PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Didnt fancy using sugar so dried orange peel (and presumably lemon peel as well):

http://www.wikihow.com/Prepare-Fresh-Citrus-Fruit-Peel

for the how-to-make.

To use - either crumble it or whirl in a blender. Can be used in place of extract in baking, in toppings, in spice mixes and to flavour sauces.

Right - my porridge then I guess.
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    I've spotted you're not keen on sugar, is that a health thing? Sorry if you've posted the answer elsewhere!

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep - in a word. I dont want to use sugar if I can help it - mainly for health reasons. Vague memories of the book "Pure White and Deadly" (cant remember the author). Also the fact that it contains a huge number of calories. Personally - if I'm consuming calories I would like for them to nourish me (the vitamins, minerals, etc bit) - rather than giving me absolutely zilch goodness (as in sugar). As I vaguely recall from that book - sugar contributes towards all sorts of health problems.

I'm not perfect on this front - I do like the odd chocolate bar or pudding (if out for a meal) - but I do keep my sugar consumption to an absolute minimum.
  • ceridwen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Old Dowerhouse Chutney

(makes 8lbs/3.6kg)

1 ½ lb/700g plums (preferably Victoria)
    8oz/225g red or green tomatoes
    8oz/225g onions
    1 ½ lb/700g cooking apples
    1lb/450g stoned raisins (not THAT kind of stoned!!)
    4oz/110g preserved ginger (or fresh grated if you haven’t any!)
    1/2oz/5g chillies
    1 pint/570ml malt vinegar
    1 1/2lbs/700g demerara sugar
    1 ½ tablespoon cooking salt
    1/2oz/5g whole chillies and same of garlic

v Wash fruit
    v Take plums, cut in half & chop into smallish pieces
    v Same with tomatoes and place both in the pan
    v Chop onion into smallish pieces (recipe says shred but this was too fine when I tried it!) & add to pan.
    v Shred apples (cored but skins on), garlic & chillies (I do mine in a food processer) & add to pan – don’t leave too long as apples go brown
    v Add the rest of the ingredients (salt, sugar & raisins) to the pan & bring to the boil & then simmer for 1 – 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. You do need to have this on a VERY low heat and do keep an eye out!

When cooked leave to cool and when you turn the gas off put the jars into the oven on low heat to sterilise. Fill with chutney, put a wax disk on top (waxy bit facing down) and put the lids on when warm. Jar lids will “pop” as they seal/cool but don’t worry if they do! Label when cold. Enjoy! This is especially yummy with ham and cheese!

Sorry but I dont now where this came from as a friend passed it on! Its lovely rich & brown & not too vinegary & for those of us who dont like currants/sultanas theyre disguised!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Well I just put my shopping into my supermarket & it tells me that if I'd goe to asda I culd have saved £7 which is staggering! Now if someone can tell me what the value (monetary) of tesco vouchers are I may be willing to change (although have to admit I dont like asda as a shop - not sure why as quite happy now in lidl & aldi!) & thats the last objection!!
    Hope people like the recipe. I get my veggies at the market which makes it cheaper. Would love to know how much it costs cos I flog it for £1.50 a jar & as you know mrs weezl my poor brain cant do maths & I always wondered how i was doing on pricing....would also be interested in the marmalade if you can price that too pretty please you supa duper intelligent weezl you!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    Patrick Holford agrees with you C! No nutritional value, bad for energy spikes & just for you in general. Bad news for people like me who love penny sweets!! Will see if I can hunt a quote for pepys...(scurries off!)
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Yep - in a word. I dont want to use sugar if I can help it - mainly for health reasons. Vague memories of the book "Pure White and Deadly" (cant remember the author). Also the fact that it contains a huge number of calories. Personally - if I'm consuming calories I would like for them to nourish me (the vitamins, minerals, etc bit) - rather than giving me absolutely zilch goodness (as in sugar). As I vaguely recall from that book - sugar contributes towards all sorts of health problems.

I'm not perfect on this front - I do like the odd chocolate bar or pudding (if out for a meal) - but I do keep my sugar consumption to an absolute minimum.

• In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    "carbs are the sugars & starches found in well, sugar - and in cereal grains, fruits, beans & vegetables. When you havent eaten any for a while your blood suger- the bodys main fuel- dips & you become hungry. The you eat a carbohydrate and your blood sugar levels rise. Thats good unless youre eating refined carbohydrates such as sugar. This causes your blood sugar levels to shoot up. Unable to use it all your body dumps the excess as fat. Your blood sugar levels then crash...so you are left hungry agan, lethargic and craving more food and stimulants such as coffee or cigarettes. Eventually a vicious cycle of cravings, exhaustion and accumulating fat can set in" (Holford & Joyce, The holford low GL diet cookbook)...he then goes on to explain that you can have some sweet stuff but its what and how often that counts and reassures you that you can beat the craving sweet stuff within a few days....

• weezl74
    Options
    Well I just put my shopping into my supermarket & it tells me that if I'd goe to asda I culd have saved £7 which is staggering! Now if someone can tell me what the value (monetary) of tesco vouchers are I may be willing to change (although have to admit I dont like asda as a shop - not sure why as quite happy now in lidl & aldi!) & thats the last objection!!
    Hope people like the recipe. I get my veggies at the market which makes it cheaper. Would love to know how much it costs cos I flog it for £1.50 a jar & as you know mrs weezl my poor brain cant do maths & I always wondered how i was doing on pricing....would also be interested in the marmalade if you can price that too pretty please you supa duper intelligent weezl you!!

oh, well, if you're going to butter me up so nicely ;). How many jars do you get out of it for your £1.50, is it 8 x 1lb Jars?

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • weezl74
    Options
    ISOM's chutney, the costings...

1 ½ lb/700g plums (preferably Victoria) £1.03
    8oz/225g red or green tomatoes 26p
    8oz/225g onions 16p
    1 ½ lb/700g cooking apples ( I got you eating apples cos they were loads cheaper, but you could add a touch more acidity with a splash more vinegar to compensate!) 42p
    1lb/450g stoned raisins (not THAT kind of stoned!!) 37p
    4oz/110g preserved ginger (or fresh grated if you haven’t any!) 25p
    1/2oz/5g chillies 5p
    1 pint/570ml malt vinegar 14p
    1 1/2lbs/700g demerara sugar 68p
    1 ½ tablespoon cooking salt 1p
    1/2oz/5g garlic 3p

Total: £3.40 or 43p a jar if you make 8 jars.

I reckon there are also some swaps you could do with no detriment to the end flavour which would save you a bit more:D

Costed at asda using mysupermarket.

Love Weezl x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport