NST March 2024: The Magic Roundabout

Options

NST March 2024: The Magic Roundabout

The Magic Roundabout takes me back to my childhood and also gives me happy memories from my uni days. Here’s a link to an early programme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DcChXNyYQ

Its colourful characters include Dougal the dog, Brian the snail, Dylan the rabbit, Ermintrude the cow, Florence, a polite little girl, and Zebedee, a talking jack-in-a-box, who ends every episode by announcing 'Time for Bed'. It was originally French,  Zebedee (Zébulon), Brian (Ambroise), Ermintrude (Azalée), Dougal (Pollux) and Dylan (Flappy). You can choose your character for the month!

Florence is a well-mannered, inquisitive and kind-hearted young girl who always spends her time meeting with her friends, especially Dougal, at the Magic Roundabout or in the gardens.

(This is most definitely not a challenge about the other one - The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, which is a ring junction constructed in 1972 consisting of five mini-roundabouts arranged in a circle. That would just be too confusing! Turtles don’t like going around and around in circles plus they don’t drive.)

Just in case the above is not your thing: March. The month of daffodils and the arrival of Spring. The equinox and altering the clocks. Preparation for Easter. St David’s and St Patrick’s days. Pi day. Spring cleaning. Well, maybe not that last one…

Turtle power: the Ninja Saving Turtles are a group set up when NinjaSavingKat stopped her challenges because she had reached her goals and was off travelling. We have monthly holistic challenges and everyone is welcome to join us on this month’s magic roundabout.
Hiphop, reggae, rock, pop, punk, classical…Whatever your taste in music, play some songs you love every day and sing along.
Emergency fund – this is usually referred to in a financial context. This month, extend the concept to ‘what would I do if…’ scenarios. If I was carless; if I was hospitalised; if I was burgled; if I had rats…

Me, myself and I. Be your own best friend and look after yourself. Do three things every day that make you happy. Speak to yourself positively and kindly. Stop when you need to and chew a flower like Ermintrude. Channel Zebedee’s words, and go to bed at a good time to ensure you get enough sleep.
Avoid those things that drain you –  financially, emotionally, mentally, physically. Impulse shopping; always running around after other people; negative relationships…
Gratitudes – check in every day and share three things that you are grateful for.
Inquisitiveness – be more Florence. Keep learning.
Commit to simplifying your life, bit by bit. You may feel you are slow like Brian, but it all counts.

Remember those who are worse off than you – donate to the foodbank/shelter/charity
Offload your excess baggage – stuff, emotions, people (!) If it makes you sigh or drains you of your energy, then it doesn’t belong in your life.
Use it up, wear it out, make do and mend or do without. Use what you have before replenishing eg toiletries, cleaning products, crafting items, books. Use up your freezer and cupboard stocks and stash. Not going to use it? Then give it away. Plan your meals. Take your lunch to work every single day you are there.
NSD count = 16 please (not lost if you need medication, travel, regular activities that need paying weekly or if you only buy reduced items)
Decisiveness. Make a decision this month that will make future you very happy.
Active lifestyle – be it archery, zorbing or anything in between, your body loves to move. Plan it into your schedule so that you don’t forget to do it! You can be a bouncing Zebedee or a zooming Dougal. And take time to be like Dylan too, and sit back and relax.
Budget – Frugality brings joy. Look at your budget and select one area to reduce this month.
Opportunities are all around. Are you unhappy in an area of your life? Then look to change it.
Understand your finances: what’s coming in and going out; what you owe and any repayment schedules; have a budget for the month. Be honest. What is your pension plan looking like?
The magic roundabout needed maintenance so have a good look around your house. What needs doing? Anything you should prioritise? Anything to make your surroundings work better for you?

We’re riding the magic roundabout for the whole month of March. Who will join me?

NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!

Comments

• grandmanerd
    grandmanerd Posts: 947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes please apple
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts