PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

weezl - if this is too personal i apologise ,what if anything have you done with the money you have saved

I wasn't sure you had done this because you "had" to or out of curiosity

ISOM thanks for the chutney recipe sounds yum i have made chilli and tomato relish,lemon and ginger marmalade ,pickled cucumbers and clery this week i am going to have a goat weezls red onion chutney and yours after i source cheap ingredients

i also need jam but was hoping to use fruit from garden but bit early yet ..........frozen strawberries,summer fruits and smartprice apple it is then

spent the day tidying/swapping kitchen cupboards round got loads more room for cans etc this way ..................not sure this is a good thing

Enjoy your day

Shaz
    Shaz
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [quote=weezl74;110110

If I make my barmy challenge, shall we all have a party? Webcam/skype conference call type?!

Weezl x[/quote]

Ummm.....cor...Webcam...skype...that sounds a bit far into the 21st century for me to comprehend;) . Cor....I've only recently even got a computer:D I wouldnt know where to start on that sort of stuff:rotfl: :rotfl:

Think its (virtual) drinks all round in my case if you make it weezl!

...and, of course, we will expect a continuation of your input either way.....<<ducks before Weezl throws summat at me>>
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    funkyfunkymonkey Posts: 2,727 Forumite
    Options
    How about loo roll sandwiches (no not to eat!!!)

So, 3 squares of newspaper with a top layer of loo roll? For his important little places (was that an Andrex add once? :confused: )

I wouldn't want news print on my butt either, so I can understand Mr Weezl's concerns.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

Aren't Tesco points worth a penny per pound spent (unless you get tripple points on something), so I guess that means unless Asda is only 1% cheaper than Tesco, you're better off going to dreaded Asda I'm afraid!
    Weezl x
    Tesco points are paid at a penny per £1 spent, but there are lots of extra spend vouchers - so that despite spending £200ish a month in Tesco (so 600 points over a quarter) I have accrued 3000 points this quarter and not spent anything I wouldn't normally buy... and some people collect many more.

Additionally, Tesco 'deals' (anything from magasine subscriptions to holidays, days out to RAC membership....) are worth 4 times as much as the face value - so my 3000 points are worth £120 - and this is how I paid for holiday this year! My £350 holiday vouchers cost me £87.50 in Tesco points. The 3 of us are going to France for a week , and we wouldn't be otherwise.:T

At a bare minimum, if spent on deals, Tesco points are worth 4%, and for me (this quarter at least) they were worth 20% back on my grocery spend. I don't work for them or anything and I know this is a bit off topic - but you did ask!
  • getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    Hi everyone

weezl - if this is too personal i apologise ,what if anything have you done with the money you have saved

I wasn't sure you had done this because you "had" to or out of curiosity

Shaz
    I wanted to ask you this too Weezl - so thanks Shaz for doing it diplomatically! I can see your competitive and slightly obsessive nature (meant as a compliment of course!) is a part of it, but I think that you don't "have" to, so I am curious too. (Ignore question if you'd rather.)

This thread has been soooo interesting so far! Thanks everyone.
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    hehehe will let weezl report on afternoons exploits cos I know she will laugh to the point of tears as she types away & wouldnt want to spoil her (free) & on me fun!!
    Found this and will make nettle & pasta or tea & will report back later!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=871967&page=2
    Go on then weezle...sock it to em!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    well, I don't know how you know about my afternoon ISOM, but I shall tell....;)

At one o'clock today I embarked on an adventure. A new friend off the internet, (a forum I attend every now and then, just, you know, occasionally...) had suggested some harvesting of elderflowers for the making of a cordial. 'there's loads on the A48!', quoth she!:D

Never one to resist free food, I grabbed my secateurs, gloves and carrier bags and waited for my lift.:cool:

We sped along past lots of vaguely white looking weeds on spindly green stems with no leaves all about 2 foot high at the side of the road, they had umbrelliform white flowers, to be sure, but did not fit my mental description of the elderflower.:o

'And there they are!' Again merrily quoth she:D

'Erm, are you sure?' I bleated:eek:

We plucked one, smelt it. Smelt like a weed. Tasted it. Pleuergh. Tasted like a weed. We rang Mr Weezl:

'Can you google elderflowers as an image search and say what you see?'

Mr Weezl sends image over the phone.

Our weed is not really like the picture.

We giggle rather a lot, and I nearly fall in a stream holding mobile phone and barking at Mr. Weezl, 'But what shape are the leaves!!'

My internet friend has an idea. We will drive to a nearby garden centre and look up elderflowers, and ask a member of staff if we are in the right neck of the woods for harvesting.:confused:

We did so. No luck, but an amused member of staff thinks I munched on some Hawthorne.:o

Discouraged we headed allotment (hers) wards for adventure phase 2. Nettle harvesting. She stops to deliver a cake to a man from allotments. (She is very generous with her cake;)) Tells him of our quest.

He lets us know there is an elderflower source on the very allotment plot. But that we are a few weeks early. He is quite amused by this.:rotfl: He has not just driven a 20 mile round trip tho.;)

A less adventurous rest of afternoon passed peacefully, although I am not as agile as a mountain goat, and internet friend laughed at me for not being able to easily harvest nettle tips from the top of a 4 ft mound of precarious top soil. Ahem.:o

We shared a warm drink and delicious ginger cake.

Good times.:T

What a nice internet friend. I think her username is something like 'in search of weeds' ? or something....?

All love, Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    nettlepasta.jpg

heheh!! Its true...all of it! Said friend is now sitting with slightly acky thumbs because she realised too late that weezl has gone home with her bag which has the gloves in it for cleaning nettles! I managed to resort to gloves used for hair dye but let me tell you...theyre hopeless! Resorted to using scissors as tweezers and have just made a yummy pasta dish which I will attempt to load up a photo of!
    Recipe is (something) like this!
    In a separate pan boil some pasta.
    With a pair of thick gloves cut the leaves off about a small pan full of nettles - same quantity you would use for spinach and wash off any nasties well. Discard any ikky looking leaves. Put about two cups of water in a pan & boil it and then add the nettles and squish down with a spoon while it cooks stirring gently. Then add two tablespoons of mushrooms (I used dried porchini ones) and simmer with nettles. After its all nice & soft there should till be some liquid in but not too much. Add some milk (I used about a cup) and heat. When hot enough add some fresh black peper, pinch of salt & a stock cube and mix. Then add cornflour or flour to make a thickish sauce. I then added some bits of cheese for extra flavor (mature goats cheese for me - about a tablespoon chopped up). Drain the pasta and wash through. Leave in a sieve to drain & rinse the gunk off the pan & put back on the heat. Add a blob of butter and melt before adding sunflower seeds (2 tablespoons) and gently browning them. Then add the pasta and stir in, getting rid of the water & mixing in with the sunflower seeds. Then add the pasta to the sauce, mix in, plate up & eat! Much to my surprise it really is delicious!! Can you price it up mrs weezl? Makes two portions. Will now try & do a piccie! Back in a bit!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ummm......can I come round for dinner ISOM....it might take me a while...hope you like cold food?

Its only joking...but that sounded rather promising to me that recipe...note to self time.:D

Hmmm.....occupation "one no-one wants" under your profile - now you've got me intrigued. Swop you an occupation "one no-one wants" for one that "bores the !!! of everyone doing it" - LOL
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    yay suces at last uploading an image!! Yipee! Been trying to do that for years!! Thanks C! It really was surprisingly nice & with the exception of thumbs and weezl stealing my gloves (but I have her secateurs!!) it was worth it! If not to see weezl squealing like a stuck pig as she tried to get off the top of the mound that is my topsoil!! I dont know - some people are such girlies arent they eh!!
    My job defianetly could NEVER be described as boring!! Will pm you what I am & you can judge for yourself!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure