PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Morning, it's been a while since I posted on here......good to see the challenge is still going strong Weezl...

On the re-used jam jars, have you asked on freecycle, or even friends and neighbours. Last time I asked on freecycle, I ended up with several donations. When I sorted through, I was able to match the jars and had several Bonne Maman ones and as such, my preserves matched.

Also, I think if you were to mention the re-cycled jar, but add that they have been scrubbed and sterilised, then folks will feel happier about buying green.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

Just reading through this thread and loving it !!

I am now having fun reading through Rhoda Jeans blog but would love the link to Shirley Goodes blog and also any others I might like :)

Just made some choc muffins from the recipe index and they have been a hit - made 12 and so far managed to freeze 4 !!!

Hope you don't mind if I keep reading.

T xx
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tashja wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

Just reading through this thread and loving it !!

I am now having fun reading through Rhoda Jeans blog but would love the link to Shirley Goodes blog and also any others I might like :)

Just made some choc muffins from the recipe index and they have been a hit - made 12 and so far managed to freeze 4 !!!

Hope you don't mind if I keep reading.

T xx

Weezl...you're up to 57 people having "thanked" you so far for starting this thread!:D

Errr....okay to give that link weazl?;)

'Yur tis:

http://shirleygoode.blogspot.com/
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Errr....okay to give that link weazl?;)
    :rotfl:course it is! You are the resident queen of good linkies! I read what shirley said about the thread, but she couldn't find our nettle recipes alas (think she read it pre-index!), and thought the challenge was too extreme for most. I've been pondering that a bit.

I genuinely have to say that we've really enjoyed the food we've had, The month of milk powder was a bit ropey, but drinkable, and a bit like camping. :DAll the other lovely things we've had do make up for it. Having a home made iced bun with lemon icing with a ropeyish cuppa is still a very nice snack! I don't mean this to sound defensive, I'm just really surprised that it seems an extreme diet. Puzzled I am, not anything else!:confused:

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the link.

DH is just out doing the veggie plot now and is saving all the baby nettles he finds - he was very wery about it at first but then the other day I bought some cheese's and one of them had by nettles in it and it was delicious so he is all for them now - and they're free !!!

Going to have a look through the index again for some more goodies and for some more ideas - Weezl your doing fab !!!

T xxx
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hello! Just thought I'd post, since I've just sat and read the whole thread in one sitting! (which certainly took a while ;) ) and its really interesting. I'm amazed that you can make so many meals and such a small price tag. Have noted the recipe for the pates, so when I get chance to make them, I'll let you know how they turn out! I'm going to keep reading though, great stuff!
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • Boomdocker
    Boomdocker Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Err, make that 58 thanks, as I forgot so just went back to do it. (hangs head in shame)
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I guess what Shirley meant could be things like the dried milk in drinks and cheese and eggs as luxury items.

People can vary as to where they are "coming from". I do see Shirley's point re most of us are eating more than we need to. I wonder myself how much I should be having throughout the course of a day to constitute a full days worth of normal eating (ie not diet) - but not excessive. I suspect (okay - virtually certain!) that that would mean less food than I actually do have. I would like to think I was eating exactly the amount I require - well part of me would:D - but my appetite just wouldnt be content with the 2 oz of pasta per person she seems to be advocating for instance (in my book its 4 oz each).

I'm wondering what I feel I couldnt do without and would therefore define as "extreme" - well:

1. it would definitely include things like only having 2 oz of pasta each.
    2. not having my real coffee and herbal teas as required.
    3. having to eat meat (if that was the cheapest protein food available - thinking of those Asda 2p sausages!).
    4. having to live on junk food on a regular basis (visions of "Angel Delight" swimming in front of my eyes - comes under my personal "pet hate" category!).

The above 4 things are changes I couldnt/wouldnt do no matter what - so, to me, that would be extreme to be expected to do that. We are all going to vary with that.
  • Sallygirl
    Sallygirl Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I've been reading Shirley Goode's blog daily and Rhonda Jean's too. Shirley Goode's book ( More for Your Money - written with Erica Griffiths) was such a help to me when i was first married. My favourite cake is from that book. In fact I recently bought another copy from Amazon Marketplace because mine had fallen to bits.

Runner Bean Chutney - this is one of my family's favourites and is made most years. We didn't make any last year because something ate all our bean plants so there were no beans to make it with. :( The chutney is just wonderful in a cheese sarnie and my mouth is watering at the thought. I've never made a duff batch yet so it ranks as one of my "foolproof" recipes and I haven't many of those. I've made it when I found that I didn't have any turmeric in the cupboard after all and it was still lovely but a nice deep, brown colour. The original recipe was from an old WI cookbook.

Runner Bean Chutney (sweet)

2 lbs runner beans (weighed when trimmed and sliced)
    1 ½ lbs onions (weighed when peeled and chopped)
    1 heaped tablespoon cornflour
    1 tablespoon turmeric
    1 heaped tablespoon dry mustard
    1 lb Demerara sugar
    1 lb soft brown sugar
    1 ½ pints vinegar

Prepare veg. Cook beans in well-salted water until tender. Cook chopped onions in ½ pint of the vinegar. Mix dry ingreds to a smooth paste with a little of the vinegar. Strain cooked beans then add to rest of vinegar and cook for 10 mins. Add sugar and rest of ingreds and boil a further 15 minutes. Bottle and cover.

This recipe keeps really well.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    I guess what Shirley meant could be things like the dried milk in drinks and cheese and eggs as luxury items.

People can vary as to where they are "coming from". I do see Shirley's point re most of us are eating more than we need to. I wonder myself how much I should be having throughout the course of a day to constitute a full days worth of normal eating (ie not diet) - but not excessive. I suspect (okay - virtually certain!) that that would mean less food than I actually do have. I would like to think I was eating exactly the amount I require - well part of me would:D - but my appetite just wouldnt be content with the 2 oz of pasta per person she seems to be advocating for instance (in my book its 4 oz each).

I'm wondering what I feel I couldnt do without and would therefore define as "extreme" - well:

1. it would definitely include things like only having 2 oz of pasta each.
    2. not having my real coffee and herbal teas as required.
    3. having to eat meat (if that was the cheapest protein food available - thinking of those Asda 2p sausages!).
    4. having to live on junk food on a regular basis (visions of "Angel Delight" swimming in front of my eyes - comes under my personal "pet hate" category!).

The above 4 things are changes I couldnt/wouldnt do no matter what - so, to me, that would be extreme to be expected to do that. We are all going to vary with that.

good point! I agree wholeheartedly. We will all vary with what's ok. I don't think me and Mr Weezl knew that fresh milk was a non-negotiable until a month ago ;)

I think I understood the idea of it being extreme differently, like 'extreme deprivation' or 'extremely austere' or something like that, but I get it now! Ceridwen, you're a good diplomat, sorting out my perplexedness
    :A think I'm still not quite myself after the ickiness! Hope your full sounding weekend has been good.;)

Hello to what a wit, slowlyfading and sallygirl, all your contributions are gratefully recieved. I can't tell you how supportive it is when folk post on this thread.

Just made shortbread biscuits topped with galaxy chocolate for Mr W's lunches. He is very happy with these, the iced buns and the jam roly poly's I made last week when I got a bit panicked that he might fall of the wagon!:o

Love Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport