Streaming service only but how can I record tv?

Options
applepad
applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I’m with Virgin Media at the mo but having problems with the internet.
So thinking of changing over to Sky, but SkyQ is too expensive, So can I have Sky streaming but buy a recording Device, Hard drive? To record programs- would I be able to set up series links like I can now?

Comments

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not sure there's a device where you can record Sky without getting a Sky box. However, there are plenty of Freeview boxes which allow you to record TV. I personally have a BT Youview box (bought off Amazon) which I would recommend. The recording function includes series links.

I guess it depends how much you care about channels you can only get on Sky (thinking Sky Sports and Movies).
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jbrassy said:
    I'm not sure there's a device where you can record Sky without getting a Sky box. However, there are plenty of Freeview boxes which allow you to record TV. I personally have a BT Youview box (bought off Amazon) which I would recommend. The recording function includes series links.

I guess it depends how much you care about channels you can only get on Sky (thinking Sky Sports and Movies).
    I will have a look on Amazon thank you. Do you just have Freeview? 
    I like a lot of programs which are on Alibi, you can’t get it on Freeview unfortunately.
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,341 Forumite
    Options
    you can't record Sky without a Sky box as it is encrypted

if you want to record TV then you should get a freesat recorder and plug it in where you would normally plug sky ie to your satellite dish and cancel your sky subscription
  • jbrassy
    Options
    applepad said:
    jbrassy said:

I will have a look on Amazon thank you. Do you just have Freeview? 
    I like a lot of programs which are on Alibi, you can’t get it on Freeview unfortunately.
    Yes - I just have Freeview. The Youview box also has apps for some streaming services which I subscribe to, e.g. BBC iPlayer, ITVX, Channel 4 On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. There is also an app for Now TV which lets you watch some Sky content if you subscribe to it. Unfortunately I'm not aware of if or how you can access Alibi through a streaming service.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alibi's pretty much unique to Sky and Sky Go (and the Virgin equivalents) but also appears on EE TV, which is technically streaming.

A very much paywalled channel unfortunately.
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recording any content from a live as shown channel requires a TV licence. The only way TVL know if you are recording live TV is if you tell them you do it or they catch you doing it, i.e. they gain access and see a device recording a program. 
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    applepad said:
    I’m with Virgin Media at the mo but having problems with the internet.
    So thinking of changing over to Sky, but SkyQ is too expensive, So can I have Sky streaming but buy a recording Device, Hard drive? To record programs- would I be able to set up series links like I can now?
    Perhaps I'm reading your question differently to others, but no, you can't record anything from a Sky Stream box (or Sky Glass). If you really need to record a Sky channel or Alibi for instance then you need Sky Q.
  • jbrassy
    Options
    wild666 said:
    Recording any content from a live as shown channel requires a TV licence. The only way TVL know if you are recording live TV is if you tell them you do it or they catch you doing it, i.e. they gain access and see a device recording a program. 
    Sorry - what has the TV licence got to do with this? The OP didn't mention the TV Licence. I assume he/she has one.
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't record it but Alibi is available to stream on Now TV

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    km1500 said:
    you can't record Sky without a Sky box as it is encrypted

I have never had SKY TV, but our TV has a "record what you watch" facility that forces whatever is being shown on screen to the hard disc recorder (including the accompanying audio).  Obviously, can't watch one thing and record another that way.  Our TV does have a timer feature for this.  Does the SKY streaming have timer features?

Is that technically possible from SKY TV?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback