Where can I sell used kids designer clothes?

Options
Hi

I'm having a massive clear out and would like to sell used childrens clothes. I have tried EBay but you get peanuts and I would like to generate more money from these items than giving them away for 99p!

Any recommendations/ advise? Ideally it would be great to sell the lot in one go but where?

Thank you

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    Why not put them on eBay with a reserve price? Or facebook selling pages?
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Most people I see sell kids clothes in small bundles - I know that's how they tend to appear on Gumtree... but with the prices of them new in places like the supermarkets, I don't think they sell for much unless they're very specific makes really.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Hallas
    Options
    Thanks for your help.

The problem is, most of the items are designer ( Dior, Hilfiger, Ted Baker etc).

I have tried putting in a reserve price on EBay but the minimum I could put in was £50, I only wanted to put in £5!

I've also tried putting a few things in a bundle, but again I can't really justify £2-5 for a bundle of designer lightly used clothes.

This is why I'm stuck, there must be somewhere out there?
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 March 2013 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Your just going to have to accept your not going to get alot for them.

End day an item may have cost you £20 new but anything you sell second hand espically in the clothes department drops dramitcly...people just don't want second hand clothes.

The people that buy second hand clothes are on a budjet and won't be looking to spend a fiver on one t-shirt or pair of trosers (esp if they are 2nd hand!!)

99p an item is not a bad price considering how much baby clothes we rack up!

I would probally recommed gumtree in bundles - only to save on ebay fee's but you will probally find pricing them to high will just get lost in the ad's.

Facebook groups are good to. I have seen a few friends using them with sucess but everyone is just out for a bargin.

Ebay reserve price - Ignore this, if you don't want to accept a lower price just start them at the lowest your willing to sell. Usally designer clothes get found easily but it depends what others are selling at if you will get bids (but at least you wont let them go for nothing if thats what you want)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • NatalieW79
    Options
    eBay can make you money if you structure your offer right.So research some free guides on how to sell on eBay and you should be fine.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean about not wanting to sell designer stuff for a song (I have a distinct weakness for the baby Jasper Conran stuff myself) - but the most I've seen stuff going for on our local Gumtree was like £5 for something like a Ted Baker coat in a baby size.

I'm just grateful with two girls with a 1 year age gap at least I'll get decent wear twice out of my stuff!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Car boot sale?
    You'll get plenty of hagglers wanting something for nothing, but you should find one or two people happy to spend a few quid on something in good condition with a good name.

But ultimately, everyone's heard of eBay these days. If they sell for peanuts on eBay then why would anyone pay more for them anywhere?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hallas wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.

The problem is, most of the items are designer ( Dior, Hilfiger, Ted Baker etc).

I have tried putting in a reserve price on EBay but the minimum I could put in was £50, I only wanted to put in £5!

I've also tried putting a few things in a bundle, but again I can't really justify £2-5 for a bundle of designer lightly used clothes.

its simple really
    you start them for the least you will accept
    if its too high,they wont sell
  • BOBBIs_MUMMY
    Options
    Hallas wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.

Free listing on ebay over whole of Easter weekend (4 days) so you can list them at the price you'd like for them and won't loose any money if they don't sell. Don't forget postage prices go up next week with Royal Mail so make sure you charge enough for sending items
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure