Recommendations for Email Service Provider that can be used in my Web Browser

Options
Good Morning

My discussion title may not be correct because I don't know what the correct terminology is. 

I currently use BT Basic Email which I use on my Web Browser. As a lot of people will be aware BT apparently "Upgraded" their email system about a month ago which has actually turned out to be a major "Downgrade" for myself and many other BT email users. 

Since the upgrade there have been major issues using BT email which are still a problem all these weeks later. I have discussed some of them on the BT Community Forum but have been told I will have to wait for BT to fix these issues with no idea of when. 

The issues I personally am facing are - Constantly seeing nothing in my Inbox and Folders when I know there are emails there. Having to wait several minutes for my Inbox and Folders to load and then to be told "this is taking too long" or "there is an issue with the service". 

I have to keep opening up a new Web Browser page to load BT emails to be able to view them. I also have emails that I deleted months ago and moved to other folders appearing in my Inbox and other Folders. The latest issue since yesterday being all of March's emails that should be in my Inbox have disappeared. 

I am currently using Windows 10 with the Edge Browser. For info it is exactly the same on Google Chrome. I do have access to Mozilla Thunderbird and Outlook for my emails but as these load on a separate Browser window I have to keep jumping back and forth from one to the other. 

I am looking for an Email Service Provider that I can use as a tab on the same Browser that I am writing this post on. 

Hope all this makes sense. 

Regards

Molly4 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 9:51AM
    Options
    Gmail would be an obvious one.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GMail or protonmail both work fine as a tab on a browser 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Options

As does Outlook (Hotmail), Yahoo Mail, GMX Mail & AOL Mail.  

There are others.
  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 10:40AM
    Options

There are others.
    As I already have Outlook I have now managed to get it to open up in a Browser Window. 

How do I get my BT emails to show up in Outlook? At present all I can see is a couple of emails that have been sent to my Outlook email address.  

Do I have set up "forwarding" from my BT Email Account to my Outlook Account? 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Molly4 said:

There are others.
    As I already have Outlook I have now managed to get it to open up in a Browser Window. 

How do I get my BT emails to show up in Outlook? At present all I can see is a couple of emails that have been sent to my Outlook email address.  

You've changed the requirements! Thought you just needed an email service in an adjacent tab, not an amalgamation with your BT mail.

You could just forward your BT mail to Outlook with a rule(?) but a better way to do it is to add access to your BT service directly to Outlook.

Some instruction here

https://corbettsoftware.com/blog/bt-internet-to-outlook/
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Molly4 said:

There are others.

You get email providers and email clients. The former is a server that actually sends/receives your email and the later is the way you get to see your emails. 

In some cases the two can be the same, so like Gmail and your current BT arrangement, you go to their own client and access them as a provider. Most who have an all in one service dont allow their client to be used for other email providers. So yes, if you want to use Gmail to view received emails from BT you'd need to forward them. This will cause you problems as you won't be able to send from BT using Gmail so really you need to migrate everything over to Gmail and just use the forwarding to catch anything you've missed. 

You can get standalone clients, mainly in the form of applications like Mail, Outlook (unhelpfully named by Microsoft), Thunderbird, Mailbird etc. These dont provide email servers themselves but connect to any number of other mail servers enabling you to send/receive from them. As an Apple user I use Mail with two profiles, the first connects to my personal email address, my businesses email and a Gmail that I use rarely; the second profile connects to my current client and two consultancies I do occasional bits for (the two profiles means I dont have to look at work emails at the weekend). 

I have seen previous webmail standalone clients which in theory you could use but at last look they were terribly dated and not great operationally. If you want to stick to a web client then I'd go with moving everything to Gmail or Outlook web. If you are wanting to retain send capability from BT then look at an application like Thunderbird
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    edited 28 March at 11:08AM
    Options
    Molly4 said:

There are others.

You get email providers and email clients. The former is a server that actually sends/receives your email and the later is the way you get to see your emails. 

In some cases the two can be the same, so like Gmail and your current BT arrangement, you go to their own client and access them as a provider. Most who have an all in one service dont allow their client to be used for other email providers. So yes, if you want to use Gmail to view received emails from BT you'd need to forward them. This will cause you problems as you won't be able to send from BT using Gmail so really you need to migrate everything over to Gmail and just use the forwarding to catch anything you've missed. 

You can get standalone clients, mainly in the form of applications like Mail, Outlook (unhelpfully named by Microsoft), Thunderbird, Mailbird etc. These dont provide email servers themselves but connect to any number of other mail servers enabling you to send/receive from them. As an Apple user I use Mail with two profiles, the first connects to my personal email address, my businesses email and a Gmail that I use rarely; the second profile connects to my current client and two consultancies I do occasional bits for (the two profiles means I dont have to look at work emails at the weekend). 

I have seen previous webmail standalone clients which in theory you could use but at last look they were terribly dated and not great operationally. If you want to stick to a web client then I'd go with moving everything to Gmail or Outlook web. If you are wanting to retain send capability from BT then look at an application like Thunderbird
    I use a personal (I've my own domain) email address in Gmail as well as the associated Gmail address itself, both pop into my inbox no problem and I can send from my domain addresses too. 

Integrating your BT address into gmail should be possible 
    https://support.google.com/mail/thread/153818873/i-have-included-my-bt-account-in-my-gmail-account-and-it-happily-delivers-my-mail-to-my-inbox?hl=en

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Molly4 said:

There are others.

I use a personal (I've my own domain) email address in Gmail as well as the associated Gmail address itself, both pop into my inbox no problem and I can send from my domain addresses too. 

Integrating your BT address into gmail should be possible 
    https://support.google.com/mail/thread/153818873/i-have-included-my-bt-account-in-my-gmail-account-and-it-happily-delivers-my-mail-to-my-inbox?hl=en

Domain is separate matter to email provider... I similarly use iCloud for one of my domains but that domain points MX requests to the iCloud server. For the rest my web host handles the MX requests with their mail servers. 

As to Gmail and BT integration, that again only talks about receiving emails from a third party account not then being able to send from that account. With some companies you must send emails from your registered address and so a receive only solution doesn't work. 
  • Molly4
    Molly4 Posts: 1,272 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @DullGreyGuy Thank you. 

I am a bit confused by all of this and don't fully understand about Email Clients and Email Servers. I have had Outlook for quite a few years but haven't used it much. 

Recently the original Outlook has changed to new Outlook and I appear to have both on my computer. On the "old" Outlook I can only see emails with my Outlook email address. On the "new" Outlook my BT emails appear but I am unable to get the "new" Outlook to load on my Browser. It is currently pinned to my taskbar so I have to click out of the browser and onto the Outlook in the taskbar to do anything with email. I also can't seem to access my emails with my Outlook email address in new Outlook. I've tried adding the "old" Outlook as an account on "new" Outlook but it won't add for some reason. 

I currently have several old email accounts added to Mozilla Thunderbird which is great. But again I have to switch back and forth from my Browser to Thunderbird which again is pinned to my taskbar and is not a browser window. 

Before BT upgraded it's email system everything was fine. Each thing I did like open an email, delete an email, move an email to another folder was instant but now it takes several minutes just to do one simple thing on email. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Just a thought, have you tried having several windows (browser, T'bird, Outlook) open on your screen simultaneously? Perhaps overlapping or tiled? Swapping between applications quickly is pretty much why Windows was invented.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback