£20k per year?

Options
Hi,

I keep reading you can save £20k in an ISA per year.

Does that mean for 24/25 I can put in another £20k into a cash ISA, in addition to the £20k I already have in there which was paid in during 23/24? 

Or is £20k the most you are allowed to keep in the ISA account? If so why do they use the ‘per year’ wording?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,131 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    £20k in 23/24
    another £20k in 24/25  etc

It's been £20k a year for some time so perhaps some government will up this limit at some point.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And it doesn't have to go into the same account. You can open a new one if you want.
  • rigby44
    rigby44 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 April at 2:48PM
    Options
    slinger2 said:
    And it doesn't have to go into the same account. You can open a new one if you want.
    Thanks.

So if I keep the same account the balance will look as follows:

23/24 - £20k
    24/25 (now) - £40k
    25/26 - £60k

And it’s all tax free?

If I’m able to keep putting it £20k per year? I have a 5% savings account with Chip! at the moment but I’ll have to pay tax on that at some point, so makes sense to keep as much in an ISA as I can?
  • Martico
    Martico Posts: 976 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    That's correct
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,538 Forumite
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    slinger2 said:
    Thanks.

23/24 - £20k
    24/25 (now) - £40k
    25/26 - £60k

And it’s all tax free?

If I’m able to keep putting it £20k per year? I have a 5% savings account with Chip! at the moment but I’ll have to pay tax on that at some point, so makes sense to keep as much in an ISA as I can?
    Assuming the ISA rate is high enough to be better than paying the tax.

If not you are avoiding paying tax but have a worse overall outcome.  Which seems to suit some people but isn't better financially.
  • rigby44
    rigby44 Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    slinger2 said:
    Thanks.

23/24 - £20k
    24/25 (now) - £40k
    25/26 - £60k

And it’s all tax free?

Assuming the ISA rate is high enough to be better than paying the tax.

If not you are avoiding paying tax but have a worse overall outcome.  Which seems to suit some people but isn't better financially.
    Both are 4.9% or thereabouts so loading up the ISA to the maximum will be more efficient
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,556 Forumite
    Options
    Brie said:
    £20k in 23/24

It's been £20k a year for some time so perhaps some government will up this limit at some point.
    I thought that they were looking at a cap on the limit (£100K) you could save in a ISA, & be tax free.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If you are looking to contribute the full amount for several years and do not need income consider a Stocks and Shares ISA.

You may get a good return on the share price and if you pick an investment that pays a decent dividend, reinvest that and the overall return gets even better.

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Brie said:
    £20k in 23/24

I thought that they were looking at a cap on the limit (£100K) you could save in a ISA, & be tax free.
    That's unsubstantiated speculation on what might happen with an incoming Labour government. Of course they could do it but for a whole host of reasons most believe it is extraordinarily unlikely
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,269 Forumite
    Options
    rigby44 said:
    Hi,

I keep reading you can save £20k in an ISA per year.

Does that mean for 24/25 I can put in another £20k into a cash ISA, in addition to the £20k I already have in there which was paid in during 23/24? 

Or is £20k the most you are allowed to keep in the ISA account? If so why do they use the ‘per year’ wording?
    You would probably benefit from reading through the forum. You should pick up some good tips about the Isa rules.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback