Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vintagegirl
    • By vintagegirl 15th Jan 20, 4:35 PM
    • 760Posts
    • 294Thanks
    vintagegirl
    Work expenses
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:35 PM
    Work expenses 15th Jan 20 at 4:35 PM
    Hi there I wondered how you would deal with this. I gave my budget sorted out the way I want but I have a few work trips I need to go away for.
    I need to at petrol, hotel and some meals in advance and claim it back. That can add up and takes anything up to a month to claim back,
    What would you do?
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 15th Jan 20, 4:54 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:54 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 4:54 PM
    Dip into savings
    Use a credit card
    Ask work for an advance

Not in any particular order
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 15th Jan 20, 5:01 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:01 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:01 PM
    Can your employer not book your hotel on a bed and breakfast with evening meal direct and pay?
    • vintagegirl
    • By vintagegirl 15th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    vintagegirl
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:07 PM
    Can your employer not book your hotel on a bed and breakfast with evening meal direct and pay?
    Originally posted by comeandgo
    No we have to book and claim back
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    • 20,537 Posts
    • 52,420 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:09 PM
    So what happens if you tell them you're not able to do that?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • vintagegirl
    • By vintagegirl 15th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    vintagegirl
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 5:22 PM
    So what happens if you tell them you're not able to do that?
    Originally posted by elsien
    Not sure never askEd. I probably wouldn’t because it would be embarrassing as other people are going with me
    • kazmeister
    • By kazmeister 15th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 53,106 Thanks
    kazmeister
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 7:35 PM
    Not sure never asked. I probably wouldn’t because it would be embarrassing as other people are going with me
    Originally posted by vintagegirl
    They might be just as pleased that you asked!
    Lost my wings, need to learn to fly again
    • DD265
    • By DD265 15th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 1,894 Posts
    • 4,506 Thanks
    DD265
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:06 PM
    I don't travel much for work at the moment, but I used to have a work expenses category in my budget. Work will book hotels directly, and I have a separate fuel category, so it was only food I needed to worry about and the bills weren't huge. I would take it out of my discretionary spending budget, then put the money back in when it had been repaid.

If you have to travel regularly, or the bills end up being very large, I think you need to talk to HR/finance about having a direct booking system at work, or a company credit card.
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 15th Jan 20, 8:11 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    2e0arr
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:11 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 8:11 PM
    when i started a job out of university i was told id have to reclaim expenses and get paid following month. i checked companies employee handbook and my contract and nothing about expenses.

it was difficult for me because i was on 12 month probation.

i told the truth i had mortgage wife child cats and overdraft maxed out. i asked would they pay me an advance of expenses and they did. Yet second time i asked they gave me a company credit card.

you cannot be disciplined or sacked for not having money to pay for your companies business.
    Last edited by 2e0arr; 15-01-2020 at 8:17 PM. Reason: typos
    • Unicorn cottage
    • By Unicorn cottage 15th Jan 20, 8:18 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Unicorn cottage
    If you are not happy to speak to your employer would a credit card option be open to you?
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness"
    • sunflowerlady
    • By sunflowerlady 15th Jan 20, 8:51 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    sunflowerlady
    Ask your HR department for an advance to cover these costs and then provide them with VAT receipts for everything you spend. Any shortfall they can then deduct from your salary.
    Jan 2020: Loan £3,576.17, Credit Cards £42,401.86, Store Card £1,833.61, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £50,111.64 / 1% = £501.12

Jan 2020 Update: Loan £3,301.08, Credit Cards £41,333.86, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £46,934.94 / 1% = £469.35
    • Andyjflet
    • By Andyjflet 16th Jan 20, 10:24 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Andyjflet
    I used to do this and the company should give you a "float" to cover out of pocket expenses. IIRC we used to get £250 a month float. Then we moved over to company credit cards for travel and hotels, meals etc
    Baby Step 1 - £0 saved for emergency fund
    M&S Loan £14446 inc interest full term
    M&S Credit card 0% £3787.80
    Hitachi Loan 0% £173.44 ends March 2020
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 16th Jan 20, 12:44 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 3,186 Thanks
    Sharon87
    Yes companies should pay for it in advance, whether that's booking the hotel on a company card, give you per diems or an allowance for food. For fuel usually that's done on expense, unless they give you a cash float.

I work in TV and we don't expect our staff on location to cover any expenses themselves, but some like to pay on their AMEX cards to get airmiles and expense them back.

If I were you and had a cashback card or AMEX I would use those to get some benefits of booking the hotels/food yourself (you can use hotels.com/ebookers through Quidco and get cashback yourself as a little perk). If you can afford to pay up front either in cash or a credit card, then you can earn a bit of money from booking work trips! As long as you know the company is reliable at paying expenses at least!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Jan 20, 12:54 PM
    • 20,537 Posts
    • 52,420 Thanks
    elsien
    when i started a job out of university i was told id have to reclaim expenses and get paid following month. i checked companies employee handbook and my contract and nothing about expenses.

it was difficult for me because i was on 12 month probation.

i told the truth i had mortgage wife child cats and overdraft maxed out. i asked would they pay me an advance of expenses and they did. Yet second time i asked they gave me a company credit card.

you cannot be disciplined or sacked for not having money to pay for your companies business.
    Originally posted by 2e0arr
    Not strictly accurate. Your employment can be terminated for any reason in the first two years unless one of the protected characteristics apply.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • TryingAgain2022
    • By TryingAgain2022 16th Jan 20, 8:46 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    TryingAgain2022
    Just to add, good luck and iI agree with previous replies - let your HR know that you are not able to bankroll the firm at this time, and ask for an advance or to borrow the company credit card on this occasion (they will have one).

I used to lash out up to £1500 a month for work expenses and claim it back the following month. The hassle of claiming it back plus the habit of using a credit card for work was a big factor in my buildup of debt - my own fault, for being disorganised and falling into bad habits, but you are being sensible and already know that this is not manageable.

I don't think it hurts to ask the question. There is no shame in having a budget (quite the opposite!) and not wanting to break it.
    Start:Oct 2019: £23,954 -- NOW Virgin £2207 (BOO for loss of Dec income!) Markses £1840 Halifax £6721 Loan £7570 Family loan £5900 TOTAL £23,898 -- Paid off: £-304
    BOO but small steps. Target: Aug 2023 LBM: monthly pay but weekly spend doh
    • London Town
    • By London Town 17th Jan 20, 3:36 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    London Town
    Another vote here for getting a credit card exclusively for this purpose. If you don't go away much, just keep it on standby for when you do.

I travel for my job a few times a month and have to claim back hotel, food and fuel bills. I got myself a cash back card, but you could also get one that gives you points that work for you, John Lewis, Tesco or Sainsburys for instance.

I'd never know where I was, (or even have the money!) if I had to pay expenses out of my current account and then claim them back.
    • OnlyPariah
    • By OnlyPariah 17th Jan 20, 4:15 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    OnlyPariah
    I used to have a Cashback credit card that I would earn money on the things bought for expenses. Then pay it off each month. I used to have to buy fuel myself and then claim it back and since I used to spend £300 a month on fuel I used to quickly rack up the points. I had a lot less outgoings then though.
    Last edited by OnlyPariah; 17-01-2020 at 4:16 PM. Reason: Typos
    Tesco £7647.88 £7,488.96 Asda £2,552 £2,300 Virgin ££4,204.95 £4,204.95
    Halifax £2,853 £2,796.64 Barclaycard £7,866.32 £7,866.32 Wedding £488 EF £63
    • Bizzywizard
    • By Bizzywizard 17th Jan 20, 6:08 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bizzywizard
    I'm a business owner and would not expect my employees to pay for their hotel and food. A lot of companies have an account with say Holiday Inn and get it cheaper rate as a group booking. It is worth asking HR or the boss as you should not be out of pocket, as its cheaper for them to do a group booking. Petrol is a normal expense to be paid the following month (unless you live in London). I used to have a floating amount (from a company when I was a rep years ago). This was when I lived in London as my parking charges alone were £8 an hour! That's £57 a day, £280 per week in total £1120 a month! Do you have a reasonable boss? If so go and chat to him/her, rather than HR (if you even have one). Hope this helps! Bizzy
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 18th Jan 20, 2:14 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,083 Thanks
    Takmon
    Not sure never askEd. I probably wouldn’t because it would be embarrassing as other people are going with me
    Originally posted by vintagegirl
    Don't be embarrassed, lots of people prefer not to pay for work expenses and claim them back for a variety of reasons. Whenever I go away for work I always pay for the entire groups hotels and food etc and then claim it all back myself. It works well for me because I like to choose the hotel and get cashback on my credit card and they like only having to worry about claiming it back.
    So see if anyone in your group wants to do this, if they also use a cashback card they might quite like the idea.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

30Posts Today

3,375Users online

Martin's Twitter