IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Missed IAS deadline because of email not showing up

Options
Hi,

I just read this topic and it's similar to my issue: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6113236/pps-and-drpl and think I need to read the template defence thread but could not see it. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be appreciated!

I have however included my specific problem below in case anybody wishes to advise (thank you). I have previously won various fights in private parking, a bus lane fine and CAZ so not afraid to get my hands dirty! I managed those without posting in forums but this one has me thinking what to do next...

I parked in a PPS car park, saw the signs saying I could use RingGo (including by the lift) so I left assuming I could pay within two hours using that method (it's free for two hours) because I did not have a lot of time to get onto a ferry. I got to the point of no return past passport checks etc, went to pay on RingGo and the car park was not on the RingGo map. I contacted RingGo (this had to be the next day due to business hours) and they told me they do not deal with that car park.

Upon return, I had a ticket on my car as expected. I foolishly appealed using the ticket details which I am kicking myself for (assuming it makes me liable as the driver now).

The first I heard back was from BW Legal via email initially and a letter a few days later with the fine plus £70 (£170 total). I told them I had not heard back from PPS. They replied and said that PPS apparently responded to my appeal via email but I did not receive anything (despite receiving confirmation from PPS that I had appealed in the first place). BW Legal attached the rejected appeal so I now have it.

I contacted IAS but they have told me that because it is over 21 days since PPS claim to have sent the rejection, IAS cannot do anything. I told them I have only just seen the appeal rejection but they've just fobbed me off. I am wondering where to go from here.

Thank you.

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I am wondering where to go from here
    Other than trying a complaint to the landowner, come back on this thread should you receive a Letter Of/Before Claim from the PPC's solicitors, or a County Court Claim via the Northampton CNBC.

The IAS was never going to help you, you've missed nothing. 
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • nickkkk
    nickkkk Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Umkomaas said:
    I am wondering where to go from here
    Other than trying a complaint to the landowner, come back on this thread should you receive a Letter Of/Before Claim from the PPC's solicitors, or a County Court Claim via the Northampton CNBC.

The IAS was never going to help you, you've missed nothing. 
    Thank you for the advice.
  • nopcns
    nopcns Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is all explained in great detail in the Newbies/FAQ thread. You should refer to that thread every time you have a question. It is not and never was a "fine". Please get that notion out of your head.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank goodness you DIDN'T try IAS.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nickkkk
    First Post
    Options
    nopcns said:
    It is all explained in great detail in the Newbies/FAQ thread. You should refer to that thread every time you have a question. It is not and never was a "fine". Please get that notion out of your head.
    I did read a lot before posting and do agree with you there. I've beaten these people before. It was just the slightly different circumstances that made me come on here. Thanks
  • nickkkk
    First Post
    Options
    Thank goodness you DIDN'T try IAS.
    Got to admin I thought they were just an alternative to POPLA (who I have successfully used before) but did find it weird that there was no POPLA ref on the rejection letter from PPS when I finally had the chance to see it.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    one key thing is that you shouldnt try and guess as to who could have been driving never use terms like I parked, He parked She parked, uncle aunt brother friend and so on
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback