Not been abroad for 20 years

Options
SUPERGIRL2020
SUPERGIRL2020 Posts: 281 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
edited 26 February at 4:58PM in Flights, currency & car hire
My cousin has kindly offered to pay for me to go to Spain (hotel only) Ive not been abroad for 20 years I ain't a clue what to do. 

I'm looking for advice on getting cheap flights and should I change my money or use my debit card for purchases in Spain?

Ive done some googling but it's confusing going abroad compared to when I last went for example a lot of people take a overhead cabin suitcase last time I went I checked my suitcase in and picked it up on that belt thing but cabin luggage seems to be common nowadays also Ive read about all the restrictions on liquids it all seems very strict flying these days compared to 20 years ago.   

Any tips greatly appreciated  

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To get cheap flights I tend to book long in advance.  Heathrow is my closes airport so I tend to use that, rather than spending a lot of money on train fares to get to Stansted or Gatwick.
    For spending money I tend to withdraw some cash from an ATM abroad (using Kroo card) but use credit card (Halifax Clarity) for purchases wherever possible.
    Where possible I take all my clothes in a backpack, which fits under the seat in front of me on the plane.  At airport security I need to take out tablet computer and plastic bag with my tube of toothpaste...but otherwise travelling with just a backpack is very easy.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Flights - these are probably easier to find than 20 years ago, given that there are comparison sites available such as Skyscanner or Google Flights.

Flight prices - shop around, but midweek will usually be cheaper than weekends, school holidays, etc.  Typically best to book directly with the airline, rather than through cheap'n'cheerful online agents, or use package providers such as TUI, Jet2, etc, if booking flight and hotel together.

Luggage - during those 20 years, the cost of checking in luggage has been separated out from the flight cost, so you now have to pay to check a bag in with many airlines, especially the cheaper ones.  Even cabin ones (overhead locker sized) are often charged, so study your airline's policy and decide what's best for you.

Liquids - anything bigger than 100ml has to go in checked in luggage.

Money - cards with no non-sterling fees are generally best, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    To get cheap flights I tend to book long in advance.  Heathrow is my closes airport so I tend to use that, rather than spending a lot of money on train fares to get to Stansted or Gatwick.
    For spending money I tend to withdraw some cash from an ATM abroad (using Kroo card) but use credit card (Halifax Clarity) for purchases wherever possible.
    Where possible I take all my clothes in a backpack, which fits under the seat in front of me on the plane.  At airport security I need to take out tablet computer and plastic bag with my tube of toothpaste...but otherwise travelling with just a backpack is very easy.

I'll be flying from Leeds or Manchester as those are my nearest airports. Ive bought a cheap cabin suitcase. I was thinking of taking some cash out at the cash machine here first and exchanging it for euros and taking my debit card with me. I'm really nervous lol   
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    edited 26 February at 5:10PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Flights - these are probably easier to find than 20 years ago, given that there are comparison sites available such as Skyscanner or Google Flights.

Flight prices - shop around, but midweek will usually be cheaper than weekends, school holidays, etc.  Typically best to book directly with the airline, rather than through cheap'n'cheerful online agents, or use package providers such as TUI, Jet2, etc, if booking flight and hotel together.

Luggage - during those 20 years, the cost of checking in luggage has been separated out from the flight cost, so you now have to pay to check a bag in with many airlines, especially the cheaper ones.  Even cabin ones (overhead locker sized) are often charged, so study your airline's policy and decide what's best for you.

Liquids - anything bigger than 100ml has to go in checked in luggage.

Money - cards with no non-sterling fees are generally best, see https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money/
    Last time I went it was a club18-30 package holiday lol it included flights. Thanks for the advice I will look at that page
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There's a good chance that one of the budget carriers such as Ryanair will fly to the nearest airport in Spain. If you're only going for a week in the summer then 10kg in a cabin bag within the specified dimensions should be more than adequate. Note carefully the limitations on liquids, creams, gels, toothpaste which will need to go through airport security in a clear plastic bag that can be supplied at the airport but much better done at home beforehand, a 20cm x 20cm freezer bag is the max size. Many items can be bought in 100ml. Sun cream much cheaper in the UK. You can also take a small bag on board too. Read what the airline says. They are usually very clear. You cannot take any dairy or meat into Spain from the UK.

If you have a passport currently, ignore the expiry date, instead check that it is no more than nine and a half years since the issue date when you will be travelling. You will queue to have your passport stamped to enter Spain and it will be stamped out again. If you've not been abroad for 20 years you do not need to worry about the 90 days in a rolling 180. You cannot stay longer than 90 days should your cousin be that generous! I am assuming you do not have an EU / EEA country passport in all this. 

Credit or debit cards are widely accepted in Spain. Ideally you'll have one that is fee free but if not there's a small mark up. Always pay in Euro (EUR), do not accept any offer to convert to GBP when paying by card, the conversion rate at that point is far worse than your bank will charge. Depending how long you are there for will determine the amount of cash you might want as a back-up. It is relatively straightforward to use your debit card in an ATM in Spain to withdraw a small amount. 

Many tourist areas in Spain have menus in English these days. Check the roaming package on your mobile phone. If in doubt just use hotel and restaurant wifi.

Enjoy!! 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mark_d said:

I'll be flying from Leeds or Manchester as those are my nearest airports. Ive bought a cheap cabin suitcase. I was thinking of taking some cash out at the cash machine here first and exchanging it for euros and taking my debit card with me. I'm really nervous lol   

I think you'd get a better exchange rate if you withdraw your money abroad.  I'd suggest using a bank's ATM as they tend not to charge any fees.
    Hopefully your debit card won't charge for doing the currency conversion.  Assuming this is the case then remember to pay in Euros and let your bank do the conversion to GBP.
  • SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    mebu60 said:
    There's a good chance that one of the budget carriers such as Ryanair will fly to the nearest airport in Spain. If you're only going for a week in the summer then 10kg in a cabin bag within the specified dimensions should be more than adequate. Note carefully the limitations on liquids, creams, gels, toothpaste which will need to go through airport security in a clear plastic bag that can be supplied at the airport but much better done at home beforehand, a 20cm x 20cm freezer bag is the max size. Many items can be bought in 100ml. Sun cream much cheaper in the UK. You can also take a small bag on board too. Read what the airline says. They are usually very clear. You cannot take any dairy or meat into Spain from the UK.

If you have a passport currently, ignore the expiry date, instead check that it is no more than nine and a half years since the issue date when you will be travelling. You will queue to have your passport stamped to enter Spain and it will be stamped out again. If you've not been abroad for 20 years you do not need to worry about the 90 days in a rolling 180. You cannot stay longer than 90 days should your cousin be that generous! I am assuming you do not have an EU / EEA country passport in all this. 

Credit or debit cards are widely accepted in Spain. Ideally you'll have one that is fee free but if not there's a small mark up. Always pay in Euro (EUR), do not accept any offer to convert to GBP when paying by card, the conversion rate at that point is far worse than your bank will charge. Depending how long you are there for will determine the amount of cash you might want as a back-up. It is relatively straightforward to use your debit card in an ATM in Spain to withdraw a small amount. 

Many tourist areas in Spain have menus in English these days. Check the roaming package on your mobile phone. If in doubt just use hotel and restaurant wifi.

Enjoy!! 
    Some good advice thanks. 

My cousin is only paying for a 1 week holiday she got it through one of those sun paper offers lol 

Ive just had the rigmarole of applying for a new passport which wasn't as easy as 20 years ago either. The passport office have been very very picky about my photo 
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 26 February at 6:17PM
    Options
    Main changes since 20 years ago:
    Baggage rules are very airline dependant but essentially there's 3 classes of baggage, a small "underseat" bag, eg a small rucksack; an overhead bag eg a trolley bag; and a checked bag eg a suitcase. Here's an example from Ryanair but the exact dimensions vary by airline
    The basic fares on some airlines will only include a small bag, on some a trolley bag but most don't include a checked bag for short haul, you pay extra. Be aware that all airlines can take the trolley bag off you at the gate and put it in the hold if they think the overhead bins will get full, so don't rely on having it with you in the plane.
    Liquids rules you can google but basically all liquids have to be 100ml or less and in containers of 100ml or less (eg you can't have 100ml of something in a 200ml container) and all be in a 20x20cm see through bag which you have to separate out when going through security. Manchester is very strict with liquids and class stuff like solid deodorants as liquids.
    Seat selection is usually a chargeable extra. Checkin is now usually online, useful if you don't have any checked bags then you can go straight to security at the airport, you don't need to queue to check in. Download the airline's app, and you can check in and download boarding passes on that. If you get a pdf boarding pass you can't use that on your phone, you must print it.
    When using public transport in Europe be aware that you often need to validate your ticket before using it - eg stamp it or scan it on entry in a tram or a machine on the platform. Look into this, it so often catches British people out.

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mark_d said:
    Mark_d said:

I think you'd get a better exchange rate if you withdraw your money abroad.  I'd suggest using a bank's ATM as they tend not to charge any fees.
    Hopefully your debit card won't charge for doing the currency conversion.  Assuming this is the case then remember to pay in Euros and let your bank do the conversion to GBP.
    On the contrary most ATMs in Spain will charge a commission for currency withdrawals even if a "user friendly" UK debit card, such as Chase, Starling, Metro Bank or First Direct etc. is used - the only exceptions that I'm aware of are Banca Marche and Deutsche Bank.
    Fully branded Banco Santander ATMs at their branches are good only if you have a UK Santander debit card.

• SUPERGIRL2020
    Options
    zagfles said:
    Main changes since 20 years ago:
    Baggage rules are very airline dependant but essentially there's 3 classes of baggage, a small "underseat" bag, eg a small rucksack; an overhead bag eg a trolley bag; and a checked bag eg a suitcase. Here's an example from Ryanair but the exact dimensions vary by airline
    The basic fares on some airlines will only include a small bag, on some a trolley bag but most don't include a checked bag for short haul, you pay extra. Be aware that all airlines can take the trolley bag off you at the gate and put it in the hold if they think the overhead bins will get full, so don't rely on having it with you in the plane.
    Liquids rules you can google but basically all liquids have to be 100ml or less and in containers of 100ml or less (eg you can't have 100ml of something in a 200ml container) and all be in a 20x20cm see through bag which you have to separate out when going through security. Manchester is very strict with liquids and class stuff like solid deodorants as liquids.
    Seat selection is usually a chargeable extra. Checkin is now usually online, useful if you don't have any checked bags then you can go straight to security at the airport, you don't need to queue to check in. Download the airline's app, and you can check in and download boarding passes on that. If you get a pdf boarding pass you can't use that on your phone, you must print it.
    When using public transport in Europe be aware that you often need to validate your ticket before using it - eg stamp it or scan it on entry in a tram or a machine on the platform. Look into this, it so often catches British people out.

Wow a lot has changed since 20 years ago! Thanks so much for your advice it really is helping me 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback