PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - Hw long before seller solicitor send initial draft of contract

Options
First Time Buyer here...

How long does it usually take for seller's solicitor to send the draft contract to the buyer solicitor - after the offer has been accepted?

In my case, offer was accepted >2 weeks ago and I provided with solicitor details and mortgage DIP details on same day.

My solicitor is still waiting for the draft contract pack - Is this normal?

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Has the vendor found a property?

If not, they may not incur costs until they have and there is a fully-formed chain.

Nor should you.

If they have the vendor has to provide certain information to their solicitor before a draft contract can be prepared, so there is no answer to your question other than 'that depends.'
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • jackjassiek
    Options
    The previous house I offered. The owner took 6 weeks after offer accepted to send the first initial draft letter to us.
    (Then the seller decided not to move out - she changed her mind. She would stay in her house until her new built property finishes. She asked us to wait for a year. So, we walked away)

For the current house I offered. It is a probate house. The owner took 9 weeks until now after offer accepted. I am still waiting! The seller's solicitor said they would send it within this week. Let's see if it is true.:(
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

In my case, offer was accepted >2 weeks ago and I provided with solicitor details and mortgage DIP details on same day.

Have you received your mortgage offer yet?
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    Has the vendor found a property?
    The property was advertised on rightmove as NO ONWARD CHAIN. When viewing, estate agent told me that the vendor has found a property where they will be moving to. As per estate agent, vendor does not need money from this transaction to fund their next transaction.
    Have you received your mortgage offer yet?
    Not yet. My mortgage broker told me that valuation survey has come at same price as agreed transaction price.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Not yet. My mortgage broker told me that valuation survey has come at same price as agreed transaction price.

Then the vendor may well still be waiting until proceeding further. They won't be interested in hearsay only fact.
  • shell88
    shell88 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    We waited just over 4 weeks until sellers drafts contract was sent and there is no chain on either side, Frustrating to say the least..!!
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

Any advise please as to at what point will it be appropriate to chase estate agent or my solicitor for an update on the draft contract pack from the seller's solicitor?

As mentioned, valuation survey already with lender at the agreed transaction price.
    I am expecting HomeBuyer report tomorrow.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any advise please as to at what point will it be appropriate to chase estate agent or my solicitor for an update on the draft contract pack from the seller's solicitor?

Now!

It would not be particularly unusual for the vendor's solicitor to have sent a load of paperwork to the vendor, including fixtures and fittings form and property information form, and then the vendor to have done nothing about filling them in and returning to the solicitor.

The vendor's solicitor properly has 115 other cases they are working on and does not have time to chase up their client in this particular instance.

Call the EA this afternoon and get them to make some calls to find out what is going on. Get them to earn their fee!!
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Also, as a general rule, chase via the EA rather than your solicitor to get things from the sellers - the EA is working for the vendor and getting a commission from the sale. Your solicitor is working for you, and may up their fees if they have to spend a ton of extra time on the case (just make sure to keep your solicitor updated with any replies).
  • harshitguptaiitr
    Options
    I posted this thread 3 days ago and my situation is still the same. No draft contract paperwork from the seller's solicitor

estate agent has replied me that they are:
    waiting for the vendors solicitors to come back

Does it usually take this much time?
    As a FTB, I have never seen what the draft contract paperwork will look like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure