How long for Special Delivery to track?

Options
An item was posted last night around 5pm with Special Delivery 9am. It hasn't turned up but it may come tomorrow instead if it missed the last collection.

When I track it on Royal Mails website it says "Come back later -
Special Delivery™ 9am items are first tracked when they reached our mail centre. This may be late in the evening on the day the item was sent."

SURELY it should be at a mail centre by now???

Comments

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    in my experience tracking is a waste of time. and thats with the so called best couriers such as DHL etc...
    god only knows what the RM is like. not many peeps there have even seen a computer yet.
    Get some gorm.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,230 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The person receiving the packet signs a piece of paper and I believe that the confirmation of the delivery is only entered on the computer when the postman returns to the sorting office.

Posting at 5pm it is possible that the last collection had already been and so it would take a day longer than expected after being picked up this morning. The PO should have told you about this when you posted it. If you look on the back of the SD receipt they will have written on the guaranteed delivery date.
  • D4WNO
    D4WNO Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fantastic, thank you both :)
  • TightFisted
    Options
    Tracking starts at around 10pm on the day of item entering the system & we've had a few recently that have been sent at 3pm & not arrived until the second day (Claiming Postage costs back)

PO written the date of the next day & our PO has a cut off of 5pm, so I guess the Sorting office is to blame?

Can you enlighten us Custardy???
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    hes still trying to connect his abacus onto the net.
    Get some gorm.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ormus wrote: »
    hes still trying to connect his abacus onto the net.

i get similar attitude on the phone at work.
    seldom in person:rolleyes:
  • custardy
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    The person receiving the packet signs a piece of paper and I believe that the confirmation of the delivery is only entered on the computer when the postman returns to the sorting office.

Posting at 5pm it is possible that the last collection had already been and so it would take a day longer than expected after being picked up this morning. The PO should have told you about this when you posted it. If you look on the back of the SD receipt they will have written on the guaranteed delivery date.

your kind of mixing sd & rd
    sd's should track from hitting the mail centres.
    now keep in mind ive barely set foot in a mailcentre let alone worked in one.
    what im gussing happens is if an sd item mises the 'cut 'off' then the mail centre wont scan them in until the next days run of sd's arrive.
    otherwise it would be flagged on their system they recieved an SD and held it for a day.
  • custardy
    Options
    Tracking starts at around 10pm on the day of item entering the system & we've had a few recently that have been sent at 3pm & not arrived until the second day (Claiming Postage costs back)

PO written the date of the next day & our PO has a cut off of 5pm, so I guess the Sorting office is to blame?

Can you enlighten us Custardy???

well you have to look at the whole journey.
    all it can take is a van to break down to throw a spanner in the works.
    poor weather can cause real issues for us given a lot of items are flown to edinburgh,for example
  • D4WNO
    D4WNO Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you guys, I'll check it again late this evening :)
  • andreweastell
    Options
    Sounds like you missed the last post. I believe it will be delivered tomorrow although Royal Mail wouldn't guarantee Saturday delivery they usually do deliver it that day.
    Cheers
    Andrew
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family