PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agents mislead us

Options
tallsmithy
tallsmithy Posts: 30 Forumite
edited 12 October 2017 at 10:34AM in House buying, renting & selling
I'm a FTB with my OH and we are about to exchange on a house. The experience has been a very stressful one as the estate agents (Purplebricks) and to some extend also the seller, have misled us by stating on the listing that the property was CHAIN FREE, when in fact it isn't.

We found out about 5 weeks into the process, when we suddenly get immense pressure from the seller/Purplebricks to get an exchange date ASAP or the chain(??) will fall through! Luckily our solicitors have managed to get everything tied up in time to prevent this.

What I'd like to know is can we take action against Purplebricks for what essentially was false info in their advert? I've read an article on hoa.org.uk which clearly states estate agents:

Not leave out important information that potential buyers need to make informed decisions. They must give all the necessary information so a buyer can make an informed choice when it comes to making an offer or instructing conveyancers or surveyors

and also:

Not put undue pressure on any party to act quickly – to put in an offer, raise their price, skip the survey or exchange contracts

Don't know if its worth pursuing with the Property Ombudsman, but if compensation is achievable I'm well up for it!!!

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    no, obviously not.

Clearly being in a chain wouldn't have put you off, as you didn't pull out, but instead decided to continue.

Get the pound signs out your head, you're not due anything.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agents can only go by what their clients tell them.

If the client originally told purlebricks the sale wwas chain-free, that's how PB would advertise. Not their fault if the seller either lied, or later changed their mind.
  • tallsmithy
    Options
    Bit rude!

Yes, we did decide to continue, as at that point we've already incurred costs!
    The point I'm trying to make is we have been treated very unfairly in this situation, blaming us for holding everything up when in fact THEY were at fault for not being honest.

The EA has also flouted the law here and I'm within my rights to take action against them!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tallsmithy wrote: »
    The EA has also flouted the law here

But they probably haven't.

Honestly, just move on and chalk it up to experience.
  • tallsmithy
    Options
    They have... there are regulations brought in 2013 that state the rules by which EA have to abide. If these are breached then a complaint can be raised.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're refusing to consider the fact that they were told it was chain free.

Why is that?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tallsmithy wrote: »
    Bit rude!

Yes, we did decide to continue, as at that point we've already incurred costs!
    The point I'm trying to make is we have been treated very unfairly in this situation, blaming us for holding everything up when in fact THEY were at fault for not being honest.

The EA has also flouted the law here and I'm within my rights to take action against them!

So what? they were rude, get over it.

You are owed nothing. You will not win a case. You may as well take £500 and burn it.

Just because it's not what you wanted to hear, suddenly it's rude, and 'I know my rights', well if you did you wouldn't be posting here.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Op- you opened with the fact you are a FTB, everyone else helping you will have bought and sold multiple times, in chains and out of them, just because the answer isn't what you want to hear doesn't make them rude, just factually correct and to the point.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Why is that?
    Compensayshun . . .
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Loads of places are advertised as chain free when that’s not really the case, you need to take it with a pinch of salt. A lot to f the time sellers start out thinking that they’ll move into rented or in with family but then realise what a pain that is and change their mind. It’s not a big deal, most sales are in a chain and people still manage to move house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure