PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going vegan......old style?!

Options

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I used to be a vegan in the 90s when i was at uni
    sack of spuds, sack of onions, tinned tomatoes and a huge bag of lentils and chickpeas, many possible outcomes!
    baked bean curry for a treat LOL
    oh and pizza without cheese (hate the fake stuff)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    suep wrote: »
    Im trying to do my menu plan for the next week and Im stumbling a bit, I need 2 more vegan dinners. Ive gone back over the last few pages for some insperation and came across Doom &Glooms list of meal ideas on page 1, I hope its not too cheeky but would you be able to write out your recipe for vegetable curry please :o When I was veggie I made one that had natural yogurt stirred in at the end and Im not sure if I can use the same reipe without the yogurt now Im a very new vegan.
    Im really enjoying this thread
    I use the coconut milk to make my veggie curries. Sometimes I will also use dairy free yogurt. Post 78 in this thread shows you a way to make it yourself so you don’t have to keep buying it and as blue moon points out in post 80 you can use plain alpro soya yogurt as a starter. I’ll also add some home made soya milk if I feel I want it even creamier hehe.

I use any veg I feel I want or that needs using (around 1.2kg or more easily of veg as I bulk cook it in my slow cooker for at least 4 portions) and usually lentils as well (100g dry or so). I then use the coconut milk/soya yogurt/soya milk and then add the spices (cayenne pepper, madras powder, paprika etc. to my liking. I tend to use A LOT of spices as I like my curries that way). I’m sure you could use the recipe you used before with a bit of adjustment rather easily. Remember curries have to be done to each persons taste. They aren’t set in stone.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where do you get them and how much are they??

I've got the Patak's ones from Tesco. Sharwoods do them too. It's a while since I bought any and they were (from what I remember) about 38p, but as I say it was a while ago - I bought a few packs so they've lasted.
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Just found the curry recipe Ive used before and thought Id write it out as its very easy and cheap.
    225g potatoes/600ml water or veg stock/115g broccoli/115g cauliflower/115g carrots/115g peas (fresh or frozen) 2tbs mild curry paste/4tbs natural live yogurt ( natural soya yogurt, coconut milk)
    Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks, cook in the stock or water for 15mins.Add the broccoli and cauli, both cut into florets and the carrots peeled and roughly chopped. Cook for a further 10 mins then add the peas and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the curry paste and cpmbine well, remove from heat and allow to cool a little then stir in yogurt/coconut milk. Serve immediatly with rice or what ever you like.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • Joyful25
    Options
    Thank you to twinkle star so, so much for starting this thread, it was like reading my own story :j . I am a new vegan as well, having gone full on from Jan 1st. I also missed out the vegetarian level I guess you could call it, but I have been scaling down my animal consumption over some years (like I haven't had milk, or bought leather and suede for years) and last autumn decided that the new year would be the new start.

I'm very lucky in that I have a close friend who's vegan and she's been a great support. We did a rece of Sainsbury's not only to look at some of the basics but also the food which is always good to have on stand-by. However, I want to cook as close to from scratch as possible not only to ensure I'm living by the vegan ethics and also being healthy, but to promote a hopefully positive image of veganism and of course to be as frugal as possible.

My OH is already a bit sick of bean-based dinners but, hey, you have to start somewhere :wink: I guess a lot of you have had the experience if you live in a household of non-vegans!

When I've read through the thread, hopefully I'll be able to add any useful tips. I'm so happy I've come across this as even though I have support from a good friend, you do still feel in the wilderness a bit, especially as a lot of on-line info around is not from the UK and so includes unfamiliar products, manufacturers etc.
    :D
  • Joyful25
    Options
    I've been very naughty and not read the whole thread, because I was itching to put what will hopefully be a couple of helpful bits and pieces.

Alpro soya milk is 2 for £1.50 in Sainsbury's (er, at least it was on Sunday, apologies if this has changed :o ). On recommendation, I've been buying the one fortified with B12 (it has yellow packaging).
    Linda McCartney Sausages were £1 in Tesco but this could now be a very old offer!!

I tried this recipe for spiced dhal last night from Prima magazine which was vegan apart from the use of butter. It was nice and spicy without requiring first aid for the mouth and of course the split peas tick a few nutrition boxes; OH had it with naan bread but I'm currently on a soft food diet (had a jaw op last month, so nothing too labouring unfortunately) and not come across vegan naan anyway....but it kept me full up and it made enough for me to have seconds tonight. It would accompany a curry, but I found it substantial enough as a mains:

1tbsp olive oil knob of soya marg
    1 onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1tsp ground cumin + garam masala
    1in piece of fresh ginger (I didn't have any!) :mad:
    2 green chillies
    330g split yellow peas
    4 tomatoes, skinned and chopped (I didn't have any, so used two Basics tin of chopped toms, although i think one will do)
    fresh corianderleaves

1.Add oil and soya marg to large pan, then add onion and cook til soft
    2.Stir through garlic, cumin, g.masala, ginger and chillies and cook for about a minute
    3.Stir in split peas then pour 2 pints hot water, bring to boil, then simmer til peas are soft (just under an hour I found). Add more water if you find it's drying out a bit
    4.Add tomotoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and when served, dot butter through, sprinkle with g.masala and enjoy :j

Misc:
    OH doesn't notice when I use Pure spread on his sandwiches, jacket p's, etc. so it saves buying one marg for me and one for him :money:
    I find dried soya mince (again from H&B) is much better value than the frozen goods (one packet lasts me ages, as opposed to a more expensive frozen pack which lasts only meal). Again, unless I tell MJ what it is, he often doesn't notice so it means we can have the same meal.
    :D
  • kim_ley
    kim_ley Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_ley, I breastfed 3 children for 2 years each (not all at the same time) and was 100% vegan the whole time. It's a perfectly healthy diet for breasfeeding.

I know it is but starting out a lot of people going vegan can get it wrong not eating a balanced enough diet and I don't want to risk doing that to my baby. If I had already go into the vegan diet before getting pregnant then I would have no quibbles but as I'm still new to the veggie life I want to ease myself in to make sure I do it right lol if that makes any sense???

Well anyway I don't know if anyone has posted this but I found some great looking recipes on here...
    http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes.html
    You can chose what sort you look at eg. veggie vegan gluten free and so on.
    I'm an MSE SLACKER!!!! Slap my bum.

Been a long time but i'm back.
    :o
  • fernliebee
    fernliebee Posts: 1,803 Forumite
    Options
    oooh just thought I'd mention, I found vegan B12 tablets in home bargains for 99p. Online they are much more expensive.
  • kim_ley
    kim_ley Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    Options
    oh also I saw yesterday in tesco on the free from section... vegan chocolate (various) vegan mayo vegan cheese sauce (i made some last night its ooooh so goood!) and ummm oh yeah good for kiddies... BOB THE BUILDER VEGAN PASTA SHAPES!!! :)
    I'm an MSE SLACKER!!!! Slap my bum.

Been a long time but i'm back.
    :o
  • fernliebee
    fernliebee Posts: 1,803 Forumite
    Options
    I love that vegan cheese sauce made into a pasta bake. Yum! I make it with oat milk rather than water (as per instructions) as first time I followed them and it was very watery and not that great, second time used milk and yum!!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure