Tesco Digital not honouring Tesco Entertainment Music Downloads

Options
Just a heads up to people that have used Tesco to Download music in the past. The new Tesco Digital site will not allow you to redownload your purchased tracks from the old Tesco Entertainment site. Therefore, if like me you have bought a new computer (or if you change your hard drive/ format your hard drive)- you wont be able to play the music you have bought as you can't get the licenses.

So I've just lost a chunk of my music collection :(

Below is the lovely email from Tesco customer services... (names have been removed to protect the guilty!)

'Thank you for your email.

I'm sorry to learn you have been unable to view your previous downloads in our new Tesco Digital website.

Unfortunately, I have to advise that we do not have the facility to transfer or view any tracks or albums previously purchased from the old Music Downloads service and we are unable to transfer these for you to our new Tesco Digital service.

Please accept my apologies for any disappointment caused'.

So far I haven't accepted their apologies(!). It seems that by rebranding from Tesco Entertainment to Tesco Digital they have decided it justifies deleting past purchases, making people's downloads worthless beyond their current computer. What the customer service people are saying does go against the claims made on the new site about safeguarding licenses, but i fear its going to be a losing battle!

Rant over, I'm off to calm down by listening to music. Or maybe not...!

Comments

• warris
    warris Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Spent a considerable sum on downloading albums and now they have all disappeared. I didnt even get the courtesy of a reply to my emails. Surly under the Sale of Goods Act the re downloads were part of the contract. I intend to write to Tesco HO and demand a portion of my money back, or the ability to redownload from the new site.

They havent even had the decency to put a note on the new site for old customers. They obviously dont care, well I for one wont be using Tesco again.
  • crispsandwich
    Options
    That's awful. And the bigwigs in the music industry wonder why people choose to download music illegally? They insult us by charging us as much as a CD costs for a format which is MUCH cheaper for them to produce and then make us jump through hoops to play/keep it by making us acquire licences which make the songs non-transferrable.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    That link is not allowed for legal reasons I'm afraid.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • crispsandwich
    Options
    Really?

Oh right. I thought it was perfectly legal to use them sites. Must have changed over the past couple of years. I look stupid now. I'll edit it.
  • Blacksheep1979
    Blacksheep1979 Posts: 4,224 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's a heads up - if you buy music on tapes and record over them the shop you bought them from won't give you another copy...
  • mancmum
    mancmum Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is disgraceful. I spent a lot of money downloading stuff onto an old computer because I thought I could do a re-load when I bought a new machines.

I think this calls for a campaign.
  • eyelinerprincess
    Options
    Really?

Oh right. I thought it was perfectly legal to use them sites. Must have changed over the past couple of years. I look stupid now. I'll edit it.
    It's the reason the other Russian music site closed, as it's Russian Law and not UK law, so the legality of it is somewhat cloudy.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
  • mdbarber
    mdbarber Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    doesn't the ms file and settings transfer wizard do this? move rights to new machine?
    click here to achieve nothing!
  • annoyed.com_2
    Options
    Just realised that my Tesco Digital account has disappeared into thin air. Spoke to Customer Services (who after cutting me off once) said that I should have been sent an email to inform of the need to re-register my account. Funnily enough I pointed out that I had not received an email and having enquired about my 45 singles download history, was told that only 10 tracks remain. I was offered an album voucher as an apology (so I'm only £37 out of pocket) I have since sent customer service every email confirmation for each download track on the promise that someone will get back in touch with me to sort the problem out. I'm not holding my breath.:mad: :mad:
    Livid doesn't quite describe me at the moment.
  • annoyed.com_2
    Options
    This reply from Tesco

> Thank you for your email.
    >
    > I was sorry to hear of the problems you are having with our new site.
    >
    > Tesco Music Downloads has been discontinued, and we have re-launched with a brand new supplier and website. The new service is called Tesco Digital.
    >
    > Sadly, customers from our old site will no longer be able to access there download history as our old site has been completely removed and access to our old suppliers records are no longer available.
    >
    > If you wish to access the facilities offered by the new site, all customers must register, or register again to use the site
    >
    > We are sorry of this causes any inconvenience, but hope that you will enjoy the many extra benefits that our new site offers over our old service.
    >
    > If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at [EMAIL="customer.service@tesco.co.uk"]customer.service@tesco.co.uk[/EMAIL]

:mad: Still livid..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport