PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    that sound yummy will try that at weekend i think

although trying to cut down on cakes as me and hubby want to eat a bit healthier only got 1 left at school for packed lunch and loads in freezer too

Have ordered a new freezer to go in garage as i want to buy a lamb and aside of beef next month the lamb is £1.65 per LB and its organic beef price? as yet due to feed price rises

this is the one i have gone for

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/388451/art/norfrost/c6aew.html?srcid=865

its A rated so should be economical to run

I got cashback too on the card i used to pay and a cashback site,shame about the delivery charge!

shaz
    Shaz
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear...re:portions from the coconut bites--guess it depends on how big you make them:confused: Not very helpful I know, but someone on the Grocery Challenge [apologies:o didn't make a note of the name & been doing sooooo much sine then:whistle: ]said they use two sheets of parchment paper or cling film & roll out to a little thicker than the finished product to allow for settlement. Then it's a case of cutting it up into squares once it's had the first chill.

So shall we say approx 35 "missurr hew arr spoilin gus" size bites to one mix....or make the total whatever is easiest to do the maths:D

I already add the obligatory oats & red lentils to basic spag-bag sauce & I'm working up to making a chilli--I love the stuff but one in particular doesn't "do" spicy:doh: & the other two think my curry is hot:p Wayyyy wayyyyy back in the mist of time I found some OOD baked beans in the cupboard & put just the one tin in the s/b sauce as it was & you'd have thought I'd committed murder:eek: The other three tins were drained & their sauce added to the s/b, while the beans thenselves were blitzed up & secreted in the cottage pie:rotfl:

Oh Ceri I had a quick look at those sites & my thistles didn't look anything like the edible ones...so I can sleep tonight---phew!
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    Oh dear...re:portion

Oh Ceri I had a quick look at those sites & my thistles didn't look anything like the edible ones...so I can sleep tonight---phew!

Good to know you havent wasted good food there then BigMumma. Me - I shall be lying there tonight repeating to myself "Must remember to take a suitable foraging book out with me to help me learn whatswwhat" and "Must start up more conversations like that one" (the one in question being that I was on a pretty lengthy bus journey today and by the end of it was discussing with 4 of the other passengers how I hadnt spotted one single bit of food growing in all the numerous gardens we had passed enroute). Me - I was feeling reasonably virtuous - as I was carrying a courgette plant, to add to my tomato plants, spaghetti squash, nasturtium, trays that hopefully will sprout 2 types of salad leaves and 2 pots that hopefully will develop some basil plants in them:D (says she - wishing I had a decent garden - rather than teensy back yard, with most of that heavily overshadowed by a blinkin' great wall:mad: )
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my first experience of lentils in the shape of Shaz's Shepherdless Pie, it was really lovely. Made it with beef stock and granuals as I am not a veggie but enjoy a meatfree meal every now and then. Didn't even miss the meat. I can thoroughly recommend this.
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! Just made this & its delicious!! Made it as a pressie for my mum who loves ginger but will have to make her another batch cos I'm drinking it :D ! Off to look up jam recipes for you Shaz!! Will report back soon!!

Ginger Sekanjabin
    print_logo.gifSubmitted by: The Magpie Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 5 Minutes Ready In: 2 Hours 15 Minutes
    Yields: 20 servings

"Sekanjabin is a refreshing Persian drink. This recipe makes a ginger-flavored syrup which, when stirred into water, makes a spicy, refreshing soft drink."
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]
    800 g white sugar
    590 ml water
    235 ml red or white wine
    vinegar
    45 g minced fresh ginger

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIRECTIONS:[/FONT]
    1.Boil the sugar and water together in a large saucepan over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the vinegar and minced ginger.2.Allow mixture to cool to room temperature, then strain out the minced ginger with a fine sieve. Store at room temperature in a sterile container.3.To use, stir 1 part syrup into 4 to 5 parts water; serve cold with ice if desired.
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this is what you meant by more info on vitamins Germish, but since bongedone had this for dinner, here is the nutritional profile of shaz's shepherdless pie:D( percentages of an adult woman's recommended daily amount):

Calcium
    18.68%
    Iron
    44.35%
    Magnesium
    52.35%
    Phosphorus
    66.46%
    Potassium
    28.31%
    Sodium
    3.09%
    Zinc
    50.54%
    Copper
    71.08%
    Manganese
    53.73%
    Selenium
    28.57%
    Vitamin C
    6.54%
    Thiamin
    68.91%
    Riboflavin
    22.00%
    Niacin
    47.74%
    Pantothenic acid
    40.54%
    Vitamin B6
    57.69%
    Folate
    106.29%
    Vitamin B12
    0.00%
    Vitamin A_IU
    1.93%
    Retinol
    0.37%
    Vitamin E
    0.00%
    Vitamin K
    14.58%
    Alpha-carotene
    112.54%

Food energy (kcal) 314.55 Protein (g) 16.516
    Very healthy, and with a side vegetable, I bet it's an even healthier meal!

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    hey weezl, not sure if its possible to get this book over here but if you can, i'd recommend "natural health made easy" by pamela allardice, isbn 0732909171

my mum got it in Oz and i've managed to pinch her copy for a couple of weeks (til she notices :D). it's got an a-z of home remedies, weight loss, stress relief, age reversing exercises, immune system boosting, and some interesting uses of nettles...
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Isom my jam recipes are all mixed so no recipes really needed but looking for pumkin jam recipe and a chutney which has lots of courgettes,runner beans and swede(in garden going bonkers) (quote Shaz)

Ok I've found a pumpkin jam recipe, pickled courgette, bottled beans & swede & bottling veg generally - although you need a pressure cooker for the latter! Happy to give recipes if you still need them! Just let me know which you want!

Weezl how you doing? Hope youre now fully recovered? Had a few hours at the allotment & with the help of lovely secretary and his ladder have now harvested some elderflower whch is steeping nicely! Loads more to be forraged and I ALMOST took a photo as one bush is surrounded by lush nettles which look fresh & high! Couldnt get any as had shorts on but if youre up for a forrage at the w/e we can get some then but long trousers & a ladder will be required! Elderflowers are high up but I am not!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Start simple hide things first like oats and red lentils in mince pearl barley in a casserole try baked beans in chillis then slowly work in more

I am lucky mine will eat almost anything except tomatoes(ds7) and mushrooms(ds16)

Shaz

Shaz, does ds also not like runner beans? My dd would never - and still doesn't - eat mushrooms or runner/French beans because they 'sqeak in the teeth'!
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weezl
    I think I meant more like, what vitamins do we need in what quantities and how do you get them on your budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure