PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    my my purple princess! what delicate appetites you have (either that or we're big ole oinkers:o)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    my my purple princess! what delicate appetites you have (either that or we're big ole oinkers:o)

Well we used to have more and I saw somewhere about these sizes being about right so we've just started using these weights. It normally fills up half the plate though and we obviously have other stuff with it, eg bolognaise and pasta, curry and rice etc etc.

But if I was to have a whole plate of pasta or rice I might cook more.
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    We have 60g (dried weight) of rice each and 100g (dried weight) of pasta each.

So you have double what we have!

If we have a jacket potato we have one that is probably around 250g-350g but have half this if we're having potatoes to accompany something.

I think we eat about the same as weezl for rice and potatoes but i only do 500g pasta for 4 ,eldest son off too college in september i think adjusting to cook for 3 is going to be hard

dont you eat pasta weezl ??

shaz
    Shaz
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    I have been resisting this thread since it started (v busy at work atm) but during a quiet patch this afternoon... I'm hooked! I'm going to have to ration myself to a few pages a day or my manager will go bananas!

Thank so much for making the index, there are tons of recipes I want to try myselff and share with friends. :beer:
  • germish_se
    germish_se Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually cook about 500g pasta or 350ml rice for me(big eater), DH, and the terribletwosome (teenageboys with growing appetites) served with a sauce or stew and salad or veg. That fills us up and usually leaves a small serving (for lunch)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    germish_se wrote: »
    I usually cook about 500g pasta or 350ml rice for me(big eater), DH, and the terribletwosome (teenageboys with growing appetites) served with a sauce or stew and salad or veg. That fills us up and usually leaves a small serving (for lunch)

I don't do much more than that quantity for 10 of us and usually have enough left for 2 lunches!!

I buy the 2kg pack of spaghetti and it does 4 meals plus at least 8 lunches
    the 5kg bags do about 8 meals with maybe twice as many lunches..

My 3 year old eats more than I do!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Goodness me a busy day!! Hope you feel better Weezl...have PM'd you!
    Ok lollies! I had a peek at the recipes but alas had none of the ingredients so just made up my own! So here you go...yummy they are!

1 can fruit of choice with juice (normal sized can)
    2 small pots plain yog
    1 teaspoon honey

In short blitz it all in the blender. Pour into moulds (99p at aldi/lidl at the mo) freeze and eat...mine just gone in & I'll let you know how they are but I tasted some of the slurp & they were lovely & creamy and a whole can = 2 fruit portions so you could eat the lots & still sort of be healthy!!

Continuing the thread of using whats in I just created a rather interesting but surprisingly yummy supper which goes as follows!

3 small potsboiled & chopped into chunk
    spoon of dried mushrooms
    2 rashers bacon (the thing that needed eating!)
    4 olives with almonds (special offer in Lidl!!)
    chunk of feta

Boil pots with mushrooms & drain. Chop pots & set aside. Chop bacon & fry in own fat. Add the mushrooms & pots (add olive oil if you need to but mine didnt) and brown the pots. In the last minute add the olives (what makes it an odd recipe me thinks!) and cheese. Eat :) Now I wasnt 100% sure about it but actually it was scrummy...for an ordinary meal you could try without the olives lol!! Can you price it up Weezl seeing as youre bored...and the lollies please!! Mine were from basic mixed fruit from sains & plain yogs from lidl...le me know if people want precise measurements. I did write the lollies down but am being a lazy *** and cant be bothered to walk to the kitchen lol!!

I suspect that Mr Weezl may need a councelling session at that piece of news. Does he know!! Thats a shocking £33 a month....you'll have to provide an awful lot of jam roly polys to get him through that let me tell you!!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Ps I have terrible sunburn and may need to resort to plain yog as its VERY painful! Only problem is I just put it in the lollies!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well weezl - if you reckon you and Mr Weezl are "oinkers" re potion size - <<cough>> that makes 3 of us then:D I've just had to look at my scales to work things out in metric sizes (as I still think in imperial sizes). Your 125 gr rice each - yep I have the same. Your 300 gr potatoes each - errrr....mine would be more like 400 gr. Your 250 gram pasta (Mr Weezl) - well he is a tall man (well I think I recall he was described as tall somewheres!) - I use 125 gr pasta for me. Morning porridge - 50 gr per serving of oatmeal or whatever for me (and then I have 2 pieces of toast - cough).

One reason I rarely touch sugar (besides the health factor) - with my appetite, I darent as I would be the size of a house (instead of just a few lbs overweight).

Regarding the generational difference - well in my family it manifests as "cant cook, wont cook (any more than she can help)" with my mother and I have cooking as a hobby (basically I taught myself).

And ...to quote a phrase from Moany Moany (in a somewhat different context to standard Yorkshire reason for using it:D ) - "HOW MUCH?........." - as in you are planning to try and live on HOW MUCH?:eek: ...(expletive deleted) I thought the last amount was "flippin' 'eck" level.:D
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Ps I have terrible sunburn and may need to resort to plain yog as its VERY painful! Only problem is I just put it in the lollies!!

OOhh poor you

tomatoes good too

Shaz

tea tonite chez shaz is bacon and roasted veg couscous with salad from the garden

also got a batch of rhubarb and ginger chutney going will let you know how it goes
    Shaz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport