enjoy!

Variations: Add a crushed crunchie bar at the same time as adding peppermint extract.

Omit peppermint and use coffee, either coffee essence or dissolve a teaspoon of coffee in the smallest amount of hot water you can get away with. These are also nice dipped in chocolate.

Flavour with 2 teasppons of peanut butter. You can also roll them in crushed peanuts before leaving to dry.

Replace peppermint with lemon essence. Drizzle lightly with lemon glace icing.

Add dessicated coconut.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Baking Mix (Similar to Bisquick)
    Keeps well and is a good base for waffles, pancakes, muffins etc

9 cups/2 + 1/4 lb plain flour
    2/3 cup/11 tablespoons dried milk powder
    3 tablespoons baking powder
    2 tsp salt
    1 cup/8 oz margarine or butter

Mix flour and other dry ingredients. Cut in margarine/butter. (Use a mixer on low to cut in marge/butter to save time). Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months but refrigerate if using butter.

American style Pancakes

250g/9 oz baking mix
    1 oz sugar
    1 med egg
    10 fl oz milk (or milk and water as milk powder is in baking mix)

Heat up griddle or frying pan and grease with veg oil or non stick cooking spray. Stir together all ingredients until blended. Pour slightly less than 50ml/2 fl oz batter onto hot griddle. Cook on one side and when bubbles break on surface and edges begin to dry flip over. Makes 15-18 medium pancakes. Lovely served with maple syrup and melted butter.

Baking Mix Muffins

2 + 1/4 cups/9 oz baking mix
    1/4 cup/1 oz sugar
    1 med egg
    3/4 cup/6 fl oz water
    1/3 cup/3 fl oz vegetable oil

Mix dry baking mix and sugar. Add egg, water and veg oil to dry ingredients. Mix only enough to moisten flour. The batter will be lumpy. Fill greased muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 400F/Gas 6/200C for 20 minutes.
    For an added surprise fill muffin case halfway and then add a spoon of jam. Top with more batter. Or add choc chips or cinnamon and raisins.
    Makes 12 - 15 muffins.

Waffles

9oz baking mix
    1 oz sugar
    2 tablespoons veg oil
    1 med egg
    10 +1/2 fl oz milk (or milk and water as milk powder is in baking mix)

Heat waffle iron and grease with non stick cooking spray or vegetable oil. Stir ingredients until blended. Pour onto centre of waffle iron. Bake for about 5 mins or until steaming stops. Carefully remove waffle. Makes 3 x 9" waffles or several more smaller ones. These freeze very well and I have reheated them in a toaster for a quick breakfast with butter and maple syrup poured over when hot.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport