Temporary Internet access?

Options
Hi all

My dad will be visiting the UK for 2-3 months soon, Hull to be precise, staying with my gran who fits not have Internet. He's going to need Internet for this time for his laptop but I'm struggling to find a solution, any ideas? We can't lumber my 99 year old gran with a 2 year contract.. 

Thank you so much in advance. 
Really should be doing some work...

Comments

• EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    assuming   your gran;s house is not in the wilds ,   a  'Mifi' type router with a  pay as you go / 1 month contract  sim card is the obvious answer  or  if he has a reasonably up to date and not  carrier locked phone the same sim in the phone and hotspotting the laptop to the phone 
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just get a SIM only with lots of data, like Smarty or Voxi and hotspot the laptop to it.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    4G dongle and PAYG SIM?

Is he getting a PAYG SIM/phone for his visit? Get sufficient data and hotspot from the phone.

This all assumes that there's decent mobile reception where he's using the laptop. 
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    smarty/ lebara unlimted data. turn on hotspot on the smartphone.
  • Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If your Gran has nice neighbours and they are close by, you might ask them to share their connection and contribute to their costs.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Billxx said:
    If your Gran has nice neighbours and they are close by, you might ask them to share their connection and contribute to their costs.
    “No chance” would by my response. Letting a stranger download who knows what over my connection? Hard pass. 
  • cherry76
    cherry76 Posts: 912 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Both of my neighbours let me share theirs. No harm in asking.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Options
    cherry76 said:
    Both of my neighbours let me share theirs. No harm in asking.
    They are too nice.
    I won't due to network security. 
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    Options
    There are monthly ISPs, Cuckoo being the most well known, but given you mention Hull, the fief of Kingston Communications (KCOM), they may not be an option so you may be limited to mobile data unless KCOM offer monthly contracts or there or one of the other providers that buy connectivity wholesale from KCOM fo (Pure / Connexion and Giganet that I know of) .
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 April at 7:04PM
    Options
    As long as the coverage is sufficient then getting a smarty data only SIM and tethering it to his mobile is probably the way to go. Some laptops have similar card slots.

Does your gran have a home phone? If she does it might be worth seeing what she pays for that as broadband might not be much more, especially if she has never switched provider.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback