PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

just popped on to update my sig. im sorry i have not had time to read todays thread, and a friend has just turned up. will try to later.

i think im under budget this month, but im not 100% sure if everything has gone on. this is my first month and im still not sure wha hubby is spending and where some of my cash goes. oh well im trying.

i did try to create a budget of some discription.... very very hard and scary....

car repairs xmas and birthdays etc if i allow for this i would be in overdraft every month. all we pay for is food bills ect no takeaways ever a meal out is macdonalds for the kids once a month at the most. CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY?

what can i do.

well i suppose thats why im here.

my budget finishes on sun. i only need milk until then. my freezers x2 are nearly full and a lot in the cuboards as well. i might try £400 for August although i will be feeding 9 everyday for that. breakfast lunches and eve meal!!!

take care karen
  • chocolateteddy
    Options
    shala_moo wrote: »
    Has any one been to Tesco today... If you spend more than £30 at ours they are giving you 40 Tetley teabags and a packet of Maryland cookies for FREE. I was wondering if it was a nationwide thing.. very odd.. you fetch them after you've done your shopping/check out.

Hi yes it was in lowestoft and Gt Yarmouth. Me and sister went to Yarmouth one this week and I laughed when I went in and said 'look if they think I'm spending £30 just to get a packet of biscuits and 40 teabags!!!!'
    but I came out with my biccies and teabags and I didn't even want anything yet managed to spend £34:eek: Luckily it doesn't come out of GC budget as it was a waterproof jacket for DD and play parachute:rolleyes:
    I think the stores at the moment just want to get you through the doorwith cheap offers and hope you'll spend more But as a converted MSE Grocery Challenger I go in and stick to my list:rotfl: So they get no extra out of me but as they say Every Little Helps!!
    Not sure if I'm going to make it inside my budget this month still got a week to go till holiday and end of month and we have had a couple of days of takeaways - how could I go down beach and say no to icecreams and nothing beats watching the red arrows eating chips and sand:D
    Oh well theres always next month!!
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    Here is the recipe I mentioned earlier, hope it makes sense (it is one of my own so sorry if its jumbled- not had to write it down before). Its great for using up extra mince or mince/lentil mix and you can use whatever mediterranean veg you have around eg mushrooms, peppers, courgettes, onions etc. You could add some chilli and kidney beans to this to make it a Mexican version (I am adding some chilli tomorrow to leftover mince mix to have spicy pasta).

Mediterrean Mince and Potato 'Pie' (for 2-3 servings) ideal for using up extra mince or mince/lentil mix.
    • 4-5 largeish potatoes (if bakers then 2 would likely be enough for this size).
    • 2-4 small cupfulls cooked mince (or mince/lentil mix)
    • Half red or orange pepper (or 5 small ones)- cut into chunks
    • 1 courgette- cut into chunks
    • 1/2-1 red onion (depending on size)- cut into chunksHalf tin plum toms, or equivalent amount of roasted toms (I used the ones I had roasted up with some basil that had been frozen)
    • 1-2 tbsp tomato puree
    • good glug worcestershire sauce
    • beef stock/beef stock cube and water to mix (I used a Knorr cube this time)
    • good handful grated cheese (I used a mix of chedd/parmesan)
    • small handful fresh basil/oregano (you could use dried of these- use less, or use italian dried herbs instead)
    1. Cook the mince (mince/lentil mix as you normally would)- this is ideal for using up a batch of pre-made mince mix if you have it.
    2. Cook the potatoes, either whole or in large chunks, and allow to cool.
    3. Fry (or roast if you have time) the chunked peppers, courgettes and onions. Drain and add to the mince mix along with stock to make it just slightly thicker than spag bol consistency. (I used roasted peppers I already had in the freezer- straight from frozen, and fried the onion/courgette)
    4. Let this simmer gently together for 5-10 mins and then add the tomatoes, tom puree, wors sauce, and season to taste.
    5. Then add all of this mix to a small casserole dish, so that you have a reasonable layer on the bottom.
    6. Then slice the potatoes into approx 1 inch thick 'scallops' and layer these over the top of the mince mix (don't worry about overlap).
    7. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
    8. Heat through in the oven at 200 for approx 1/2 hr.
    9. Serve alone or with a handful of mixed veg.
    PS The iced buns are moreish- I have eaten at least 5 today already :shhh:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Finally got to the shops tonight. Still got plenty in so only needed a few bits.

Total spend £31.14

Managed to get a whole shoulder of lamb for £8.
    Mr M are doing a offer on spring lamb ATM cant remember but i think it was about 1/3 off.
    The lamb has been seperated up for meals and am hoping to get at least 8 meals out of it.

Free range eggs are still on offer 18 for £2.58

Am making a big batch of savoury mince tonight using both soya mince and beef mince plus bulked out with usual porridge and lentils.

Signature updated

:beer:
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made Apple Flapjacks last night and they are good. I think I would double the amount of flapjack next time though. Or try this recipe fom Ocado
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Options
    Got some Twinks in the oven at the mo. I replaced 1/2 oz of the sugar with vanilla sugar, and boy do they smell good :drool: I just hope they taste as good.

Lots of fab recipes on here tonight - cheers all :D But it does cause a bit of a dilemma as I can't decide which to try first! :rotfl:
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Been to worcester on wednesday. The butchers close to LAkelands was selling
    15 eggs for £1.35. Very good price me thinks!
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just popping in to declare another spend of £28.30 which puts me well over my £130 target for the month making a total of nearly £150. And I need a few bits from the chinese supermarket tomorrow.

I'm trying to eat very sensibly at the minute which means a lot more fruit and veg which seems to be having a bit of an impact on the spending. Although things are so much more expensive now too! Still this is a time of year I tend to go a bit off the rails and this is less off the rails than normal...

Will post a final total in the next few days...hope you're all getting on okay!
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Just popped in to update my sig, but thought I would also say that Mr M has Muller corner 6 packs on offer 2 for £2 - normally £2.89 a pack - could make a special treat for the school hols.
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh could just eat a trifle, I make them with jam only swiss roll, sherry, optional, tin of fruit cocktail, nice thick custard and lots of cream.and for the children 100s & 1000s.
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport