Work expenses

Hi there I wondered how you would deal with this. I gave my budget sorted out the way I want but I have a few work trips I need to go away for.
I need to at petrol, hotel and some meals in advance and claim it back. That can add up and takes anything up to a month to claim back,
What would you do?

Comments

• pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,934
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dip into savings
    Use a credit card
    Ask work for an advance

Not in any particular order
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,731
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Can your employer not book your hotel on a bed and breakfast with evening meal direct and pay?
  • comeandgo wrote: »
    Can your employer not book your hotel on a bed and breakfast with evening meal direct and pay?

No we have to book and claim back
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    So what happens if you tell them you're not able to do that?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsien wrote: »
    So what happens if you tell them you're not able to do that?

Not sure never askEd. I probably wouldn’t because it would be embarrassing as other people are going with me
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure never asked. I probably wouldn’t because it would be embarrassing as other people are going with me

They might be just as pleased that you asked!
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I don't travel much for work at the moment, but I used to have a work expenses category in my budget. Work will book hotels directly, and I have a separate fuel category, so it was only food I needed to worry about and the bills weren't huge. I would take it out of my discretionary spending budget, then put the money back in when it had been repaid.

If you have to travel regularly, or the bills end up being very large, I think you need to talk to HR/finance about having a direct booking system at work, or a company credit card.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 8:17PM
    when i started a job out of university i was told id have to reclaim expenses and get paid following month. i checked companies employee handbook and my contract and nothing about expenses.

it was difficult for me because i was on 12 month probation.

i told the truth i had mortgage wife child cats and overdraft maxed out. i asked would they pay me an advance of expenses and they did. Yet second time i asked they gave me a company credit card.

you cannot be disciplined or sacked for not having money to pay for your companies business.
  • If you are not happy to speak to your employer would a credit card option be open to you?
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Ask your HR department for an advance to cover these costs and then provide them with VAT receipts for everything you spend. Any shortfall they can then deduct from your salary.
    Jan 2020: Loan £3,576.17, Credit Cards £42,401.86, Store Card £1,833.61, Overdrafts £2,300.00. Total Debt: £50,111.64 / 1% = £501.12

Jun 2020 Update: Loan £1,925.63, Credit Cards £37,541.74Overdrafts £1,540.00 Total Debt: £41,007.37 / 1% = £410.07

Jan 2021 Update: Credit Cards £34,189.49, Overdrafts £900 Total Debt: £35,089.49 / 1% = £350.89
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure