We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing benefit rate if under 25 but living as a couple??

Options
Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what LHA (housing benefit) rate a couple get if they live together, but are both under 25??

Because i know for single under 25s the amount paid is a joke and nowhere near enough to live on,
but if you live as a couple do you then qualify for the 'normal' 1bedroom self contained rate, that over 25 singles would be able to get??

Thanks

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Pretty sure it's still the shared house one room rate.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    This has already been answered in your other thread.
  • Angel89_2
    Angel89_2 Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    This has already been answered in your other thread.

Does anyone actually know the links to any government/council webistes where it clearly specifies the policy and rate about this though??

Because i looked o the LHA webiste but it doesn't actually say if under 25 couples can get the 1bedroom rate or not.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/pdfs/TRSHB(LHA)2CP.pdf
  • giraffejoe
    giraffejoe Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Angel89 and I work in Housing Benefits for my local authority.

If you are in a couple it doesn't matter what age you are, you will *always* receive the 1 bedroom rate (unless you have dependants). There are no exceptions to this.
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    If you are under 25

If you are under the age of 25, not part of a couple or responsible for any children, your maximum rent will be for a single room, rather than for your ownflat or house...'single room rent restriction' [may] not apply to you if you are living with ..a partner

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_for_young_people
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit_and_local_housing_allowance/housing_benefit_calculations#6

Example advice from a council website

http://www.thanet.gov.uk/advice__benefits/benefits/local_housing_allowance/rates_-_lha.aspx

"Single claimants aged 25 years-old and over, care leavers under 22 years-old and childless couples will qualify for the one bedroom rate of LHA, but only if they have either exclusive use of two or more rooms, or exclusive use of one room, a bathroom, a toilet, and a kitchen or facilities for cooking. "
  • Angel89_2
    Options
    Ah ok, thankyou very much giraffe and jowo.. :)

Can i ask what proof do they require of you living as a couple though please?? :huh:

Is it for any couples, even if only one of them is actually named on the tenancy agreement contract??

And if you are a 'recent couple', who have only just moved into together that week/month,
    and so previously as you were single occupant you got single occupant discount on council tax,
    and so how likely is it that they will say ''we dis-believe you are a couple now'',
    or, ''we need to see bills and bank statements of the other person going to that address before we will process your claim as a couple''??.

Sorry to always sound so pessimistic and worried,
    its just i dont like havibg my life and health at any risk whatsoever,
    and so i always make sure to cover all the possible bad scenarios inadvance so that i can ensure that theres no chance of them happening and damaging my life. :(
  • Breast_Cancer_Survivor
    Options
    On one of your previous threads you asked whether you would be entitled to more housing benefit if a 16 yr old girl moved in with you.

You stated that you were not even going out with her & that it was purely a financial arrangement in order that you could give up your job as you were not happy about paying taxes.

It looks like that thread has been deleted as im unable to find it but how do you expect people to help you when you seem to change your situation constantly in order to obtain benefits.

It's people like you that give people like me that genuinely need to claim a bad name.
    I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.
    Lucille Ball
  • mealone
    mealone Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    On one of your previous threads you asked whether you would be entitled to more housing benefit if a 16 yr old girl moved in with you.

You stated that you were not even going out with her & that it was purely a financial arrangement in order that you could give up your job as you were not happy about paying taxes.

It looks like that thread has been deleted as im unable to find it but how do you expect people to help you when you seem to change your situation constantly in order to obtain benefits.

It's people like you that give people like me that genuinely need to claim a bad name.

I though I must have misread the user name BCS because the thread has gone, I can understand why!

Some genuine benefit claimants are scorned and called scroungers Angel89, you are a scrounger and you do reserve our scorn.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Angel89 wrote: »
    Ah ok, thankyou very much giraffe and jowo.. :)

Can i ask what proof do they require of you living as a couple though please?? :huh:

Is it for any couples, even if only one of them is actually named on the tenancy agreement contract??

And if you are a 'recent couple', who have only just moved into together that week/month,
    and so previously as you were single occupant you got single occupant discount on council tax,
    and so how likely is it that they will say ''we dis-believe you are a couple now'',
    or, ''we need to see bills and bank statements of the other person going to that address before we will process your claim as a couple''??.

Sorry to always sound so pessimistic and worried,
    its just i dont like havibg my life and health at any risk whatsoever,
    and so i always make sure to cover all the possible bad scenarios inadvance so that i can ensure that theres no chance of them happening and damaging my life. :(

It is a shame that your other thread has been deleted because your sob story above gives a very false impression.

The truth is you and your 16 year old friend want to screw the system because you do not like to pay tax.
  • Angel89_2
    Options

Ofcourse i dont want to 'giveup' my job.

Im struggling enough as it is with my salary, let alone the struggle it would be if i lost salary and only had benefits.

But my job is EXTREMELY unstable, and so i hate having to live everyday in constant fear that by the end of that week i could be living homless and starving as a beggar,
    just because my boss decides to fire me or make me redundant or half my hours! :(

And thats why the current case is that has got me re-worried,
    that for the next month i am not on the work roat at all with everyone else,
    even though ive asked my boss a few times now about it.

And so unless i manage to get the hours given to me, then i will endup with no salary at end of month, unable to pay my rent, get evicted, and have no money to feed myself of have a roof over my head!! :mad::(

So yes, i do care about myself and know that i need to look after myself since no-one else is going to!
    And especially when ive been paying a few hundred quid in tax every month, now is the time that i do need to use that fund that ive been paying into, and so want to make sure i get that.

And yes, the person who i have come to live with me as my other half of the couple wont be someone i deeply love or anything,
    since i currently dont have a boyfriend or girlfriend. (not that 'couple' has to be an initmate otherhalf though, could be a companion of any sort that i choose to co-habit with).

And yes, the main reason why i would be choosing to have them move in with me now is so i can get an amount of benefit that will actually pay what its meant to pay!
    And not so much because i feel lonely and fancy having someone live with me now.

However no matter what anyones opinion of that is, its not illegal and not a crime at all.
    I may be making use of how the system is structured and taking some perfectly legal steps to get a better deal for myself, however i also would like some company to stop me getting lonely, and if as an extra result to that im then elegible for the ''normal'' rate of housing benefit so be it.

Im not trying to live in some kinda giant luxury flat or mansion house, and get the tax payers to fund my multi-thousand pounds per month rent or anything like that!

Im not trying to claim jsa and not reall look for work/work but still claim it,
    i did the opposite infact and stopped it myself after just 3weeks of getting it, even though i didnt start getting paid from that job for 3months after that!!

Im not even trying to set myself up for a long career on benefits.

ALL i want is to be able to get the rate that i need, which is the rate for a small little flat that i can live in.
    (I dont even have a bedroom, i live in a studio flat!)

Despite what the council may think us under 25s DONT have a standing order that comes into our bank accounts each month for a few hundred quid which we can use to pay our rent.

Landlords dont knock £300 per month off our rent ust because of our age.

And we DONT get working tax credits, like over 25s get, so have even less money coming in!

So no i dont feel at all guilty or 'wrong' at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport