Unable to send CHAPS payment for house purchase

Options
Hi everyone, first time post here but really need some advice, I'll try and give as much detail as possible.

I recently won £250k so decided to buy a house, everything's gone through and I need to send the money to my solicitor but the issue I have is my bank (lloyds) won't let me send a chaps payment without photo ID, This wouldn't of been an issue a week ago but as I passed my driving test last Friday I don't have any ID as I've had no use for a passport for the last few years, I do however have a photocopy that I had to send off to my solicitor.
If this wasn't enough stress lloyds have also blocked my online account for suspected fraud (as you can imagine they've done this a few times and I'm getting pretty annoyed about it, and yes, you've guessed it they also won't unblock my account without photo ID
Does anybody have any ideas on how I can send the money to my solicitor quickly without my photo ID?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 8:25AM
    Options
    Passport renewals are being processed very quickly these days; apply using the online form, send it off with your old one and it's likely to come back in about four days if there are no complications.

Or perhaps your driving licence will arrive first..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Transfer the money to a bank that will let you set up the CHAPS payment in online banking - to be honest I'm a bit surprised that Lloyds doesn't allow this but I don't bank with them so maybe it's something they have never included as an online offering.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Tony5768 wrote: »
    lloyds have also blocked my online account for suspected fraud (as you can imagine they've done this a few times .
    No I can't imagine why they would have done this a few times. Once perhaps if there was any question as to the origin of this 'win', but not a few times, no.
  • GibbsRule_No3
    Options
    You can get a same day passport if you have the correct documentation. Look on their website.
    Paddle No 21 :wave:
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How much do you need to send to your solicitor?

You are able to send 25k by faster payment, but if you need to send more then you will need to send via CHAPs where you have already found you need ID.

You can either wait for your Driving license to come back, or speak to Lloyds about alternative ID, Government issued document, Statement, or Utility bill, could be used as long as you have a signature stored on the system, as not all people will be able to drive, and have a need for a passport. There are exceptions to photo ID, but it does mean more documents to provide.

Good Luck
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How long has this purchase been going through? Even cash sales seem to take quite a few weeks with searches etc, how did you do the deposit? When do you need to exchange?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »

You are able to send 25k by faster payment
    Difficult to make faster payments if your online access has been blocked
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it in your current account?
    Got a cheque book?

Solicitor accept cheque?

How many days do they need for it to clear if they do?

And then sack Lloyds off, I understand there are procedures but as Westie stated they should have offered alternative ID as not everyone has a passport and drives.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 March 2017 at 1:21AM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Difficult to make faster payments if your online access has been blocked

Faster payments are not only done online, there are other ways, not as accessible and easy as online but alternative channels nether the less.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • dk5294
    dk5294 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds to me like Lloyds are concerned about something. I recently withdrew a large amount and closed a savings account using my birth certificate, utility bill and a bank statement from my current account provider. My drivers license and passport isn't in my maiden name but this account still was and they were rather wary about just using these items as I wasn't a regular at the bank or known to some of the older clerks (my uncle set the account up when I was little and I never knew about it until recently, but that's another story). They were honest and told me that it was a rather unusual story and due to the balance they'd like to ensure I was definitely who I said I was.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure