Tiscali Broadband - Apple Mac Compatible?!

Options
Hiya,

I have had Tiscali 2meg Broadband (about to be reduced to £17.99 mthly) for the last few months with surprisingly no problems, given the amount of unsatisfied customers out there!

Anyway, I've been using an aging PC, and as its about to give up the ghost, I'm gonna get myself a new machine.

Am going for an Apple Mac, but Im worried that I wont be able to connect using Tiscali.

Having had a google about, Ive read many contradictory stories, some saying that there's no problem and that Tiscali is indeed 'Mac compatible' whereas others clearly state that you can't connect to the net using Tiscali BB on a Mac computer :confused:

Is there anyone out there using a Mac / Tiscali BB connection who can confirm that all is well with the world for them?!

Much obliged,
Cheers,

Jack :beer:

Comments

• jake_bullet_2
    Options
    It will work fine, "not mac compatible" is often used instead of the truth: "we know nothing about using a mac, don't ask us for help"

Do yourself a favour, use a router, not a modem. The usb type modems generally have badly written drivers and just cause trouble, get a wireless or ethernet adsl router and you don't have to install anything, just put your usename and password into the router and you're away..
  • Jack21_2
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys, looks like Im gonna have to invest in the extra equipment to be on the safe side..but how much is an etherner router / modem gonna cost me, and could any of you recommend any decent sites to buy from?!

Im spending enough on a Mac / TFT set up as it is and dont want to go overboard! :eek:

Thanks again,

Jack :T
  • Jack21_2
    Options
    Sorry, I meant *Thanks Jake!* :j
  • Jack21_2
    Options
    PS -

Jake,

What about this one from Netgear?

Would that be all I needed?

Cheers!
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    If you are not bothered about wireless, then the following adsl modem / router will do the job.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=11228479752&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449

I have one myself and it is a very good peice of kit, and for only £22.99 (Inc Vat) you can't go wrong.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Tidjypudds
    Options
    It will work fine, "not mac compatible" is often used instead of the truth: "we know nothing about using a mac, don't ask us for help"

Do yourself a favour, use a router, not a modem. The usb type modems generally have badly written drivers and just cause trouble, get a wireless or ethernet adsl router and you don't have to install anything, just put your usename and password into the router and you're away..
    Hi!

Just got my wireless router for my Tiscali Broadband, and obviously all the instructions for installation are in Windows language.

How exactly can I install it on my Mac? I'm on OS X if that helps?

Greatful for anyhelp here, I'm beat by it.

Cheers,

Pudds
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    Tidjypudds wrote: »
    Hi!

Just got my wireless router for my Tiscali Broadband, and obviously all the instructions for installation are in Windows language.

How exactly can I install it on my Mac? I'm on OS X if that helps?

Greatful for anyhelp here, I'm beat by it.

Cheers,

Pudds

Should just be a case of switch everything off. Plug Router into MAC with the Ethernet cable. Connect router to phone line.

Switch on MAC, Switch on Router.

Access the routers set-up page, by entering the IP address for the router into the address bar on your web-browser. Enter requested username and password and set-up from there if the details haven't been pre-entered for you.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • london2_2
    Options
    BexTech wrote: »
    Should just be a case of switch everything off. Plug Router into MAC with the Ethernet cable. Connect router to phone line.

Switch on MAC, Switch on Router.

Access the routers set-up page, by entering the IP address for the router into the address bar on your web-browser. Enter requested username and password and set-up from there if the details haven't been pre-entered for you.

You are quite right this is how it should work. I tried setting up a Tiscali broadband for a friend with a wireless router they provider (on a Mac) and while we can access the router and enter the details every-time I try to confim/save the setting I get a 'server not responding message'. Tiscali customer service no help. Anyone any idea what is going on here.
  • threeC
    Options
    You have to persist.
    The call center in India is extremely unhelpful to Mac users. If you have trouble they will suggest you contact Apple!

The fact is there are technicians who can set your Mac up with a Tiscali connection, finding them took me two days of constant haranguing and phone calls. They eventually gave me a month free as compensation. Just pray you dont have a power cut, like I've just had, and then have to go through the whole infernal process again.

Avoid Tiscali if you have a Mac. It's more trouble than it's worth.
  • scattermole
    Options
    I just had the experience described above but thought it was worth registering here to say that when i phoned their customer service line, the call centre lady was incredibly helpful and talked me through the manual set-up in a matter of minutes and now here I am online. So either they've responded to customer feedback or else I was just lucky. Either way, Tiscali + Mac doesn't always equal catastrophe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure