Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 21st Jan 08, 3:59 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Tyrone take Jack's car?
    • 21st Jan 08, 3:59 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Tyrone take Jack's car? 21st Jan 08 at 3:59 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Tyrone take Jack's car?

Best pals Jack, Vera, Tyrone and Kirk hold a monthly poker night, where they get together for a few beers and a friendly flutter. This week, however, the drinks have been flowing, and the game starts getting out of control. Soon, only Tyrone and Jack are left in the game. The stakes get higher and higher, way beyond what either can afford, until finally Jack throws the keys to his beloved £5,000 car into the pot. When Tyrone wins, Jack is absolutely distraught. He asks Tyrone let him keep the car, but Tyrone argues that a bet's a bet.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Bob get a lodger?
    Should Ken ‘save’ Deidre’s kids from being taken into care?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 23-01-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Page 1
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 22nd Jan 08, 11:05 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:05 PM
    • 22nd Jan 08, 11:05 PM
    No, he shouldn't take the car.
  • Glyn
    • 23rd Jan 08, 1:39 AM
    should Tyrone take Jacks car?
    • 23rd Jan 08, 1:39 AM
    No. Although a bet is a bet,,, they were all drunk. Anyway Vera has just died for goodness sake!
  • stogiebear
    • 23rd Jan 08, 5:03 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 5:03 AM
    Gamblers are weak fools.

Yes - keep the car. I certainly would and if the sap had a house I'd invite him round for another game.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 23rd Jan 08, 7:15 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:15 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:15 AM
    Nah he shouldn't take the car, he should demand the value of the car instead though!!!
    • UK007BullDog
    • By UK007BullDog 23rd Jan 08, 7:49 AM
    • 2,547 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    UK007BullDog
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:49 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:49 AM
    If he keeps the car he might have lost 1, 2 or even 3 best friends. Friendship is worth much more than an old 5K banger or any materialistic item.

I rather keep my friends. But it should be a valuable lesson to Jack. Dont drink and play poker.
  • p-e-t-e
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:54 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 7:54 AM
    No, they were drunk ...........and are best mates, you would not do that to a mate
  • Paul_V
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:13 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:13 AM
    Had Jack won the hand he would have taken all of Tyrone's money. Tough luck, hand over the log book.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 23rd Jan 08, 8:32 AM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:32 AM
    • 23rd Jan 08, 8:32 AM
    Tyrone should take the car and hopefully Jack will seek help to sort out his gambling problem. If you are drunk and can read a hand of cards then you are not to drunk to know what you are betting.
    • bigpat
    • By bigpat 23rd Jan 08, 8:33 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    bigpat
    Yes he should keep the car, but maybe give Jack the option to pay it off over time. And Jack shouldn't be so bleedin' stupid in the first place!
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 23rd Jan 08, 8:34 AM
    • 19,554 Posts
    • 25,522 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Never bet what you aren't prepared to lose.
    Jacks a greedy fool and a mug for putting his car in the pot.
    & Tyrone isn't the best pa; that he thinks that he is.

• nej
    • By nej 23rd Jan 08, 9:31 AM
    • 1,504 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nej
    No he shouldn't keep the car. It's his best mate for crying out loud. We don't know what the stakes were until the car keys hit the pot. Higher and higher could mean anything. They might normally play for pennies, and maybe the stakes went to £50 or £100. That would be Ok, but keeping a car would ruin the friendship.
    • ixwood
    • By ixwood 23rd Jan 08, 9:53 AM
    • 2,512 Posts
    • 1,987 Thanks
    ixwood
    lol. You can tell Jenny doesn't play poker. You can only play with cash that's already on the table. None of this I'll raise you a house/car crap. That stuff only happens on only fools and horses etc.

• antbarson
    • By antbarson 23rd Jan 08, 10:27 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    antbarson
    No, he should not keep the car. While it is unrealistic and would not happen in real life ("I raise you my car") it was a 'friendly flutter', so no.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 23rd Jan 08, 10:30 AM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    yes he should take the car as a bet is a bet ..

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • lardaholics anonymous
    • By lardaholics anonymous 23rd Jan 08, 10:59 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    lardaholics anonymous
    Keep the car for a week
    Keep the car for a week or even a day to rub his nose in the stupid bet, worry him and put an end to future stupid bets. Next time, set a reasonable table limit.
  • Horris
    He should keep the car for a few days. Then return the car and give Jack some friendly advice about his gambling, other people might not be so charitable next time.

Anyhow, Jack needs the car to get to Vera's funeral
  • Yakyb
    it depends would he have returned his money had he won ( i think not)

also what does the table normally go up to if they play regularly

as a mate i would say no dont keep the car but if in the past the games have reached 1k before and Tyrone has lost a few times its just the game evening up
    they should have kept a recorded of winnings and loses to see how things are evening up as we dont know whether or not jack walks away each week winning 500 in which case keep the car
    Money To Claim Back in Taxes = 0
    Money To Claim back from Insurance = 3000
    current Mortgage Level = payment 1 coming up
  • chrissie55
    he's an eejit!
    I wd take the motor off the stupid man - he staked it - & let him have it back after a coupla weeks,on condition that we change the rules to playing for pennies only! Serious gambling is seriously stupid.
    • hmaffin
    • By hmaffin 23rd Jan 08, 1:51 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    hmaffin
    He should keep the car for a few days. Then return the car and give Jack some friendly advice about his gambling, other people might not be so charitable next time.

Anyhow, Jack needs the car to get to Vera's funeral
    Originally posted by Horris
    Exactly my thoughts. The man only just lost his wife!

Kidding. I think he should give him the advice definately - people shouldn't gamble with friends - play for quality street chocolates or something - make it FUN not fraught. And stop drinking so much, eejit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,586Posts Today

9,478Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin